All hard rock is the same.

1001gear

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have never heard of Zep / Sabbath being referred to as blues in any form. Classic Rock, yes, but not blues. Yes, they do R&B progressions and so on, as is all rock in it's origins, much like the Beatles, and even back to Elvis and MoTown...but, I would not call Zep or Sabbath blues by any means. Who ever says that needs to be smacked upside their head.

The first Zep album is as blues as you can get. Hell, Willie Dixon even won a lawsuit against them for stealing his material.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You-BLUES

You Shook Me-BLUES

Dazed and Confused-BLUES

I Can't Quit You-BLUES

How Many More Times-BLUES

That's 5 out of nine that are PURE BLUES and the other four have two that teeter on the roots so I am sure that you are mistaken.

• Members

REVIVE THE STICKIES!!

Sorta like hard rock it seems. Nice to see a consensus on the question of Winger's pussiness. 'Bout all I can see is it's palatable and doesn't inspire fear and loathing and other entertaining emotions.

Holdsworth might be off base but what about Bad Horsie? That's heavy as fork .

Any offerings? I thought about Rage, Bizkit, Korn. Heavy enough but on listening, there aint no tunes to that stuff.

:idk:

• Members

The first Zep album is as blues as you can get. Hell, Willie Dixon even won a lawsuit against them for stealing his material.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You-BLUES

You Shook Me-BLUES

Dazed and Confused-BLUES

I Can't Quit You-BLUES

How Many More Times-BLUES

That's 5 out of nine that are PURE BLUES and the other four have two that teeter on the roots so I am sure that you are mistaken.

I'm sure he's not, but it's got to be looked at with perspective on what music WAS at the time, not what we know it to be now, etc.

At the time, a lot of British bands dabbled in playing traditional PURE BLUES songs in an amplified guitar (pop/rock band) setting like had not really been done previously.

What those bands, including Zep, did was take PURE BLUES music and twist it into something different and new, which most would call blues rock, or similar.

But I don't think you could accurately call it PURE BLUES.

I'd be willing to bet that any serious PURE BLUES musicians wouldn't do so.

Yes, Willie Dixon sued Zep, and yes, their first few albums lifter very liberally from the established PURE BLUES canon, but if you are familiar with what BLUES was prior to that period in the mid-late 60's when the Yardbirds and The Cream, and Zep, etc. started up, you wouldn;t be calling what they played PURE BLUES, IMO.

Similar, but not the same thing is what I'd say.

And as for this declaritive "The first Zep album is as blues as you can get", I'd say you're not very familiar with the blues then, are you?

• Members

And as for this declaritive "The first Zep album is as blues as you can get", I'd say you're not very familiar with the blues then, are you?

I don't want to get into a long drawn out argument, but I have to say I'm very familiar with the blues.

The first and second Zep albums were both released in 1969.

Muddy Waters released Electric Mud in 1968. That's a year before the Zep releases.

Does this sound like the old conventional blues you are talking about? I don't think so. Does it sound like Led Zeppelin, no, but it is just as hard edged as early Zeppelin. Is it as polished and produced as Zeppelin? No, but don't tell me it's not blues. Blues is based on I IV V chord progressions. They both fill that bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IynJBgrG2pw

At that point in time along with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and Otis Rush all were experimenting with a heavy, more rock leaning blues.

This is Muddy Water playing with amplified, distorted guitar, a year before the Zep releases, it's not the Yardbirds or John Mayall and the Blues Breakers. So in this instance you are wrong, just like calling out the other guy on Mastodon playing bars.

Kmart why do you have to be so disruptive? :poke:

• Members

1-
Does this sound like the old conventional blues you are talking about? I don't think so.

2-
Blues is based on I IV V chord progressions.

B3-At that point in time along with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and Otis Rush all were experimenting with a
heavy, more rock leaning blues

Perhaps you don't realize that the three statements above are all true, and also all support my particular point of view more than what you appear to be saying at the same time.

1) Swap "old conventional blues" you're using here for the "pure blues" naming convention you used previously...doesn't matter what you call it, but you clearly believe, and I concur, that there is a noticeable difference between what would be considered traditional/pure blues and the more harder-edged/modern/whatever blues-based music that came in the mid-late 60's. Doesn't matter WHO was playing it at that point at all. It was, and still remains different, yes?

Yes.

2) Yes, blues is based on that general progression. So are a lot of other sub-genres. Including that heavier/harder/more modern blues being discussed.

3) Bolded words say it all as well as I could: those previously more traditional/pure blues players...started playing new and differently.

All I'm saying (and I must say what your words agreee with (or at least support very well), despite your protestations, is that Led Zeppelin and similar acts, while obviously very much based in the broad/overall blues idiom, is not exactly what the world in general, using commonly accepted terminology, would consider a blues band, and certainly not a "PURE BLUES" act. You can call it me splitting hairs, or continue arguing about it, but...that's the simple facts, really.

No need to reply: I'm really not looking for an argument on this. But maybe mull this one over...:

If someone asked the average man on the street, or hell, even the average well-educated music historian/educator, for an example of a well-known BLUES performer, how likely is it that the response would include Led Zeppelin, vs. if the same person was asked for an example of a well-known 'blues-based' performer?

• Members
My apologies. I forget that you'd never just try to rock the boat.
:facepalm:

So wait, is ^^^THAT^^ what this feels like? To make a post here for the sole sake of being antagonistic and to stir the pot?

This is the feeling some of you guys get from doing this?!?!?

Holy crap. :facepalm: That feels awful... why on Earth would you post stuff like the above (yes, my own post) just trying to get a rise out of someone? That was just an awful waste of time...

KMart, ignore my post. I just wanted to try that. Definitely something I don't need in my life.

Carry on! :rawk:

• Members
My apologies. I forget that you'd never just try to rock the boat.
:facepalm:

If that's supposed to be sarcasm...well, I guess perhaps that you and definitely some others who are card carrying members of Vagisil Nation have a different concept of conversation than I...

I guess my first clue to that should have been the massive amount of threads and posts here where someone says something like 'Good job!' and then 15 other posts follow saying the exact same thing...
If that's the level of discourse that gets someone's rocks off, cool for them.
That's just not for me.

• Members

Kmart always rocks the boat. At first it pissed me ff and now I look forward to it. I have found that while sometimes he comes off being a dick, he creates an element that makes you actually think and typically he poses a side of a topic that hasn't been covered. So Kmart while I think you can be a dick sometimes I like what you bring to the table. Just my .02

Archived