Why is it so hard to find a decent bass head?

Picker

• Members

Tubes.... I like tubes ... they give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

So there are countless tube guitar amps, but for bass they are nearly non-existant.

There's the Ampegs -- SVT-CL etc.

Mesa 400

Trace V-6 and V-8 (neither of which are made anymore and impossible to find.)

And that's about it. There's an assortment of SS amps out there, but why so few choices for the tube lovers that play bass?

I just want an all tube 300+ watts yummy, tasty, grungy, guttersnipe of an amp. that will bring out the best of my bass sound.

:mad:

Maybe I'll have to build one from scratch unless I find a good deal on one of the few options listed above.

• Members

There are many tube bass heads. If you limit yourself to new ones, you have few choices, but if you keep an eye out for used ones you will have many to pick form, and save a boatload of money.

300+ watts, off the top of my head:

Mesa 400 (w/6550 tubes), 400+ (though the actual wattages are open to debate, they can hang with the big amps)

Various Ampegs: vintage, CL, VR, 2, 2Pro

Trace V6, V8, HexaValve

Peavey Classic 400

Eden VT300b (but beware...)

Marshall VBA400

Fender Bassman 300/Sunn 300T

Fender 400PS

Phil Jones T 500 (maybe just a myth)

Traynor YBA 3A

If you can get by with 200, you've got probably hundreds to choose from; the Traynor mentioned previously, Aguilar DB359, old Sunns, a few Sound City heads, the Sadowsky, more Traces, Hiwatt, Marshall, Mesa D-180, Peavey Alphabass,Orange... the list goes on.

Some of these (even the big ones) you can find for under $500; some will be a bit more (like the Phil Jones that listed for $10,000)

• Members

Not bent on 300w. Just want to make sure I can keep up with the band and was following the 3X wattage of guitar theory and was just bemoaning the lack of options.

Currently I'm running a Sansamp RBI through a poweramp, which does quite well, but being a tone freak, I would like to upgrade to a tube amp at some point.

• Members

Try a Marbass head at your nearest GC. It has a VLE filter that dials in tube-like warmth and is getting RAVE reviews. Very versatile and musical head. Also try the EVO series from Ashdown, great rock heads. I have a GK 700rbII stack and when I run my Sansamp in front of it, it's quite awesome. GK = greatstuff.

Carvin's new BRX series is also top-notch and with factory direct, quite a bargain. All great heads. :thu:

• Members

Some time back I got worn out looking for a bass amp that had just the tone and punch that I want. I gave up and bought a Peavey guitar head and run it to a bass cabinet. I've never looked back and get lots of comments on how good it sounds.

JR

• Moderators
Originally posted by One_Dude

Some time back I got worn out looking for a bass amp that had just the tone and punch that I want. I gave up and bought a Peavey guitar head and run it to a bass cabinet. I've never looked back and get lots of comments on how good it sounds.

JR

Whatever works.

• Members

Depending how much you can spend.

Sunn Model T $ 1,000

Sunn 2000S $ 750-800

They're not quite the wattage you said you're looking for, but plenty loud (although I'm presently having some volume issues with my 2000S that I'm sure will be corrected, because they are supposed to be "don't play them indoors" loud).

The range in tone achievable thru the 2000S is simply amazing. It was often used as a guitar amp. They don't have a lot of features, just volume, treble,bass & bass boost, but for TUBE BASS Amps, they are as good as it gets.

Archived