Gas Price Alert: Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act

Thunderbroom

• Members

Haha! I remember seeing a Hummer in old town Nice in 2000. It looked huge! Really blocked the street, bigger than even most of the commercial vehicles, but really no where near as useful. Also remember seeing itty-bitty Mercedes and such. Luxurious, but tiny. A local told me, the more desirable neighborhoods are often the historic old towns, with tiny streets and no room to park. So a tiny luxury car has a great niche.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I made a proactive decision related to this subject.

The wifey and I took our '03 Dodge Durango and traded it for an '07 PT Cruiser yesterday.
We had been looking a bit to downsize since we really didn't need that large a vehicle any more, but rising fuel prices made us step up our game. That and the fact that NOBODY is in the market for large SUV's now!

Normally I don't use a trade-in, but sell it myself. This time that didn't seem reasonable. The dealer gave me $2000 below book value, which isn't bad considering current market conditions.

This trade cuts her fuel price in half....

pic:

3A8FY68B77T588030.jpg

• Members
I'm just pissed that the most fuel efficient cars in the US only get about 45 mpg.

I'm pissed that those cars think they can drive in the left and center lanes on I-70 loaded full of kids on their way to go skiing.:D
When trucks are passing you on the right, it's time to get over.:D
C7

• Members
I'm pissed that those cars think they can drive in the left and center lanes on I-70 loaded full of kids on their way to go skiing.
:D
When trucks are passing you on the right, it's time to get over.
:D
C7

...while chatting or texting on their cellphones.

• Members

I think a lot of you are right ...

It seems to me gas prices really started going up when Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf states. I thought that at that time price incereases had to do with the refining capabilities in this country being damaged. I took my V8 '97 Ford Explorer in and traded it in on a Hyundai Elantra before the end of the summer that year. It has only been about 3 years, but back then there were not a lot of Hybrid options back then. Now you have got the choice of Toyota, Honda and Ford ... no other American manufactures make hybrids? I'll bet Ford is not on the bottom of the American manufacturers for long (unless they get MS to write software to run the cars too).

Anyway, everyone should realize that 2 billion people reside in China and India and their progress has definitely resulted in a larger demand for oil. I personally can't imagine that all that would happen so quickly though. I can understand marginal increases, but the increases lately have been ridiculous. I guess that can be attributed to bidding up the price because of the larger demand.

I definitely think that both sides of the aisle have a lot to do with the problems this country has. On one side you have the constituents of the right; the greedy coporations who will do anything to please the almighty stock holder. On the other side you have the left who will do every thing in their power to cripple our way of life (ask yourself how is it France can get 80% of their electricity from Nuclear power and run safely and efficiently and why we haven't built a nuclear plant forever ... hasn't the Navy done it safe enough for a long time???).

If you ask me no side is better than the other. They both want to try to control you and tell you what to do. Just think about all of the ways the government rules your world (IRS, FCC, local school boards, etc.). The fact is that government has a huge impact on the economy with their policies.

Somebody said that we don't have a lot of alternatives and that is very true. Not everyone can afford a new fuel efficient car. Not everyone can afford to move closer to work. With the mortgage lending crisis there are even larger complications. Yeah life is not fair, but shouldn't we do as much as we can to help out our fellow man? Gas prices at $10 a gallon are extreme. There will be a lot of problems if the prices get that high. Problems that will be hard for many of us to avoid. A lot of businesses may go under, unemployment will rise, crime will rise, people won't be able to afford food ... you name it.

I really hope there are some smart people out there who can help us get to reasonable, safe and evironmentally friendly alternatives. Perhaps some big greedy businesses will decide to retool for the sake of making more money in the long term instead of short term (not likely when the trend is for executives roll from job to job every couple of years these days ... how can you have a strategic plan for 2 years!!!)

• Members

Anyway, everyone should realize that 2 billion people reside in China and India and their progress has definitely resulted in a larger demand for oil. I personally can't imagine that all that would happen so quickly though.

Good point.

Blind partisan politics aside, the price of fuel will continue to climb until we get the message. We haven't yet. We are stuck on consume.

• Members

The darndest thing is, these new regulations actually hit poor people the hardest. They're the ones who can least afford to buy a newer, more fuel efficient cars, and move closer to work where the cost of housing is often much higher.

On a separate note, there is talk here in Minnesota of adopting California's emissions standards and tests for automobiles. :freak:

• Moderators

The price of fuel has much to do with the Saudis and OPEC finding out what price the market can actually bare. We we reach that point, China and India will as well. Until then, unless we produce our own oil (of which we have plenty) the price will continue to increase, regardless of any Act that may be voted on in Congress.

• Members

As long as you can fool the po' folk into thinking you're actually trying to help them improve their lot, you're a shoe-in.

I'm for two major concepts. Hope and Change. I'm a shoe-in.

• Moderators
I'm for two major concepts. Hope
and
Change. I'm a shoe-in.

How long have you been attending church and what is your preacher's name? Inquiring minds want to know. As a candidate you just seem to good to be true, lug.

• Members

How long have you been attending church and what is your preacher's name? Inquiring minds want to know. As a candidate you just seem to good to be true, lug.

I've attended a non-denominational church for 52 of my 49 years. My preacher's name is John.

• Moderators
I've attended a non-denominational church for 52 of my 49 years. My preacher's name is John.

A reporter just informed me that a hooker has given him proof that your preacher is definitely a John. So much for getting your booked published that included lots of his quotes.

Archived