Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Members

I always wear hearing protection. I use to use foam earplugs with the band/gigs, and isolation headphones when on my own. I recently got a pair of Shure SE 215's (I think that's the number) and they are the best thing I've used so far both when I'm on my own, and when I'm playing with the band. Now I can have the click without having to wear headphones.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

always plugs.

@ gremmy, check out the "pro" ones that cut all frequencies equally. it's very reasonable sound and price-wise (i think i paid about $30.)

if not, you will do damage, guaranteed.

there's not a night i go to bed without a fan to drown out the ringing now.

• Members
Metronome - A dwarf who lives in the city' date='[/quote']

HA!

i used one when i was young and having real tempo problems.

but it seemed to clear itself up the more i approached drumming in a laid-back way.

it's like when you see a new drummer, all stiff and concentrating on the tech aspect of playing. then, the comfort sets in and (hopefully) you start to really feel things.

luckily, i've never had to play to a click live or in the studio. i don't think i would adapt to that well.

• Members

Today's question: What do you use for bass drum muffling?

On my rock kit, it's currently just a bass drum beater pad and a black bath towel inside, but I want a little more internally. For rock gigs, the drum is mic'd, so I can always bring up the EQ. For my other kit, it's only an Evans EQ3 pad on the batter head - sounds great!

• Members

On my 14 x 22 three ply I have an Evans Emad batter and an Evans Emad ported reso head, with a small folded up towel slightly touching each head.

On my 18 x 22 I have an Evans EQ3 clear batter head and a ported Aquarian Full Force II ported reso head with no muffling at all.

On my 14 x 16 I have a Remo Pinstripe batter and a stock coated reso with no porting and no muffiling.

• Members

Ported front, towels touching both heads and then semi interesting story. I use a Pinstripe kick head, not the driest kick sound - you even get a beach ball effect that needs dialing out but the sound is acceptable and Pinstripes wear slowly, one ply at a time. So the top ply goes and the head still sounds good but kinda precarious playing that way. Falams patch to the rescue. Oops, no patch. bummer.

What I did have was an extra thick 8" mylar dot that Remo now installs in their tunable pads. Makes them sound like a high tension drum and you can wail on em likewise. Me no use for that but now has use for dot. Some contact cement or Shoe Goo I forget which and presto, bullet proof kick drum head. Still going after several years too.

• Members
What I did have was an extra thick 8" mylar dot that Remo now installs in their tunable pads. Makes them sound like a high tension drum and you can wail on em likewise. Me no use for that but now has use for dot. Some contact cement or Shoe Goo I forget which and presto' date=' bullet proof kick drum head. Still going after several years too.[/quote']

Way to go, MacGuyver!

• Members

my 20", no port, no muffling, small impact pad.

22", 4" port, no muffling, impact pad (used to play with a towel inside.)

24", no port, no muffling.

typically i use coated emperors on the 22, coated emp on the 20, and a coated ps3 on the 24 (which i hate.)

reso side i prefer a white smooth ambassador, but i scored a cheap fiberskyn for the 20 that looks t!ts.

• Members

On the sparkly kick (20"), I'm using the stock dw "pillow", slightly touching the reso. Ported PS3 reso, SK2 batter.

On the "outdoor" kick (18"), I'm using an old bath towel touching both heads. Stock Yamaha "PS3" heads, ported reso.

• Members

Here's a timely topic for me. I'm playing a "matinee show" tomorrow, and I'm VERY stoked that it's early enough that my parents are going to come out and see it (they're early 60s).

Today's question: Were your parents supportive of you wanting to be a drummer? If so, how?

Matt Cameron said in a MD interview that "behind every great drummer is a great mother." I always loved that. My folks helped me build a drum room in their basement when I really got into drums and said as long as it's between 9am and 8pm, I could drum. We sound-proofed a lot of stuff, and my neighbors were cool. I always had to work to get my own gear, but they drove me to practice and supported the marching band - you have to be some sort of crazy parent to want your kid to be a drummer! As an adult, they love supporting the music, but it's not exactly a soccer game or a book -- saying, "hey, come check out my band - we go on at 11pm" is a hard sell. So as much as I'm excited for my show tomorrow, I'm more excited to play for my mom and dad for the first time in probably 5 years!

• Members

I am into just great music where the drumming is solid, but compliments the music. Check out Gregg Bisonette playing for Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) a few years ago, on a tour that ended due to the economy. Or check out Abe Laboriel Jr. playing any thing. Both are so tasteful.

D

• Members

My mom was supportive of me playing drums, when I first started and when I started getting into metal there were times when her patients wore thin with certain things I was trying to learn. The neighbors are another story. The kit I had at that time, when I was living with my mom was a Ludwig classic with 24" kicks and the neighbors said that they couldn't really hear the kicks, but things on selves would vibrate when I played. I thought it was cool, but they didn't, especially when they were watching their soaps.

• Members
Today's question: Were your parents supportive of you wanting to be a drummer? If so' date=' how?[/b']

I think my Dad would have prefered I became a Doctor or lawyer, but in the end, just before he passed away, he accepted and was proud of my success. My Mom was always supportive.

• Members
Today's question: It's a Tuesday afternoon' date=' 5pm, and you've just left work. The phone rings, and low and behold, it's a band you love, and they need you to fill in tonight! No practice, no notice, but they've got to fill an hour of music, and you need to know the songs and the hits. You're confident you can nail the gig, because you know the feel, the songs, the phrasing, the fills and pieces... so the question is, WHO IS THAT BAND?[/b']

Great question! A true dream come true.

I would say the original repertoire of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rush, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin.

Archived