Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Members
Today's question: Do you customize your bass drum resonant head?

I've gone through it all. Elaborate art work, band logos, etc., but for the past 5 years or so I've just used the classic crest with my initials in it, and nothing more.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Today's question: What's a brand of drums you've never played on that you'd like to try?

I've owned an old Slingerland Radio King snare, but never got to got the chance to play on an entire kit. That would be cool.

• Members
Good morning, fellow drummers!

Today's question: What's the most important/ valuable piece of drum gear you've ever lost? .

A very old 22" K ride cymbal that I got from Tony Williams. It was stolen during load out of a jazz gig in NYC back in the 70's.

• Members
Over time' date=' has your preference been towards larger or smaller drumkits?[/b']

I've run the gamut from 13 pc Ludwig stainless steel octa-plus, to my tiny little Tama Metro Jam 4 pc kit, but I'll always prefer larger 7-8 pc kits, for the tonal palette they offer.

• Members
Today's question: What's the most recent album you've bought where the drum performance really impressed you?

Now What?! by Deep Purple. No surprise really. He's been impressing my since I first heard Hush on the radio back in 1968.

• Members

Today's question: What's the last gig you turned down?

I love the concept of playing for pure enjoyment, but sometimes money is a factor for me. An old buddy offered me a gig in July on a town common, but for 7-9pm on a Monday night an hour's drive away for $65.... I passed.

• Members
Today's question: What's the last gig you turned down?

Last summer I was called on to do a cover band gig at the Jersey shore for an R&B-ish, "S.O.A.P." type band. They play a lot of Springsteen and similar sounding music. Pay offered was excellent but, no thanks. The thought of driving 4 hours one way to play music I despise, was not very appealing.

• Members

Man, I've been busy and out of the loop this last week! Sorry! I'll get back on that.

Today's question: Do you focus on having a strike zone?

Going back to the marching band days, where your sticks landed was very, very important, and I always try to stay true to that on the kit when I know where the sweet spot is. This post is brought to you by my snare head when I set my kit back up last night.:

photo_zpsf11693f2.jpg

• Members
Today's question: Do you focus on having a strike zone?

Not really, as I utilize all areas of the drum head for different effect. If I were playing very simple 2/4 "Simon Kirke type grooves", then perhaps that would come more into play.

• Members

I do tend to get a wear spot similar to Fitch, as I am playing mostly rock music now. But when playing Zydeco and Blues I tend to wander around the entire head more because I'm looking for slight differences in the sounds of the strokes in shuffles and patterns.

• Members

What's funny is that the snare I posted is used for my rock-ish cover bands early - dead nuts backbeats. The snare I use for Boom Stick has like three spots with varying wear -- it all comes down to the sound you want. That being said, I like seeing I have accuracy for those sounds!

Archived