So I played through the PA the other night.

burdizzos

• Members

I bring my rig for ME. If the audience likes it, great. If not, {censored} 'em. The best a house system can do is give you a clean DI sound. That's not necessarily what I'm looking for in a live setting. To me. it's same as playing a backline show...sure it'll work, but I prefer having my rig - I know exactly how it will sound with effects and i don't have to ask anyone to tweak it if something's not right.

I'm with you 100% on this - both your attitude and your approach.

I've tried recording with the DI from my sansamp and it seriously lacks compared to what I get from my cabs.

I don't have the money for a good speaker sim like a Palmer either, so I'll be mic'ing my cabs and going to FOH with that - best of both worlds for me.

I don't understand players who put the audience ahead of themselves - how can you give an inspired performance if your not grooving on your tone?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand players who put the audience ahead of themselves - how can you give an inspired performance if your not grooving on your tone?

I spend a good amount of time tweaking before a show to get the sound just right, but once I am actually onstage playing, my tone is probably the last thought in my head. I'm listening for pitch and time to stay tight, but the rest of my focus is on freaking out and putting on an awesome show, not whether or not I should boost the low mid another notch or roll back the highs . . .

• Members
I once had an awesome tone and was playing to an empty house. That was some uninspiring {censored}.

But was the place empty because you had awesome tone? I doubt it. :cop:

I don't understand the point....If we play through PAs instead of of stage rigs everyone will like us and come out? :confused:

• Moderators

I'm with you 100% on this - both your attitude and your approach.

I've tried recording with the DI from my sansamp and it seriously lacks compared to what I get from my cabs.

I don't have the money for a good speaker sim like a Palmer either, so I'll be mic'ing my cabs and going to FOH with that - best of both worlds for me.

You could try grooving on the music instead.

• Members

I once had an awesome tone and was playing to an empty house. That was some uninspiring {censored}.

I suppose - we all have different priorities.

Mine is to just have fun and try to be inspired by playing solid music - the crowd if any is just the icing on the cake.

• Members

You could try grooving on the music instead.

Well of course - who said the two were mutually exclusive?

I just don't subscribe to this "cookie cutter" mentality of going direct; which is to say, use your ears and if it works for you, go for it - but understand that some just will not be satisfied with the sonic results and will choose another option.

It's not that I obsess over tone - far from it. But I've got a tone that I like and when that's not happening it just doesn't work for me.

I tried going direct, and it doesn't work for me.

Apparently Bob N. has had a similar negative experience - but I guess he's "wrong" too?

And let me add that IMO Bob N. has a stellar tone, far better than most - so I truly respect his opinions on matters of tone - I ain't arguing with Eric Johnson on tone and i won't be arguing with Bob either.

My ears guide the decisions I make first and foremost - cuz yeah, I play music for me primarily. I have to - it's a feedback loop, dig?

I just can't do it any other way - the whole point of making live music for me is to be able to hear all the nuances of your own playing and react in real-time accordingly.

• Moderators

I just don't subscribe to this "cookie cutter" mentality of going direct; which is to say, use your ears and if it works for you, go for it - but understand that some just will not be satisfied with the sonic results and will choose another option.

It's not that I obsess over tone - far from it. But I've got a tone that I like and when that's not happening it just doesn't work for me.

Apparently Bob N. has had a similar negative experience - but I guess he's "wrong" too?

And let me add that IMO Bob N. has a stellar tone, far better than most - so I truly respect his opinions on matters of tone - I ain't arguing with Eric Johnson on tone and i won't be arguing with Bob either.

My ears guide the decisions I make first and foremost - cuz yeah, I play music for me primarily. I have to - it's a feedback loop, dig?

I just can't do it any other way - the whole point of making live music for me is to be able to hear all the nuances of your own playing and react in real-time accordingly.

Excellent post. Especially regarding the feedback loop. For better or worse, the more my own ears enjoy my own music, the better and more enthusiastic I play.

