OT: Motorcycles, need help from bikers

twosticks

• Members

Okay, Me and the wife took the M/C safety course last weekend, my wife has a bike and stating to save up and shop around for my first bike.

Two main things I'm thinking about right now:

A) In the training class, we were riding 250cc street bikes. As a beginner, I liked them and I felt like I had better control than on the bigger bikes.

I most want a bike that I could ride back and forth to work (13 miles away) ride around town and on the highways nearby, Not really any interstate riding. I feel it would be best to ride it for few years and get good on it and then move up. If I still like it, I'll just keep riding it.

B)I have heard (Wife and co-worker being a few) that is best to go a size up at the start because it won't be long and you'll be wanting a bigger bike, heavier bike or more speed to ride more places.

Wife has 500cc and is a liitle heavy for me right now, she rode smaller bike a little bit 20-30 years ago. but I could see myself maybe getting used to a 500 shortly. Her son was moving it around when she first got it and she was mad for him messing with it so I haven't tried it out even though she would like me to ride it once. But maybe it might help me decide???

But, like another co-worker that rides said "is better to start out where I'm comfortable rather getting a bigger bike that I'm kinda scared to ride but afraid to wimp out and sell it and then I wind up with a bike that I've paid for and not rode and it winds up mostly rusting and dry rotting away".

Then again I would hate to get a small bike only to wish I had gotten a bigger bike within a year. I just like the feel and weight of the 250cc while I'm still getting used to the controls, steering, etc.

Please let me know what you think. I truly welcome any tips or comments!! Thanks :thu:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what a Gixxer is. But if it was me, look for a Honda Shadow. I think they're around 600 to 1100 cc, which isn't as big as it sounds. You will out grow a small bike. I took the bike safety course and had a blast on the 250's, got yeld at a lot for jumping on it, but one of the instructors was a chick and she liked me so they didn't through me out.

You need to get what you're comfortable with. If you're afraid or timmid of it, you may have an accident- bad. Do you haver any buddys around that have bikes you can test drive? Try that. Once a bike is up to speed, not fast, it isn't gonna fall over, it can't. It's stopping, starting, watching out for god knows everything, taking turns and so on. If it were me, I'd go with like an 1100. 5k-6.5k new. Not a lot for a good bike that looks nice and pretty much never breaks down.

• Members

nighthawk 650,it's not that big,but keep one thing in mind,if fear even crosses your mind,dont get a bike,sure receipe for disaster.

i've been riding for 30 years and that is some of the best advice money can buy.

there are crotch rockets that are 250cc,but if your comfy on the 250 why not check into an induro ,250 you can ride both street and dirt] a great way to learn and build experiance.

• Members

OK first off, you have to decide the kind of riding you like to do...sportbike, cruising etc. When you ride, do you like to sit straight up or leaned forward. Is the bike only for short trips or do you really plan to get involved in riding. You also want something that fits you. It's not necessarily the weight of the bigger bikes that can be a problem, it's more of the position and height ratio.

Ok...something you also need to think about, you want something big enough to dare I say, get out of the way if trouble should arise. Mobility and flexibility are a key factor when riding in traffic. A 250 on a parking lot with no cars around doing crazy crap like weaving in and out, may be fine, but put you in a lane with an 18 wheeler or a cement truck or even a Chevy Suburban, and you may feel a little skimpy, much less not have enough umph to get moving.

I'm and old fart as you know. I like to sit upright and comfortable, and I don't want my knees up around my chin. I like relaxed and confident. I can't and won't ride on sport bikes. They're fine for the younger crew, but my frame doesn't seem to want to fit theirs. My son has one...152 hp Yamaha. He says get on for a spin, but don't ham fist the throttle cause you can stand the bike in 4 gears. I don't need that in my life at this stage of the game. But I gave it a whirl. (His exact words..."sit down, lean forward and lat down on the tank, yeah...now bring your leg back and tuck it in on the peg, yeah that's it...now put your head down and look straight through this small windshield." Needless to say, in the words of the imortal Buddy Hackett..."I'm round, my body doesn't bend like that any more!" I abruptly removed myself from that machine post haste...

Stix...;listen...stand up straight like normal. Now bend your legs just a little at the knees. And here's the fun part...have your wife now measure the inseam from the ground to your happy place and your butt seat. That is the seat height of the bike you should be going for. While sitting on the bike, you should be flat footed, with a little bend in your knees. That's so when you come to a stop, you can plant your feet and have no problem in maintaining control of the balance of the bike.

