Gas Price Alert: Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act

Thunderbroom

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Moving closer to your job IS a solution. Taking mass transit IS a solution. Tbroom mentioned some solutions, too.

What's yours? Bitching? And to keep buying the same quantity of gas to ensure that prices stay high and go higher?
:idk:

No, smartass, I sold my truck and drive a car. I still need the truck and that's a hardship, but I don't have a choice right now, since thanks to this wonderful economy, I'm also looking for a job. And I'm not "bitching", I'm stating my opinion on something. I could as easily claim that you're bitching about my comments.

Now, on to moving closer to my job. With the average person in the US staying at a job a little over 2 years, where exactly would that be? And thanks for assuming that there's ANY form of mass transit within miles of my home, or that it goes where I've worked in the past 10 years I've lived in this general area. And if I lived within 2-5 miles of any place I've worked in this area, I'd have to pay 40% more for a home. And still have to drive. When I lived in the Hudson Valley region of NY, the only mass transit was the train into NYC, and I only worked there 6 months out of 14 years living there. A house closer to NY or the NJ offies where I worked??? Now *thats* comedy....at least three times the cost of the home I owned, which was $175,000 when I sold in 1987.

It's so easy to spout "solutions". Just try using them first.

• Members

it's not a difficult concept, but people don't like to see the causal link between war and money throughout history. or, apparently, supply and demand. i think we're lucky oil doesn't cost more with india and china double-teaming the falling dollar.

+1

I guess the problem is that it is a difficult concept. The whole problem of how oil (a fungible,global commodity) gets it value is a vary complicated and difficult problem.

The demand for oil has raised its price. The raise in price has driven up the cost of products. That has lead to an inflationary situation. In the mean time the mortgage market has driven interest rates down (also inflationary).

The war has caused greater deficit spending (inflationary).

The increased industrialization of Asia has increased global demand for oil.

The U.S. has not built a new refinery since 1976.

France is around 95% dependent on Atomic energy, yet we have not built any new reactors in decades.

The government will never solve this problem - nor will any of the politicians who are promising reform and "responsible energy policy".

While we are "reducing our carbon footprint" the world is rapidly changing and we are losing our standing as the only superpower or super-economy. Our governments policies are having less and less affect on the world price of anything. We learned this lesson in the '70s but have been in denial ever since.

We must stop listening to politicians, ask "who is making money" from all of these reforms, and start innovating to stay ahead of the rest of the world. Innovation is driven by nothing but a profit motive and trying to stimulate inovation by any other means will not help.

• Members

really? where does money come from? if, for example, we borrow a bunch of money to pay for a war we can't afford, where does that money come from?

we print more money to pay for our debts, increasing the money supply and decreasing the value of a single dollar. this is why the american dollar has fallen while the euro, the british pound, and even the canadian dollar have remained relatively stable.

Actually, you are incorrect. The money comes from foreign credit, not running printing presses. The dollar has fallen against other currencies largely because of currency traders' fleeting lack of faith in the American economy as a side effect of the mortgage crisis. Also, the dollar has remained relatively stable against the pound because Britain was also embroiled in the mortgage debacle.

Good guess though. Next player?

• Members

IMHO congress is populated by a bunch of {censored}heads that don't pay for their own health insurance, retirement, fuel, food, rent, etc. (well maybe not all of them, but a majority). None of them give a {censored} about working people and don't give any thought to adding to the cost of living.

what were we talking about??

• Members

We were talking about Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats purposely raising the price of gasoline another $1.50 per gallon, and somehow blaming the current administration.

$20 per barrel oil is now $136 per barrel oil. The cost has gone up. And the price has gone up with it. And, yes, people bitched about the cost of gasoline when it went to $1 per gallon, and $1.50 per gallon, etc. And, yes, banks also had record profits...that must be obscene. Iron Man took in over $100,000,000 in the first four days. Gas prices must not be hurting the film industry.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much profit was made this quarter on Grand Theft Auto 4? (over $120 million in sales in under a week) Gas prices must not be hurting the video game industry.

Priorities. It's all about priorities. Gripe about gas while paying more for a gallon of milk, more for a gallon of beer, more for a gallon of "drinking water" (bought by the single serving container), more for a single serving from coffee shoppes, etc. :blah:

• Members

We were talking about Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats purposely raising the price of gasoline another $1.50 per gallon, and somehow blaming the current administration.

