All hard rock is the same.

1001gear

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the fact that many people have to drink to enjoy music to be absolutely pathetic.

Which has less actual bearing on the topic of underage kids having access to live music venues where adults go or not than you apparently think.

Are you even old enough to go to bars?

Sure, there ARE people who make drinking booze the end-all, be-all, but there are probably just as many who really could care less. MOST people in bars watching bands are drinking as a default social interaction thing. I doubt very many of them HAVE to drink to do anything, much less enjoy music.

Myself...don't drink, never have.

But I'd rather go to a 21 and over only club to see a band than an all-ages venue, both due to the crowd AND the typical entertainment quality level.

• Members

Meanwhile, Rollins band is dark and hard - but only.

Really lame tune wise.

Also, Cult of Personality is one of my least favorite tunes. I don't know any other Living Color per that one tune.

Why do all these bands use the lamest pentatonic motifs for the vocal part? Do they like sit around and test different notes until they find the 5 good ones and if the tape was rolling that'll be the song?

Megadeth was pretty cool guitar and drum wise - harmonically static but tight interesting rhythmic interplay.

The opening had the same pentaton ITIS though. It's the melody you hear right after the guy goes, "we'd like to do an original now ... "

groan :lol:

• Members

Which has less actual bearing on the topic of underage kids having access to live music venues where adults go or not than you apparently think.

Are you even old enough to go to bars?

Sure, there ARE people who make drinking booze the end-all, be-all, but there are probably just as many who really could care less. MOST people in bars watching bands are drinking as a default social interaction thing. I doubt very many of them HAVE to drink to do anything, much less enjoy music.

Myself...don't drink, never have.

But I'd rather go to a 21 and over only club to see a band than an all-ages venue, both due to the crowd AND the typical entertainment quality level.

Whatever, I just think it's bull{censored} that, for example, a band like Mastadon plays a bar when at least half their fanbase is underage. Half the bands the play the bar circuit in my town play for a stupidly long amount of a time (Who wants to hear crappy rehashed DK tunes for 45 minutes?) with a bunch of phony stage banter in between whenever they actually do play all-ages shows. The bands that play predominantly all-ages shows tend to be better and a whole hell of a lot more energetic in my experience. To me, bar shows turn music from an inclusive art form to an exclusive art form, and that's bull{censored}. I think even 16+ shows are dumb. I volunteer at a local all-ages venue and sometimes the owner's toddler is there and gets into the music and that's the coolest thing. The fact that some bands refuse to be a part of that, insist on being paid for everything, combined with a lot of bars' rules about moshing etc, etc is nauseating. "Bar punk" bands aren't punk and never have been or will be.

• Members

Whatever, I just think it's bull{censored} that, for example, a band like Mastadon plays a bar when
at least
half their fanbase is underage. Half the bands the play the bar circuit in my town play for a stupidly long amount of a time (Who wants to hear crappy rehashed DK tunes for 45 minutes?) with a bunch of phony stage banter in between whenever they actually do play all-ages shows. The bands that play predominantly all-ages shows tend to be better and a whole hell of a lot more energetic in my experience. To me, bar shows turn music from an inclusive art form to an exclusive art form, and that's bull{censored}. I think even 16+ shows are dumb. I volunteer at a local all-ages venue and sometimes the owner's toddler is there and gets into the music and that's the coolest thing. The fact that some bands refuse to be a part of that, insist on being paid for everything, combined with a lot of bars' rules about moshing etc, etc is nauseating. "Bar punk" bands aren't punk and never have been or will be.

With all due respect, your coming across as a bit of an idealist who doesnt really understand yet how the real world works. Heres the thing; You cant always get what you want, when you want it, or how you want it presented. A lot of bands DO want to be paid. They arent there to entertain YOU, they are there to get their music into the ipods of paying customers. And yes, Im well aware of the "music is for everybody, dude" and the "man, bands that want to make dough SUCK" mentality. Sorry. Might have worked (badly) in 1962, but now, its crap. This isnt some Panacea that exists solely to drip honey into your ears...

As for bars attitude about moshing...again, grow up. People get hurt doing that crap. Bars get sued. Just cause you want to slam into a buddy of yours as some kind of passive agressive show of solidarity doesnt mean the bar owner has to increase his liability insurance limits.

Oh, and there hasnt been a true PUNK band that did anything or made any noise since the early 80's...so yeah, your right about that, but I dont think thats actually the point you were making.

Yeesh...sometimes I despair..

• Members

Mastodon plays BARS?