As far as brands go...here's the short and skinny. I'm a Harley guy but I'm not going there...at least for now. The bikes who are really making a mark are of course Honda (but their product is slipping a little) Yamaha (who is now "Star Motorcycles") Suzuki, Kawasaki (they are really starting to fade off in the distance) and Victory. There are lots of other smaller manufacturers out there, but you have to consider "service" and accesibility. Do you want to drive a hundred miles to get an oil change or any repair? Not me, so those are the biggies. I will tell you "Star" (Yamaha) makes a wonderful bike and they have a 650 that could be up your alley. But keep in mind, the smaller the engine, the less umph. You don't have to be a big daddy Don Garlits off the line, but you also don't want to take 15 sec to get up to 60mph when you really need to get out of the way either. The key here is bike balance, size, weight distribution, and comfortability for you. That's the ticket to the best biking experience.

Sorry for being long winded. I've looked at them all...every year now...AND LOVING IT!!!:thu:

PM me for more info cause this is probably boring the guys with the long post...

• Members

i really like the kawi 1600 classic,40 mpg ,what do you think about that bike carmine? power and efficent.

Kawasaki's have always been good bikes. For some reason though, except for the Nomad, that haven't been very hot sellers...at least to my knowledge. And the Vulcans of all sizes are a pretty good bet and band for the buck. I's be cautious as to how the company is doing. You don't want to buy a bike with a company who is on the edge. I don't ever hear about them making much news, but they are great bikes all in all.

Here's a big piece of trivia for ya...one of the guys I went to school with and played in Brass Managerie with (a horn band out of Baltimore in the late 70's) actually wrote the infamous "Kawasaki let's the Good Times Roll" His name was Doug Bull, a trumpeter out of Towson State...and I still remember

Kawasaki let's the Good Times Roll

Kawasaki let's the Good Times Roll

Get aboard get away and you're gonna say

Let the Good Times Roll.

He still gets residuals from that piece...man!!!:thu:

• Members

Sorry, but I am are Harley fan (Softail Deluxe). All others try to look and sound like them.

A heavy bike is actually safer than a light one. A good heavy bike should be perfectly balanced so it feels light when you pick it up off the kickstand and while your on the road. You get a lot more stability with a heavy bike...especially when you pass an oncoming semi and the wind blast that follows. As far as CC's go...dont let a big number scare you. A smaller CC bike is actually much quicker off the line and is much more zippy. Which equals danger. The only time you will tell the difference is starting off and hitting freeway speeds. Big CC bikes take more to get going and sound like they are idling down the freeway. Which makes for a much more comfortable ride since its not vibrating as much as a smaller bike.

I have been riding for over 20 years and the road your about to go down is very addicting. Its no longer transportation but a lifestyle. The solitude, the smells, the scenery...you will get hooked and you will want a bigger bike.

Nimble is what your looking for now because your new, but stability is what you really want.

• Members

Sorry, but I am are Harley fan (Softail Deluxe). All others try to look and sound like them.

A heavy bike is actually safer than a light one. A good heavy bike should be perfectly balanced so it feels light when you pick it up off the kickstand and while your on the road. You get a lot more stability with a heavy bike...especially when you pass an oncoming semi and the wind blast that follows. As far as CC's go...dont let a big number scare you. A smaller CC bike is actually much quicker off the line and is much more zippy. Which equals danger. The only time you will tell the difference is starting off and hitting freeway speeds. Big CC bikes take more to get going and sound like they are idling down the freeway. Which makes for a much more comfortable ride since its not vibrating as much as a smaller bike.

I have been riding for over 20 years and the road your about to go down is very addicting. Its no longer transportation but a lifestyle. The solitude, the smells, the scenery...you will get hooked and you will want a bigger bike.

Nimble is what your looking for now because your new, but stability is what you really want.

+100:thu:

I ride a 2000 Fatboy...the Deluxe is a very pretty bike!:thu:

• Members

Okay, Me and the wife took the M/C safety course last weekend, my wife has a bike and stating to save up and shop around for my first bike.

Two main things I'm thinking about right now:

A) In the training class, we were riding 250cc street bikes. As a beginner, I liked them and I felt like I had better control than on the bigger bikes.