• Members

But was the place empty
because
you had awesome tone? I doubt it.
:cop:

I don't understand the point....If we play through PAs instead of of stage rigs everyone will like us and come out?
:confused:

No, I'm not downing stage rigs and saying that everyone should abandon them. My point is that running through the PA is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are several things about playing music that are inspiring. Having a good sound is important, but playing music that you enjoy with other players who inspire you while embracing the attention from a crowd who gives a damn is also very important.

Musicians who try to carry the room with their rigs while relying on the PA for nothing but vocals rarely sound as good as bands who let the PA do the work. This is particularly true for weekend warriors who lack the years of stage experience to know what to listen for.

• Moderators
You guys out there that have to have YOUR rig to get YOUR tone need to get a clue. Start thinking about what's best for your band. Being in a band means making compromises. It's not just about you. Think about what is best for the band as a whole.

What about the mature players in the house whose rig and tone are specifically adapted for the best for the band as a whole? :confused:

• Moderators
You guys out there that have to have YOUR rig to get YOUR tone need to get a clue. Start thinking about what's best for your band. Being in a band means making compromises. It's not just about you. Think about what is best for the band as a whole.

MY band happens to like MY tone. See. It's not all about me. ;)

• Members
But was the place empty
because
you had awesome tone? I doubt it.
:cop:

I don't understand the point....If we play through PAs instead of of stage rigs everyone will like us and come out?
:confused:

If you play through stage rigs, and are able to get a quality mix that is consistant throughout the venue you are playing, at levels your target audience expects, you do not need a quality PA. Most bands cannot do this. In R&R and modern country, I like to reinforce the kick, this requires a pretty decent PA. We use a soundman, minimize our stage volume and run everything through the PA. The sounguy adjust vocal levels as lead singers swap from lead to harmony parts, brings up solos, adjusts instrument levels to fit the song, and controls the over-all volume of the band. All things that
1. I don't believe can be done very well from stage.
2. I wouldn't want to do from stage, I just want to pay attention to the groove on stage and the audience. The few times I have to attend to FOH while playing, it detracts greatly from the pleasure I get from playing live.

• Moderators

I didn't say anyone was wrong. I merely responded to you saying that you had to have a certain tone to groove. I don't. I groove on the music.

Ever listen to old recordings? A lot of them sound like complete {censored}e. But the music is still good, and they were hits because of that. Nobody cared about the tone.

I used to play with a guitarist who had to futz with his amp for a minute or two between songs, every time, to get his tone just right for the next song. If he'd cared as much about the music as he did the tone, we wouldn't have lost the momentum with the audience as often as we did, and we'd all have been grooving a lot more.

None of that is to say that I don't appreciate the difference in tone among my instruments and amps. I do. Occasionally, I'll find a really sweet spot, where I think it sounds especially good, and I might groove on that for a while. Ultimately, though, it's not about the tone, it's about the music. Audiences don't care about tone, as such. They only care if the band engages them, either to listen or to dance. Tone might contribute to that, or it might distract from it, but it is rarely, if ever, the main thing driving it.

At this point, someone might ask who I play for, myself or the audience. Both, but mainly for the audience. I can play for myself at home. As a band, we can play for ourselves at rehearsal. When I'm on stage at a venue, it's about the audience. They're the ones who make it all possible. They pay us, directly or indirectly. They pay to keep the venue open. They determine whether or not we'll be asked back. If they're happy, most likely I'm happy. Everything else is secondary, at best.

• Members

Nice speech, but maybe you can tell me how my using my stuff isn't best for my band? I'm willing to make a compromise on anything if there's a reason for it...but I'm having a little trouble with the idea that I'm being selfish by lugging my own junk into a venue, setting it up, and sounding as good as I reasonably can.

Am I missing something? :confused:

• Moderators
And really what is a band except for a bunch of inexperienced, naive, self-righteous dudes searching, completely independantly of each other, for the perfect tone.
:D
:D:D

This ties into my previous post in another thread about a young punk scene being an integral part of any local music scene.

Archived