Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Members
Today's question: Do you worry about "using up your chops?" Drums to me are very physical' date=' Am I a weenie?[/quote'] Yes.......yes you are.;) In all seriousness, I don't worry too much about it running out of steam during a set, but I do worry about trying too fast before I'm warmed up. That's why our set starts with our slower songs (160-200bpm), and then go on to our faster stuff (200-250bpm). What helps is to practice at a level above what you generally play with your band. When I rehearse on my own I have a routine that I do where I take each limb up to 130 bpm (16ths) for at least 1 minute, and then play to a cd (the whole thing). This is after I've warmed up for 45-60 minutes. The whole process takes about 2 hours give or take. It really helps your playing/stability when your max (speed & stamina) is above what your band is doing.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yes.......yes you are.;) In all seriousness' date=' I don't worry too much about it running out of steam during a set, but I do worry about trying too fast before I'm warmed up. That's why our set starts with our slower songs (160-200bpm), and then go on to our faster stuff (200-250bpm). What helps is to practice at a level above what you generally play with your band. When I rehearse on my own I have a routine that I do where I take each limb up to 130 bpm (16ths) for at least 1 minute, and then play to a cd (the whole thing). This is after I've warmed up for 45-60 minutes. The whole process takes about 2 hours give or take. It really helps your playing/stability when your max (speed & stamina) is above what your band is doing.[/quote']

I always enjoy your take on endurance and speed. Back in the day, I was very into trying to get smokin' double bass chops and the like. My musical tastes have changed, so I don't play much metal anymore (more like bursts of double bass licks), but I really appreciate the dedication you put into what you do and love hearing about it! It always makes me want to set up the metronome and do some more speed work.

Which, to be fair, I've done a few times in the past two months! I think I can do 42bpm. :p

• Members
I always enjoy your take on endurance and speed. Back in the day' date=' I was very into trying to get smokin' double bass chops and the like. My musical tastes have changed, so I don't play much metal anymore (more like bursts of double bass licks), but I really appreciate the dedication you put into what you do and love hearing about it! It always makes me want to set up the metronome and do some more speed work. Which, to be fair, I've done a few times in the past two months! I think I can do 42bpm. :p[/quote'] You don't have to play at the speeds that I do, but if your band plays in the zone of 100-120, your max should be above that. That way you don't run out of gas during the set. Think of it this way,sprinters that rum the 100M dash don't train by 100's all day long. They usually do double the distance at that speed to increase their endurance. So in that race (gig in this case) you don't run out of steam and loose your chops.

• Members

Traditional ain't so cool. Too much latency. It's very convenient for jazz left hand and the one handed backward stick control thing. I'd do matched "left hand" for the latter but it's too much of a departure right now. I think the main reason matched left hand isn't popular is it cuts down on reach and makes moving around a glancing, careening affair.

• Members

my first instructor taught me traditional, and i didn't understand the mechanics working fluidly on a kit. i played this way for the first year or so.

on my own i was playing matched more and more, and my second instructor played matched.

admittedly, there are still some things i play traditional, especially intricate ghost note sh!t. but i never developed the power in my left until i played matched.

• Members

Today's question: What's your favorite drum-related movie scene?

I'm torn between three moments:

1.) The Rocker: When Vesuvius has thrown the drummer out and he's chasing them, he jumps onto the roof of the van and stabs his drum sticks through the roof for hand-holds.

2.) Airheads: "For all you know, that record could be Pip farting on a snare drum!"

"I ain't fartin' on no snare drum."

3.) Spinal Tap: The exploding drummer.

• Members
They used to be known as the Sado drummers which is their island but I think it means demon. The bass drum guy was pretty intense I recall.Then without notice it became Kodo drummers which I have no idea what it means.

heartbeat, or children of the drum, fyi.

those guys always played balls out, and seemed to be in the greatest shape. very intense.

• Members

I've been slacking! Busy week out here... le'see...

Today's Question: What's your favorite type of orchestral percussion?

Back in my high school days, I was "the tympani guy" but there's something so epic about chimes!

Archived