I most want a bike that I could ride back and forth to work (13 miles away) ride around town and on the highways nearby, Not really any interstate riding. I feel it would be best to ride it for few years and get good on it and then move up. If I still like it, I'll just keep riding it.

B)I have heard (Wife and co-worker being a few) that is best to go a size up at the start because it won't be long and you'll be wanting a bigger bike, heavier bike or more speed to ride more places.

Wife has 500cc and is a liitle heavy for me right now, she rode smaller bike a little bit 20-30 years ago. but I could see myself maybe getting used to a 500 shortly. Her son was moving it around when she first got it and she was mad for him messing with it so I haven't tried it out even though she would like me to ride it once. But maybe it might help me decide???

But, like another co-worker that rides said "is better to start out where I'm comfortable rather getting a bigger bike that I'm kinda scared to ride but afraid to wimp out and sell it and then I wind up with a bike that I've paid for and not rode and it winds up mostly rusting and dry rotting away".

Then again I would hate to get a small bike only to wish I had gotten a bigger bike within a year. I just like the feel and weight of the 250cc while I'm still getting used to the controls, steering, etc.

Please let me know what you think. I truly welcome any tips or comments!! Thanks
:thu:

The style of bike you get is more relevant when one considers how big the engine is.

For example, a 500cc sport bike will for the most part, out perform most v-twins in terms of "get yourself in trouble".

I like cruisers with big V-twins. Mine is a 1300cc, which when I got it was more than likely too big for me since I dropped it with only 13 miles on the odo from the clutch still being "grabby" because it was so new. Later I went off the road, broke my left wrist, during a group ride - I still do some group rides, but not as many...and usually only with people I know.

But, after having it a couple years, I'd rather have something bigger, meaner, etc, but there's not really anything out there that is, and still remains within my budget.

OTOH, I've also considered getting a sport bike as a commuter. My cruiser is great for wide open roads, it's loud and proud. Having that much chrome sitting in a parking lot where many people of lesser morals reside, is asking for it to get stolen. I've thought about a 500cc Ninja...should suffice nicely and is still relatively cheap. Insurance won't be as bad too...

Which is another consideration - if it's a sport bike, insurance will SUCK.

• Members

Last I checked, Harley is doing what it can to sound like everyone else. It's the aftermarket parts that allow it to sound more like what people think of as a H-D. Granted, that odd-ass idle is part of the sound, but hell, even my honda can do that if I drop the idle down low enough and make it run rich/lean.

I do give HD credit though, they have more aftermarket parts than any other.

As for the lifestyle - nah. Some people buy a bike and think they belong in Easy Rider...but those are posers. Most people I've met on bikes (any make/model/style) are just regular joes, and are among the best people I've come across - somewhat like the classic car circuits....

• Members

Yeah, in a few months you are going to want a bigger bike, 250cc aint much, 400 will do ya, 650 is just about right. If you are just commuting and carry a lot of stuff around with you, and you want more wind/rain protection, check into Suzuki Burgman 650. It's an automatic CVT just twist and go fast. Will do 120mph+ gets around 60mpg and plenty or storage, and you get added wind/rain protection. No gas tank between your legs, and you can stretch out and move around. Lot's of aftermarket and stuff to tweak your ride. It really rides like a mini goldwing man. I think you'll love it if you ride it.

• Members

You don't change your own oil?

I do now, but when I was under a service warranty, I had to go to my dealer. I do all fluid work now,and virtually all repairs except motor work. I've rewired the rear end a couple of times too.

But I do believe in convenience when necessary. I looked at a BMW 1200 CLC once, but the only dealer was way up in Baltimore. If I broke down or needed a service, it would have been a big pain in the petutti! Lot's of people work on Harleys or metric cruisers now! A big plus in my book...:thu:

• Members

Are you really sure you want to do this? cuz I've riding for some twenty years also and there are a lot of crazy SOBs out there who will unenexpectably take you out because of bad driving skills and lack of vision.............been there many times and my best advice would be to get a motorcycle thats light and nimble to handle untill you become familiar how to operate a motorcycle without injuring yourself in the process,a lot of deaths occur because of this,just check out your state motorcycle death statistic. My suggestion would be to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250,they're plentiful and cheap and a good starting point for you to learn on but what ever you do do not develop the disease of fixation going through a curve,it'll get you every time,look around and through the curve to the direction you want to exit,do not down shift in a curve,you do that before you enter it, always enter the curve at a speed you feel most comfortable with and as your going through the curve,apply just enough throttle to assist in turning the motorcycle in the curve and to plant the back tire for traction. It takes time to learn just don't push above your riding skills and these will become natural action once you get time on the saddle. Good luck and be SAFE out there.

