Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So, today's question...

Who do you think uses the most iconic drum set?

I think almost any musician will recognize Neil Peart's drum set out of a line-up.

I think more people and musicians will recognize Ringo's Black Oyster Pearl set over any other drummers kit

• Members

I think more people and musicians will recognize Ringo's Black Oyster Pearl set over any other drummers kit

I was thinking Ringo's kit has got to be one of the most recognized, as well, simply because of the millions of people that took it in on TV throught The Beatles' era. Keith Moon's kit is pretty iconic, as well.

• Members

I'd have to say Ringo's kit. I don't even remember what kind of kit Keith Moon used to play. Was not really a Rush fan, so I only know Neil Peart's kit from the dw website, but what was he playing back in their heyday (80's)?

• Members

Today's question: Do you customize your bass drum resonant head?

I've gone through DrumArt to get a great reso head before with a band's logo, but normally I just use a black Evans resonant head and slap a Silverfox sticker on it.

• Members

Funny as much as I'd like a high end kit, I'm not really concerned about which brand. One of my drummer friends has kits by DW, Tama, Yamaha and Mapex. He rotates them just to keep 'em in use lol and while they do have timbral differences, once a gigging drummer has his craft together, what he plays is more functional than what he's playing on.

For me, quality wood shells are the main thing. As to plastic drums, I used to own Vistalites and don't really care for them.

Oh, snare drums might be the exception. I'd like to test tunings and heads on a lot of 'em but no resources and prolly wouldn't actually bother. sm-embarrassed

• Members

I don’t think that there is a particular brand of drums that I would like to play. However there are a lot of drum sets that I would love to play. Although this could never happen I would love to play the drums that were played by some of my idols. To experience their set-up and hear their tunings would be a real trip. People can buy and play drums owned by famous drummers, and for me that’s not the experience that I would be looking for. I would like to sit in their office; so to speak; and see firsthand how each guy positioned and tuned his gear. I would like to know what it was like to play Chick Webb’s drums at the Savoy Ballroom, or experience the drums of Gene Krupa, Max Roach, Buddy Rich, Zigaboo Modelste, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchel, John Bonham; and of course who wouldn’t like to sit in that monster circle of Neal Peart’s drums and see what you could or couldn’t do with all of those drums.

• Members

Today's question: What was your first public performance on a drum set?

The first time I sat on a drum set to play in public was sitting in with some older dudes at my dad's sportsmen's club. I was in the 8th grade, and it was some fundraising dinner. Papa Fitch (VP of the club) told the guys in the band that I drummed and asked if I could maybe play the drummer's kit for a brief minute.

The drummer was happy to let me sit down, and the band said "hey, keep playing that beat!" and I basically, while in 8th grade, hacked my way through a version of "Wipeout." Very happy memory for a kid still learning his basics!

• Members
Today's question: What was your first public performance on a drum set?

i was in an oldies band for my first gig when i was about 14. we played a dance for a local h.s. and it was fun, but hard.

i got into the band a few months after it formed, so i had a huge setlist dumped in my lap.

it was pretty overwhelming and i appreciated the skills learned years later, but i quit after about a year due to a constantly changing setlist and constant homework.

in all, it wasn't very artistically rewarding, and has kept me from cover band gigs ever since.

• Members

My first time playing in front of people is still a fond memory. I was 15 at the time. It was our first gig for the band I was in. We were hired to play a Christmas party at a bar in Chicago for three hours. The person that hired us had a station wagon and was willing to transport all of our gear to the bar, but we had to get to the place on our own. I was too young to drive so I wound up taking 2 buses to get there. The gig went well and that band stayed together for seven years. Six years ago we all got together for a forty year reunion and hope to get together again in another four years for our fifty year reunion.

• Members

Today's question: Do you worry about "using up your chops?"

Drums to me are very physical, and as much as I wish I had an endless supply of chops, I don't. When building set lists, I like to start with more pocket stuff and keep the up-tempo moments for later, preferably the end of sets so that when you're feeling chopped out, you can have a break. Am I a weenie?

• Members

I'm not the tour de force kinda player. If I do let it out it's more in the way of rhythmic intricacy and usually not at all strenuous. My stick work is getting pretty efficient too but 3 esses can put up an unreasonable fight if you get out of synch. Further I am getting old and as fatigue sets in, muscle tone goes and with that tone, articulation, and the subtler details. Fortunately I'm not carrying four other guys so I can relax and push the limits at my own pace.

Archived