No, they do not.
Your reality is questionable, and I think we'd be best to leave it at that (I don't want to further devolve into trying to figure out why you feel so entitled that any/all musical performances should be available to you (or to everyone) on your terms, regardless of what, I don't know, the bands themselves prefer or choose), especially when you're playing very loose with facts.

• Members
Mastodon plays
BARS
?

No, they do not.

Your reality is questionable, and I think we'd be best to leave it at that (I don't want to further devolve into trying to figure out why you feel so entitled that any/all musical performances should be available to you (or to everyone) on
your
terms, regardless of what, I don't know, the bands themselves prefer or choose), especially when you're playing very loose with facts.

SUUUUUURRRRRRRE!!! I saw Mastodon last week at the Blarney Stone here in Wantagh Long Island. They took time off their world tour to come play for 6 drunks and a roomfull of 12 year olds. AND THEY PLAYED FOR FREE!!!!! Lots of moshing took place after the owner moved the pool table out of the way.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Members

Oh yeah, and;

If you consider Winger metal/hard rock, in any way 'heavy', or a descendant of such, then I honestly no habla what you're speaking of.

They are pop music with a bit of distortion, played by a couple guys with pre-exisitng chops-centric resumes.

Splitting (big) hairs there? I don't think so. Yes, Kip played with Alice Cooper, but big poofy hair, spandex clothes and a bunch of flash and pyro don't make the music hard or heavy, IMO.

Neither does a blinding billion dollar smile.

Winger is as hard as it is hard to do. The distortion (derived from loud hard rockin amps) is what happens when you play guitar in that manner. They use more sophisticated harmonic schemes than the norm and the subjects seem middle class youth oriented but the vibe is unquestionably hard rockin.

• Members

1001, Im not familiar with Wingers music...all I know is that I changed the channel when their videos came on MTV in the 90's. What I heard didnt really ring any bells as being anything other than Warrant, Cinderella, Ratt, etc...not quite as depraved as Motley Crue, and not as fun as Poison.
BUT...if you like em, thats a pretty good endorsement as far as Im concerned so I'll check em out.

*said in a whisper* But I dont think Im gonna like it..

• Members

I like Winger - well the first album. Rockin guitars catchy tunes. Cheesy I suppose by aficionado standards but so is Van Halen.

Nobody here's required to share my views. Most don't anyway. You regs for sure would be allowed to call suck. Don't expect to sway my analysis though. Lol.

Whether you like the stuff or not they might be worth a cover or two. The drumming is rock enough for sure.

• Members

Get out of my way, I got here late!

Okay, what did I miss?

AH! WINGER! Their Pull album has some great riffing, killer Reb Beach solos, and Rod Mortgenstein is a great drummer. They are "heavy pop" to my ears.

"Rock" is such a subjective term. If I say "Paramore is rock," someone will say "no, it's not." But then you watch the drummer slam the hell out of his drums and the guitarists digging in, and I ask you, are they not rocking out?

There was a time when Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were called "heavy metal." By today's heavy metal standards, they're just "heavy blues," and sometimes just normal blues at that. All the rock labeling is subjective. *

* Said by a huge rock music fan.

• Members

Paramore kills! Ive seen them on tv a few times, and I like it lots.
As for Winger, look...I cant get the image of Ol Kip looking into the camera, mugging it up, tousling his hair a'la Bon Jovi circa 1985. No matter how good that is, he still gets points deducted for being a good looking guy with a full, magnificent head of hair. Bon Jovi is NO ONE to be emulating!

• Members

Get out of my way, I got here late!

Okay, what did I miss?

AH! WINGER! Their
Pull
album has some great riffing, killer Reb Beach solos, and Rod Mortgenstein is a great drummer. They are "heavy pop" to my ears.

"Rock" is such a subjective term. If I say "Paramore is rock," someone will say "no, it's not." But then you watch the drummer slam the hell out of his drums and the guitarists digging in, and I ask you, are they not rocking out?

There was a time when Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were called "heavy metal." By today's heavy metal standards, they're just "heavy blues," and sometimes just normal blues at that.
All the rock labeling is subjective
. *

* Said by a huge rock music fan.

I have never heard of Zep / Sabbath being referred to as blues in any form. Classic Rock, yes, but not blues. Yes, they do R&B progressions and so on, as is all rock in it's origins, much like the Beatles, and even back to Elvis and MoTown...but, I would not call Zep or Sabbath blues by any means. Who ever says that needs to be smacked upside their head.

• Members

I have never heard of Zep / Sabbath being referred to as blues in any form.

Really? Especially Zep... I've heard them referred to as *insert blues term* more times than I can count.

- World's most succesful blues band

- Heaviest blues band ever

- Just a blues band on 10

- Etc

Oh well. Just an example!

Archived