All hard rock is the same.

1001gear

• Members

lulz. Good musicology is always good info. Death is not a requirement. That last example sounds southernish. Guitar based, harmonically static, ton of attitude and drumming that's On T.

@Mraia

I suppose the troll headline elicits all kinds of specificity - allowed if it's relevant. My concern with the original proposition, besides the quality of tune, is the drumming. The pro choice (of drumming) with hot guitar parts seems to be simple and spacious. This makes musical and commercial sense - no mystery there. Post your take if you like.

OOOHhhhhhhh...NOw I see...well...ummm...Yes!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would think that there has to be a number of ways of looking at it.

What are we playing FOR? Is it to MAKE MUSIC, or to SHOW OFF? Arguably, a band like RUSH is showing off, as is Dream Theater and the like. Can we then say that ACDC is making pure music? I dont know. Was Zep showing off, or bringing their talents to bear simply to create great music? Did Bonzos triplets enhance the music or his ego?

Cream is a great example of the nether reaches of the argument. Fantastic SONGS...just plain good SONGS...though expertly played. Not terribly complex either. I think they could have unleashed stuff upon us mortals that would have been terribly terribly difficult. But they didnt. They just played their songs.

• Members

I would think that there has to be a number of ways of looking at it.

What are we playing FOR? Is it to MAKE MUSIC, or to SHOW OFF? Arguably, a band like RUSH is showing off, as is Dream Theater and the like. Can we then say that ACDC is making pure music? I dont know. Was Zep showing off, or bringing their talents to bear simply to create great music? Did Bonzos triplets enhance the music or his ego?

Cream is a great example of the nether reaches of the argument. Fantastic SONGS...just plain good SONGS...though expertly played. Not terribly complex either. I think they could have unleashed stuff upon us mortals that would have been terribly terribly difficult. But they didnt. They just played their songs.

To me the thing about Zep was their primal union over Page's guitar work and Plant's unearthliness. Live, maybe they had the role to sell but the material survived.

As to why we play, a kid (20s actually) talented amateur, likes fast punk and busy poser drumming was listening to me play some moldy RnB style and commented he'd never think of stuff like that. I parried, "ya gotta play what's on your mind". He agreed and that was that. But we do gotta play what's inside. So given I'm not the take the world by storm type, I look to method and knowhow. In this case, The primal 'rock - copation' of heavy guitar riffs. The good spots, what to do besides stay out the way.

• Members

i'd say cream is rock, imo. can't be categorized with zep and sabbath, etc.

1k, no offense, but you're a snob. musicians who listen to music are flawed, due to their knowledge about specific instruments. you should listen with different ears. a bad singer (or any specific instrument,) should be considered to be a weak link, but not the end of the band. for us to say a drummer played a certain way, and to discount him or the music, is a bit shallow. most music does not fit into the "progressive" formula (say, musician's music.) so i feel that you shouldn't be so judgemental. perfect example: the beatles. the whole is greater than the sum of parts.

• Members

Snobs is clueless. Adopt opinions they were taught.

Paice played that busy hottie style of the time IMO tramples the feel with every fill (the style not Paice per se). That was their "rockin' it"

Beatles were the essence of good pop. Tune, the whole tune and nuthin but the tune. You're talkin' inverted and crosswise bringing them up in that context.

Here's an interesting sidebar while I'm at it.

Jon Lord also RIP displaying musical vision, intellect, and skill.

Sj43riuXoBs

The whole thing's on YTube. Not a milestone in classical music but this is the guy who wrote Smoke on the Water.

• Members

i'd say cream is rock, imo. can't be categorized with zep and sabbath, etc.

1k, no offense, but you're a snob. musicians who listen to music are flawed, due to their knowledge about specific instruments. you should listen with different ears. a bad singer (or any specific instrument,) should be considered to be a weak link, but not the end of the band. for us to say a drummer played a certain way, and to discount him or the music, is a bit shallow. most music does not fit into the "progressive" formula (say, musician's music.) so i feel that you shouldn't be so judgemental. perfect example: the beatles. the whole is greater than the sum of parts.

Good call on The Beatles. You would be surprised at how many bandmates, usually guitarists and bassists, insist to me that Charlie Watts and Ringo werent "good". This always astounds me! One guitarist I know, who is actually a high school music TEACHER no less, would argue day and night that Watts was useless. Though tellingly, he also thought Vai was the living end of all guitar players...Whos to judge? Would the Beatles be improved by Bonham or Moon, or Portnoy? Did Jumping Jack Flash suffer for lack of percussive density? I dont think so, but I guarantee someone here will tell me they did.

Moving on. Cdawg, why wouldnt you place Cream in with Zep? I find the similarities pretty apparent. Expert players, a sense of gravitas, or importance, to their music and also to their images. Two bands that seemed to take themselves very seriously, but had the chops (regarding good songwriting) to pull it off.

