Gas Price Alert: Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act

Thunderbroom

• Members
Maybe you should seek out a higher paying job!

:thu:

The consumer can certainly buy a more fuel efficient car.

:idea:

If it gets to be too much worse, I'm gonna have to go looking here.

I love my Expedition and all, and even at 18mpg highway it's not as bad as a truck, but seriously. I drive a LOT, and it's beginning to suck.

I think a nice Lexus Hybrid will do... ;)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Maybe you should seek out a higher paying job!
:thu:

Why didn't I think of that? :confused:

It sounds like you just solved the entire gas crisis in one sentence. We'll all just get higher paying jobs and then everything will fine and dandy. You really should contact the president immediately with this finding of yours.:idea:

• Members
Why didn't I think of that?
:confused:

It sounds like you just solved the entire gas crisis in one sentence. We'll all just get higher paying jobs and then everything will fine and dandy. You really should contact the president immediately with this finding of yours.
:idea:

I never suggested that this is remotely a solution, but you know what, I'm not bitching about gas prices. You are.
;)

I'm a proactive person. I change my situation instead of bitching. It doesn't solve the world's problems, but it solves mine.
:)

• Members
Oil companies are reporting RECORD PROFITS.
:mad:

I find that incredibly obscene at a time like this.

The various government taxing agencies combined make more money on a gallon of gas than the company that went to the effort of procuring, refining, shipping, and despersing it to consumers. THAT is what is obscene.

• Members
I never suggested that this is remotely a solution, but you know what, I'm not bitching about gas prices. You are.

;)

I'm a proactive person. I change my situation instead of bitching. It doesn't solve the world's problems, but it solves mine.

:)

Believe me, I'm not the only one bitching about gas prices. It's getting out of hand, and that's a fact.

It sounds like maybe you are assuming that I don't do anything to change my situation. Not so. ;)

• Members
Believe me, I'm not the only one bitching about gas prices. It's getting out of hand, and that's a fact.

It sounds like maybe you are assuming that I don't do anything to change my situation. Not so.
;)

You're just bitching at the wrong folks, is all. :)

• Members

It sounds like maybe you are assuming that I don't do anything to change my situation. Not so.
;)

I'd like to see gas go to $6, $8 or even $10 a gallon personally. Burdizzos has it right in his post in this thread. As long as gas is affordable there's no reason for the consumer to change her or his behavior. There's also no compelling reason to come up with alternative energy sources. Higher prices will drive both of these to change.

• Members
I'd like to see gas go to $6, $8 or even $10 a gallon personally. Burdizzos has it right in his post in this thread. As long as gas is affordable there's no reason for the consumer to change her or his behavior. There's also no compelling reason to come up with alternative energy sources. Higher prices will drive both of these to change.

Who says gas is affordable now?

By the way, that's the dumbest idea ever. :thu:

• Moderators

The price of gas is going to start having an effect on band practices and members who are a bit spread out over a geographic region. The price doesn't effect me much, but several other band members are blowing $30-$40 just for practice. It is a big deal, but inevitably the situation will change for the good or bad.

• CMS Author

So whatcha gonna do when you've topped out your salary in your field, while your cost of living continues to increase exponentially because your wish for $10/gallon gas becomes a reality? I guess you're perfectly happy paying $500 a week for groceries, and $2000 a month for fuel, $700 month to light and heat your home. Yeah, it'll all be worth it because the oil companies will then find another engergy source to rape us with. Yeah, that's the answer.

Let's also consider just how many more jobs will be lost to overseas competition, simply because it becomes even less profitable to make anything here. Yeah, 10 buck gas is the answer to our economic situation......

• Members
You're right. It is the dumbest idea ever. You win.

Come on, you can't be serious, right?

No, really. Come on.

I mean it, stop foolin.

You can't be foolish enough to really believe that what we need right now is higher gas prices. Just because you might be able to afford $10 a gallon doesn't mean everyone else who live in this country can. Once they get that high, who says they will ever come back down. It's gonna take years for us to wean ourselves off oil. In the meantime you think we should pay $10 a gallon because that's the only way to get everyone off their asses. BAD IDEA. I'd hate to see familys have to choose between putting food in their children's mouths and buying gas to get to work. How about elderly people who might have to choose between thier medicine and gas? Many people in this country live below the poverty level and making gas out of reach for working class Americans is not only cruel and totally unnessesary, but quite possibly the most moronic notion I've heard in while. Wow, I really can't even believe that someone who seems to be as intelegent as you seem to be would entertain such a brainless theory for even a nanosecond. On the other hand, at the rate we going we'll be at $10 gallon before ya know it. We'll see how much good that does everyone. My prediction is it will be an economic disater of epic levels, but what do I know. I'm just the guy who thinks gas is too expensive. :wave:

• Members
Oil companies are reporting RECORD PROFITS.
:mad:

I find that incredibly obscene at a time like this.

Not defending the oil companies, but they do more than sell gas. A lot of their profit comes from other areas besides what you buy at the corner 7/11.

• Moderators
You can't be foolish enough to really believe that what we need right now is higher gas prices. Just because you might be able to afford $10 a gallon doesn't mean everyone else who live in this country can. Once they get that high, who says they will ever come back down. It's gonna take years for us to wean ourselves off oil.

Crisis generally forces change more quickly. Provided we're the first to develop/manufacture and export the new technologies may even provide greater wealth to the US than what we know now. Look at where the economy was before the changeover to tech (late 70's/early 80's). It could very well be the same thing occurring within the fossil fuel industry.

• Members

Crisis generally forces change more quickly. Provided we're the first to develop/manufacture and export the new technologies may even provide greater wealth to the US than what we know now. Look at where the economy was before the changeover to tech (late 70's/early 80's). It could very well be the same thing occurring within the fossil fuel industry.

Forcing a crisis is an idea I'll never support.

• Members

When gas is $5 a gallon, I'll buy it.

When gas is $10 a gallon, I'll buy it.

It is a necessary evil... because of it's expense, I conserve fuel by driving a tiny Toyota pickup.

What is NOT a necessary evil is commuters. There is no reason to work 40 or 60 miles from home. It's rediculously wasteful. If you must live that far away, then you need the harsh reality of a subway or city bus commute.

I work three miles from my house. If I need to drive more than ten miles to work, I'll move.

• Members

It is a necessary evil... because of it's expense, I conserve fuel by driving a tiny Toyota pickup.

What is
NOT
a necessary evil is commuters. There is no reason to work 40 or 60 miles from home. It's rediculously wasteful. If you must live that far away, then you need the harsh reality of a subway or city bus commute.

I work three miles from my house. If I need to drive more than ten miles to work, I'll move.

Yup, a goody percentage of the holier-than-thou types with high efficiency cars started on them because the commuted 60 miles to work. Saving the planet was something they realized they were doing later. :D

• Members

What is
NOT
a necessary evil is commuters. There is no reason to work 40 or 60 miles from home. It's rediculously wasteful. If you must live that far away, then you need the harsh reality of a subway or city bus commute.

That's funny.

• Members

Forcing a crisis is an idea I'll never support.

Somehow I dont think we are going to have to "force" any crisis. At this point in our economic downturn, crisis will soon be unavoidable.

If things keep going at this rate, I honestly wont be that surprised to see the United States regress to the status of a third world country within the next 20 years.

Archived