Back to Back Ampless IEM Gigs

burdizzos

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no {censored}ing way that I would give bar patrons a tablet laptop and allow them to write across the screen. The least of my concerns would be what messages appear on-screen.

I was thinking a person with the band who enters the notes. It would be a very cool way to get the patrons involved in the show, but I understand it's not autonomous like the rest of your set up.

• Members

I was thinking a person with the band who enters the notes. It would be a very cool way to get the patrons involved in the show, but I understand it's not autonomous like the rest of your set up.

Oh hell no. You don't actually expect me to speak with the bar patrons, do you?

Buy seriously, I work on the front end and back end of a gig. Once we're playing, I'm in performer mode and don't like to think about anything but playing the show and making sure people are having a good time.

• Members

Since Geddy has been brought up, I have to say that the last two times I've seen Rush, incredible shows BTW, the sound was horrible.
:(

+1

The shed-style venue that bnyswonger and I caught them at didn't help much, either. You couldn't hear much, if any bass-there was just this big, overdriven low-end wash.

There's no reason that an ampless setup with a good PA wouldn't work for a hard-rock gig in a bar. It all comes down to who's behind the board.

• Members

IEM's are really the best way to go if you can get the band to go for it. It eliminates the problem of sounding like the sound is coming out of a can when you have stage volume issues IE the guitard and bassist want to try to get their amps cranking louder than the mains then the singer wants more volume in the stage monitor in order to hear over the guitard and basstard which can cause a real cluster{censored}. Ya I agree 100% with burdizzos on this one:thu:

• Members

IEM's are really the best way to go if you can get the band to go for it. It eliminates the problem of sounding like the sound is coming out of a can when you have stage volume issues IE the guitard and bassist want to try to get their amps cranking louder than the mains then the singer wants more volume in the stage monitor in order to hear over the guitard and basstard which can cause a real cluster{censored}. Ya I agree 100% with burdizzos on this one:thu:

Pfft, way to bring the thread back on topic, the derailment was so much more interesting. :rolleyes:

;)

The Catch-22 here is that if you have guitards with volume issues, they are the last ones who will buy into an IEM setup. The guitarists who voluntarily go IEM are typically the guys who will gladly show up to the gig with a sub-30 watt tube combo and let the PA do the work.

• Members

The Catch-22 here is that if you have guitards with volume issues, they are the last ones who will buy into an IEM setup. The guitarists who voluntarily go IEM are typically the guys who will gladly show up to the gig with a sub-30 watt tube combo and let the PA do the work.

This was EXACTLY my experience. The loud guitarist is gone and did argue against the IEMs when they were brought up. The new one plays through a 15w Fender Blue Junior but is on his way to going direct. The other guitarist never had volume issues but is now sans amp.

• Members

This was EXACTLY my experience. The loud guitarist is gone and did argue against the IEMs when they were brought up. The new one plays through a 15w Fender Blue Junior but is on his way to going direct. The other guitarist never had volume issues but is now sans amp.

My problem is I am the sound engineer and all of the band members think they know more about sound reinforcement than I do yet they think the gain on the channel strip is volume control:rolleyes::facepalm::o

however I am ever so slowly getting them to understand the concept of stage volume verses what the audience hears.

if it was my call the guitarists and bassist would plug into a Behringer V-Amp Pro and the drums would be triggered and everything would go directly from the stage breakout box to the to the console

and I wont even get started on how it eliminates the hassle of setting up mics,and monitors and having to deal with feedback and all of the other issues that go along with using mics and floor wedges.

• Members

Pfft, way to bring the thread back on topic, the derailment was so much more interesting.
:rolleyes:

;)

OH {censored}:eek:

I just now realized this thread was already 7 pages long

sorry about getting the thread back on topic...My bad:o

:D

• Members

My problem is I am the sound engineer and all of the band members think they know more about sound reinforcement than I do yet they think the gain on the channel strip is volume control:rolleyes:
:facepalm::o

Ah, the ever popular "sweet spot" of the channel strip, using the trim pot for volume adjustments. I wish they would just make 'em without the faders,(save real-estate and cash, alps cost money) and tune them for the sweet spot at the factory.

• Members

Ah, the ever popular "sweet spot" of the channel strip, using the trim pot for volume adjustments. I wish they would just make 'em without the faders,(save real-estate and cash, alps cost money) and tune them for the sweet spot at the factory.

Ya Boi:facepalm:

:D

• Members

and I wont even get started on how it eliminates the hassle of setting up mics,and monitors and having to deal with feedback and all of the other issues that go along with using mics and floor wedges.

Our regular engineer says that sound engineers tend to love bands with their own IEM system because the band is responsible for their own mix and won't spend half the night yelling for more me in the monitor. No pesky feedback either.

• Members

Our regular engineer says that sound engineers tend to love bands with their own IEM system because the band is responsible for their own mix and won't spend half the night yelling for more me in the monitor. No pesky feedback either.

LMAO Yes sir I understand that statement all too well:D

• Members

if it was my call the guitarists and bassist would plug into a Behringer V-Amp Pro

This is a horrible idea.

I have a V-Amp Pro. I use it for scratch ideas when recording, but that is it. It just doesn't sound good enough for anything else. The effects are {censored}ty. The models are bad. There is almost no response to playing dynamics (this is what sets good modelers apart from the bad, generally), and there is a very noticeable drop whenever switching channels.

I think it is an excellent idea for any band that is playing the whole night to switch to an IEM setup, but if it came down to IEM with a V-Amp or floor monitors with real amps, I would choose the real amps every time. The same preference doesn't hold true for the POD.

Archived