Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
how has the forum's format change changes your attitude toward drumming?

It made me practice instead of screwing around online?.... Nah, that's not entirely true. Though I did spend last night in my practice space hanging up lights, art work, and cleaning in general. Half man-cave, half Temple of Boom!

• Members

Today's question: How often do you practice on a pad?

I wish I could say I did this more, but not too often. Normally, I have a 7" pad I put on my snare drum while my band mates are yapping away, noodling, doing what those pesky verticals do while I warm my hands up with rudiments. On gig days, however, I do normally spend a bit of time on the pad.

• Members
Today's question: How often do you practice on a pad?

not much anymore. when i gigged i'd do the same you do, warm up when others were setting up and noodling.

at gigs, i'd set up and pretty much tap away until we went on (up to an hour sometimes.)

for a while i'd use the pad in the car for my right hand. seems my right has always been tighter than left.

• Members
...for a while i'd use the pad in the car for my right hand. seems my right has always been tighter than left.

I think I solved or at least figured this anomaly.

Right hand leads. Right hand must be boss. Right hand develops stifnesss to anchor all the rhythmic juggling.

The left hand is subservient but also lazy. It depends on cues from the right hand and has no need to sweat anything.

• Members

I think I solved or at least figured this anomaly.

Right hand leads. Right hand must be boss. Right hand develops stifnesss to anchor all the rhythmic juggling.

The left hand is subservient but also lazy. It depends on cues from the right hand and has no need to sweat anything.

actually, i'm ambidextrous. but i write left handed. the things i can do with either hand i notice my left is more precise but the right is more powerful. so for quicker hi-hat work, for example, i switch to lefty. when doing intricate ghost notes on the snare, lefty again. when caveman bashing, the right hand takes over, with the left doing rimshots. i don't actually think about it as much as i just do it for the sake of comfort.

• Members

Today's Question: Who's in a band? Who just plays on their own?

I love playing on my own, but kicking it with a band is the best to me. Currently a few hours a week of solo time, and then a party rock cover band, a groovy rock/funk original act, and a soul/ pop/ funk cover band.

• Members

I get out and jam; Open Mics, whatnot. Fun's fun but no band level players. (and that's the PROS!) sm-mad

butt srsly, I need guitarists with more sonic palette than "loud amp", keyboardists who know more than C pedal point followed by Bb pedal point.

You know, it's like I'm from Krypton and we have classical AND jazz and a planet wide musician's industry there. :incredulous looks:

sm-popcorm

• Members

In honor of St. Patrick's Day...

What's your favorite drum/ percussion performance in a Celtic music setting?

I love traditional Celtic percussion, but I've got a huge love for The Corrs. Turns out Simon Phillips was the drummer on their classic tune "Toss the Feathers" -- check out the drum break and crazy fluid tom fills at 1:26.

• Members

To answer the last 2 questions Yes, I'm in a band Favorite Irish music would have to be The Pouges. I saw them back in 91-92 and it was a really fun show. At the time Joe Strummer was singing for them b/c their original singer wasn't doing too well because of his alcoholism and couldn't do the tour.

• Members

Today's question: What's the most recent album you've bought where the drum performance really impressed you?

I've always been a fan of 311, but the last 2-3 albums have been... below them. They released a new one on 3/11 and it's back to true form for the band, but Chad Sexton's hands are lightning quick and delicate, and the album features some very nice roundhouse tom fills that made me go "Whoa! Where you BEEN, buddy?!?"

Also, Ray Luzier on the KXM album - YES.

• Members

Master Plan, Weckl. whenever that was. 80s ... Since then my awareness has grown past the la la stage and most of the stuff I come across is crappy material with "expert" drumming at best or some variant proportion thereof or worse crappy material with crappy drumming. When it comes to major commercial releases, I don't really care. If it presents a good learning/practice opportunity, then I get used to it and appreciate it at that level. Thanks to MI and and liberal conservatories, lots and lots of that kind of stuff. :D

Archived