• Members

I do now, but when I was under a service warranty, I had to go to my dealer. I do all fluid work now,and virtually all repairs except motor work. I've rewired the rear end a couple of times too.

But I do believe in convenience when necessary. I looked at a BMW 1200 CLC once, but the only dealer was way up in Baltimore. If I broke down or needed a service, it would have been a big pain in the petutti! Lot's of people work on Harleys or metric cruisers now! A big plus in my book...
:thu:

Someone fed you a line of bullshi* - you do not have to go to the dealer for warranty/repair work.

There's a law about it...the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

• Members

Are you really sure you want to do this? cuz I've riding for some twenty years also and there are a lot of crazy SOBs out there who will unenexpectably take you out because of bad driving skills and lack of vision.............been there many times and my best advice would be to get a motorcycle thats light and nimble to handle untill you become familiar how to operate a motorcycle without injuring yourself in the process,a lot of deaths occur because of this,just check out your state motorcycle death statistic. My suggestion would be to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250,they're plentiful and cheap and a good starting point for you to learn on but what ever you do do not develop the disease of fixation going through a curve,it'll get you every time,look around and through the curve to the direction you want to exit,do not down shift in a curve,you do that before you enter it, always enter the curve at a speed you feel most comfortable with and as your going through the curve,apply just enough throttle to assist in turning the motorcycle in the curve and to plant the back tire for traction. It takes time to learn just don't push above your riding skills and these will become natural action once you get time on the saddle. Good luck and be SAFE out there.

Dude already took the MSF course...no need to recap.

• Members

Last I checked, Harley is doing what it can to sound like everyone else. It's the aftermarket parts that allow it to sound more like what people think of as a H-D. Granted, that odd-ass idle is part of the sound, but hell, even my honda can do that if I drop the idle down low enough and make it run rich/lean.

I do give HD credit though, they have more aftermarket parts than any other.

As for the lifestyle - nah. Some people buy a bike and think they belong in Easy Rider...but those are posers. Most people I've met on bikes (any make/model/style) are just regular joes, and are among the best people I've come across - somewhat like the classic car circuits....

Harley is trying to sound like Honda? I dont think so.

And yes, it is a lifestyle regardless of what brand you ride.

• Members

Yeah, in a few months you are going to want a bigger bike, 250cc aint much, 400 will do ya, 650 is just about right. If you are just commuting and carry a lot of stuff around with you, and you want more wind/rain protection, check into Suzuki Burgman 650. It's an automatic CVT just twist and go fast. Will do 120mph+ gets around 60mpg and plenty or storage, and you get added wind/rain protection. No gas tank between your legs, and you can stretch out and move around. Lot's of aftermarket and stuff to tweak your ride. It really rides like a mini goldwing man. I think you'll love it if you ride it.

Yeah, but its a big moped. Automatic deduction in man points when ridden.

• Members

Your honda will not sound like a harley unless it is a 45 degree twin, both jugs run on the same crank-pin, and the older ones had 1 coil and fired both jugs at the same time. These are what made the sound unique.

• Members

A motorcycle is just a big bicycle anyway, I got 2 wheels v twin cruising 85mph down the interstate right along side goldwings and harleys passing all the big trucks . Only lose man points if you give a {censored}. not too concerned with looking tough, that's the wrong reason to ride.

Yeah, but its a big moped. Automatic deduction in man points when ridden.

• Members

Dude already took the MSF course...no need to recap.

:facepalm: Bring your bike down to Western NC and I'll give you a tour of the tail of the dragon to see what you've learned in the class room and what minimal safety tactics they try to teach, safety and knowledge in handling a motorcycle comes from miles and miles under one's belt,not some class room,same principle when it comes to drums,practice,practice.

This my motorcycle,had it close to twenty years,lets see your motorcycles guys,post'em

JacksBMW.jpg' alt='>'>

Archived