I wouldnt put Cream in with Sabbath, though. I find it to be very dissimilar music. But then, I am not a Sabbath fan. Not too much, anyway.

• Members

1K1:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what you were asking, so maybe I'd better start over. Thread Title states all Hard Rock is the same. While I agree, to a point,with that statement, could you not say that about any genre of music? I mean, whether you play Klezmer, Folk, Country, Bluegrass, Rock, Blues, Jazz, they all come with specific parameters you have to play to identify with same.
Despite all the genres and sub genres of Jazz, its gets its pulse from the ride pattern which has been around since Louis blew his way outa Storyville. I think its a tad unfair to compare Jazz with rock in a general sense: both have their rules and regs, and both have those who let the experimenters know when they've gone beyond the boundaries.
Dizzy and Bird took the next logical step when they pioneered Bop: in Rock terms, its almost like Punk Jazz, stripping away all the artifice and getting down to one simple rule ( self admitted by them) ' we're doing something you can't'. That's not elitism, its just a fact.
Now in Rock terms, as ' edgy' and 'groundbreaking' some of the usual players claimed to be, they were still functioning within a 3- 5 chord range, particular tempos, particular song forms. You can only mine that for so long, or, as ( one of my fave Canadian Bands) Max Webster put it...' You can only drive down Main Street so many times'.
I've always been personally pulled towards Prog, although I certainly appreciate the other forms. The fact that its been trendy for the youngers to dump all over bands like The Beatles is appalling to me, as they basically showed how you could completely rewrite the Rock Rulebook to what you see fit.
I'll be back with more clips, see if they fit what you're lookin for....

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

Cdawg, why wouldnt you place Cream in with Zep?
I find the similarities pretty apparent. Expert players, a sense of gravitas, or importance, to their music and also to their images. Two bands that seemed to take themselves very seriously, but had the chops (regarding good songwriting) to pull it off.

I wouldnt put Cream in with Sabbath, though. I find it to be very dissimilar music. But then, I am not a Sabbath fan. Not too much, anyway.

different eras. the late 60's/early 70's is about where "heavy metal" comes in, that's all. cream was done by then.

• Members

no, it was in reference to good/and "guys who transcend those personal difficulties to make the music happen." i think the beatles are a perfect reference. you can't possibly say that the music wouldn't have been different with a "better" member or two.

Beatles r gud. The MATERIAL is good. They pulled it off.

You brought that up bcuz I prefer better material than DP? :confused:

• Members

Beatles r gud. The MATERIAL is good.
They pulled it off.

You brought that up bcuz I prefer better material than DP?
:confused:

they pulled it off in spite of not having a group of people who didn't "transcend those personal difficulties to make the music happen."

i said nothing about DP. this was my point.

basically, don't be a "snob" about groups that are better than their components. get it??

• Members

Back in the 60's-70's, bands like Deep Purple, Zep, Blue Oyster Cult, Steppenwolf, Hendrix, Cream, Sabbath, etc., were referred to as 'Hard Rock'. As time went on that term evolved into 'Heavy Metal', but really, they have little to do with what is commonly thought of as 'metal' today. The style has definitely changed.

And, I definitely do not agree that it's all the same. Not by a long shot!

• Members

they pulled it off in spite of not having a group of people who didn't "transcend those personal difficulties to make the music happen."

i said nothing about DP. this was my point.

basically, don't be a "snob" about groups that are better than their components. get it??

Nothing to get. You'r trying to make a point out of a basic concept of musicianship; one not at issue in this thread and certainly not relevant to your example.

Move on.

• Members

^The point isn't real.

By way of illustrating some hard rock rhythm theory and moving along, here's two takes of a Zep classic. The released version and some alternate experiment.

Original:

wEKkJHSO8A0

Alternate:

TDLfDzeDG2c

Notice the alternate right off has an antsy feel. Bonham is unsteady and feeling his way through; the kick drum is inconsistent and the part is still motivically loose. The arrangement is still experimental and nearly a completely different song!

The release version; pared down to meaningful development at the essence of the vibe. Not an absolute of course - it's still music but the discipline and craft is very much revealed in the contrast.

• Members

1001:

Max Webster: High Class In Borrowed Shoes.

This was a way talented band, underrated here. Clip from late 70s. Drummer's name is Gary McCracken. Doesn't show off, doesn't 'Play the {censored}' out of kit ( although he could). Fills, accents , syncopation are all integral to the arrangement of the song.

Then something completely different:

Haywire: Operator Central

SCREAMS late 80s/early 90s Drum sound: Snare that sound like a wood block, Bass drum that blows subs: Interesting rhythm in the chorus on the Ride Bell. Simplified Shuffle throughout. Fun song to play though. Mile a minute arpeggio solo, Chant Chorus....typical of the era. Nice way to go to the fade with a Harmonica....
Be back with more.
:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

Archived