Back to Back Ampless IEM Gigs

burdizzos

• Members

What it you took the heavy cardboard tubing used for forming post cement, stuck those in the holes designed for the "speakers" and placed a reflective tin foil in that tube along with the light. Would that assist with the perceived brightness?

Not really. Reflecting the light around doesn't make it brighter, it just spreads the beam around a bit. They are blinding when you look right at them, as you know, so if they just shot straight onto a diffuser panel, it would be clearly visible. The trick would be getting the CSJRs far enough away from the panels so that they'd have a 12" spot for maximum effect.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did you program that or was that just set up temporarily for being sound activated?

My controller, like most, has a sound active mode. We play club banging dance hits between sets and it just occurred to me to put the controller in sound active mode between sets last Friday after having this setup for almost two years. :facepalm:

So, yes, that is sound active mode driven by the controller. When the units themselves are sound active, they look like this:

[YOUTUBE]RalZOav6Xjo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, that video makes it look like that show was completely dead! I don't know why, but the Humpty Dance completely cleared the floor there.

First off, if we're making beer fridges on the stage, let's just turn my kick drum into a pony keg cooler. Or at the very least let's stick a Jager machine in there and put a tap right on the side. The bass drum would look cool as {censored} with three Jager bottles sticking off the top of it. ;)

Dummy cabinets would take up a lot of space that we don't have, but what if you just made them flat, with folding legs. Take six 30"x30" pieces of 1/4" plywood, spray 'em black, put a grille cloth over the front, maybe buy some cheap plastic Marshall logos (or I'll cut them out of vinyl at work, that's what we did with the Rats), and put some cabinet-style corners on them. Place them side by side as our "backline". Wouldn't use up any space at all in the trailer.

Alternately, the thought of putting eye bolts on the outsides of the trailer and hanging 10-pound dummy cabinets off them amused me a bit, too.

I really think if we can get the vertical truss going in the back, that we wouldn't even need any cabinets up there -- they'd provide enough eye candy. Or even if we made a platform the same height as the drum riser, with the same color skirt on it, so that it looked like a multi-tiered stage (even if only a foot deep or something, just enough for a ledge to set lights on).

• Members

Illuminated fake cabinets would look cooler than vertical truss, but we really don't have the space. Although, I'm sure we can come up with a way to make it work. Then again, the look would be shot in the ass when Tommy shows up or Jason decides to start using an amp again.

I'll build the vertical truss mounts during our down weekend. I'm still waiting on the mini-truss clamps to ship anyway.

• Members

You know, since this thread has gone in so many directions so far, I asked this on the Drum forum but I'll ask it here. Since I'm not using a real kick drum anymore, I've got a lot of extra room at the front of the riser. I've been setting the kick head up there just for looks (and since it has the band name on it, because our banners don't), but it seems like a waste of space. Anyone got any good creative uses for that space?

So far my best thought is something like a 24" LCD monitor hooked up to my laptop, that we could either digitally do different band logos (based on the song -- 80's stuff we could get a logo with crazy colors and stuff, 70's retro-looking logo, etc), or just random visualizations, etc. I also thought about having a slideshow going in the background with pictures of the crowd at various gigs... you know, one of those things that might get people's attention because they're in the picture... putting up little "Make sure you tip your waitress!" messages for support there... dates of future gigs... etc.

I'm just not sure how big of a screen I'd need in order to be really visible from the crowd, and I wouldn't want the lights to completely wash it out, either.

I thought about putting a scrolling LED sign there, too, but another local band uses one of those for their banner, and I don't want it to look like I'm ripping 'em off.

• Members

Illuminated fake cabinets would look cooler than vertical truss, but we really don't have the space. Although, I'm sure we can come up with a way to make it work. Then again, the look would be shot in the ass when Tommy shows up or Jason decides to start using an amp again.

I'll build the vertical truss mounts during our down weekend. I'm still waiting on the mini-truss clamps to ship anyway.

Remember, I still have two pieces of 5' tall triangle truss. If you want, I'll bring it to the next gig (Gators) and you can look at it... if we could fit some lights inside it, that'd make it a lot easier to transport. And 5' should fit vertically in the trailer right? Maybe?

• Members

Remember, I still have two pieces of 5' tall triangle truss. If you want, I'll bring it to the next gig (Gators) and you can look at it... if we could fit some lights inside it, that'd make it a lot easier to transport. And 5' should fit vertically in the trailer right? Maybe?

You saw the trailer last time we loaded it, right? Every square foot of the floor is occupied. Perhaps if you took that sissy drum throne out of there...

I'm down for whatever.

• Members

Think 24" would be big enough?

I might not be able to fully finance it 'till the end of next month but we've got plenty of {censored} to do between now and then anyway.

I'm sitting in front of a 19" monitor right now. I think that if you keep stuff clean and in large, easy-to-read fonts, it will be just fine.

• Members

Think 24" would be big enough?

I might not be able to fully finance it 'till the end of next month but we've got plenty of {censored} to do between now and then anyway.

I've got a 42" Plasma that I'm not using right now.

I think a 24" would be plenty. It would definitely take the ridiculousness of our stage production to the next level. Plus, it would be a cool way of advertising future gigs, the band web page and whatnot. It would be a class move if we could get in touch with the bars the week prior to create a couple of slides on the bar's behalf if we are going to run a slide show.

• Members

I've got a 42" Plasma that I'm not using right now.

WTF, man. That's sacrilegious. Use it for a computer monitor or something.

I also like LCD idea as long as the content was cool. I think it's a lot of expense for random visualizations.

My suggestion is set up an interface so people in the crowd can write messages that scroll across it.

• Members

WTF, man. That's sacrilegious. Use it for a computer monitor or something.

I also like LCD idea as long as the content was cool. I think it's a lot of expense for random visualizations.

My suggestion is set up and interface so people in the crowd can write messages that scroll across it.

I'm actually selling it to a friend. She just hasn't gotten her living room ready for it yet.

There is no {censored}ing way that I would give bar patrons a tablet laptop and allow them to write across the screen. The least of my concerns would be what messages appear on-screen.

It is a pricey addition, but Z-x works in a computer shop, so he can probably get some silly deal and he probably has a few 24" LCDs laying around doing nothing anyway.

Archived