$20 per barrel oil is now $136 per barrel oil. The cost has gone up. And the price has gone up with it. And, yes, people bitched about the cost of gasoline when it went to $1 per gallon, and $1.50 per gallon, etc. And, yes, banks also had record profits...that must be obscene. Iron Man took in over $100,000,000 in the first four days. Gas prices must not be hurting the film industry.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much profit was made this quarter on Grand Theft Auto 4? (over $120 million in sales in under a week) Gas prices must not be hurting the video game industry.

Priorities. It's all about priorities. Gripe about gas while paying more for a gallon of milk, more for a gallon of beer, more for a gallon of "drinking water" (bought by the single serving container), more for a single serving from coffee shoppes, etc.
:blah:

Sense. This man makes it.

• Members

No Craig, it's the evil oil companies and their OBSCENE PROFITS.

C7

Obscene... that word does not quite catch how stupid of a profit they get

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/02/BU6AUQMT9.DTL

In 2007...

Exxon - 40.6 Billion Profit... a 3% increase from 2006

Chevron - 18.7 Billion Profit... up 9% from 2006

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89284546

and they get subsidies too, despite having such profits.

:idk:

• Members

A lot of people were getting excited about the Smart Car being offered here..until we found out the American version gets 38 MPG and the best European one can achieve almost 60.
:(

38. My wifes full sized carolla gets about that, and she doesn't look :freak: while driving it like anybody would in one of those cars.

• Moderators
Well if oil has devalued the dollar, I'd like to say thank you to whoever was responsible for making it cheaper to buy American-made music products
:thu:

You're welcome. When people were complaining about the dollar value a while back, I saw no reason to panic. It simply meant that our manufactured goods would be cheaper and more competitive in the international markets. Eventually the value of the dollar will go back up.

• Members

You're welcome. When people were complaining about the dollar value a while back, I saw no reason to panic. It simply meant that our manufactured goods would be cheaper and more competitive in the international markets. Eventually the value of the dollar will go back up.

So I'm running around screaming and waving my hands in the air for nothing?:confused:

C7

• Members

A lot of people were getting excited about the Smart Car being offered here..until we found out the American version gets 38 MPG and the best European one can achieve almost 60.
:(

Consumer Reports reviewed the early pre-release of the US Smart Car. They basically called it a POS, in not-so-blunt terms.

• Members

Consumer Reports reviewed the early pre-release of the US Smart Car. They basically called it a POS, in not-so-blunt terms.

Yeah, that's what a Lincoln gets over here. Guess it depends on the point of view. The Smart fills a niche over here, our streets being narrower, and parking space extremely hard to find. If I picture myself in one on the 405 "cruising" thhrough L.A. ... ah no.

And if I see a Hummer trying to get into one of our parking spaces, I settle down for the show and a good laugh. Not too many around though.

If the expenses weren't so high, I'd love to get me one of those old "Detective Rockford" Trans Ams.

• Members

..and you can get that milage out of a Yaris for the same money. These guys really dropped the ball.

• Members

..and you can get that milage out of a Yaris for the same money. These guys really dropped the ball.

I looked at the Yaris when I got my Fit, the Fit is much better to haul gear with. This time of year I am getting between 38 and 41 mpg.

• Members

I looked at the Yaris when I got my Fit, the Fit is much better to haul gear with. This time of year I am getting between 38 and 41 mpg.

We already have 4 trucks and an Expedition..Don't need a hauler. :D

• Members

Yeah, that's what a Lincoln gets over here. Guess it depends on the point of view. The Smart fills a niche over here, our streets being narrower, and parking space extremely hard to find. If I picture myself in one on the 405 "cruising" thhrough L.A. ... ah no.

And if I see a Hummer trying to get into one of our parking spaces, I settle down for the show and a good laugh. Not too many around though.

If the expenses weren't so high, I'd love to get me one of those old "Detective Rockford" Trans Ams.

I think we share the same point of view, actually. People here wanted something like the Smart Car, provided it was reasonable safe, reasonable comfortable, and got excellent gas mileage. Unfortunately, when Chrysler imported a redesigned version of it, it downright sucked. We want the Smart Car, but we want one that actually gets better gas mileage than the small subcompacts we already have.

Not all Americans like big vehicles, especially when they aren't needed. If someone wants to drive around an H2 Hummer as a single occupancy commuter vehicle, more power to them - it's just a lot of people (myself included) are of a different opinion. I drive a reasonably small car now, and when it finally dies, I'll get another tiny wagon or hatchback.

I think the Smart Car (or a ripoff of one) could be absolutely huge in the US if it was done right. I'm thinking it could be a motorcycle alternative - something that was inexpensive to purchase new (less than $10k with options), got at least 50 miles per gallon, and was safer than riding on a crotch rocket.

Archived