Back to Back Ampless IEM Gigs

burdizzos

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
There are those who will disagree all day saying that a setup like this lacks soul and without sound coming drirectly off stage, it just sounds like a jukebox and blah, blah, blah. Two nights of full dance floors and very happy bar owners only back up what I already knew.

Actually lots of people dance to jukeboxes and in the long run they are cheaper to maintain.

• Members

Sometimes it's difficult to find a good spot to place it, but it would definitely give you IEM guys and gals a good frame of reference.
:cool:

It's a good reference for people who don't use IEMs too, since the stage mix never sounds like the FOH. Like I said, I pop out the ear phones and wander out into the house while playing to check the FOH mix during the first song or two.

It's almost always hard to find a good spot to place one because if the bar is having a good night, the drunks next to the recorder will be just as loud as the band. :D

• Members

We're going to hit close to 100 gigs this year. I just joined this outfit a couple of months ago, so I don't know what their production was last year.

I'm not being defensive because I think it is as good as it gets. I'm simply disagreeing with your point of view. You claim that it absolutely will not work for hard rock and metal shows. I could make it work and the overall mix would be better as a result. The bottom line is that in order for a band to be successful in using IEMs, everyone must be onboard with it. If you have one holdout who swears that it will never work, then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Actually, that's not what I said - I believe that I stated than IME, it doesn't work as well as a standard backline for rock/metal club gigs - atleast that's how I intended to come across... Maybe you're not being defensive about it, but it sure looks that way, though...

Again, I'm glad you're happy with an ampless IEM set-up - but to take the stance that it's a perfect set-up for any type of gig will not garner universal agreement...

- georgestrings

• Members

It's gotta be the zoot suit.
:D

Get with the program. I haven't worn that in over 6 months.

It's several things. Good selection of songs, good sound, good crowd interaction, ridiculous light show, DJ music between sets and professional conduct. We attempt to do what all bands should be doing. Fortunately for us, most bands don't do those things and it's working out better for us. We aren't in the top tier of working bands in this area, but we are getting there.

• Members

Good sound is good sound, right?

True, but I'd have to say that Rush is up on a big stage, so there's a fair amount of distance between them and their audience - whereas, in the club dates I play, I've literally got people on the other side of my wedge - and frequently up on stage with us during the course of the night(chicks, anyways)...

Don't you think it's a bit false to equate a Rush concert with a typical rock club gig???

- georgestrings

• Members

Actually, that's not what I said - I believe that I stated than IME, it doesn't work as well as a standard backline for rock/metal club gigs - atleast that's how I intended to come across... Maybe you're not being defensive about it, but it sure looks that way, though...

Again, I'm glad you're happy with an ampless IEM set-up - but to take the stance that it's a perfect set-up for any type of gig will not garner universal agreement...

- georgestrings

As we've discussed before, part of the equation is that it just doesn't look right.

If the climate in this area changed overnight such that metal bands were the ones making the most money. Z-x and I would be in a Metal band next week running the same setup. I'd probably add a couple of 4x12 guitar cabs modified to contain a pair of Deltalites with the other holes filled and ported so that I could run an aux send into them with guitar, bass and kick as a means to provide the front fill that might be lacking for people right up front. Then the stage would look the part and the sound would be infinitely more controllable.

• Moderators
I'd probably add a couple of 4x12 guitar cabs modified to contain a pair of Deltalites with the other holes filled and ported so that I could run an aux send into them with guitar, bass and kick as a means to provide the front fill that might be lacking for people right up front. Then the stage would look the part and the sound would be infinitely more controllable.

Yep. That's the a great fix, too.

• Members

Yep. That's the a great fix, too.

And I've considered doing that with our group just to get the look right. At the gig last Saturday, the stage was empty and there were some old timers in there that couldn't understand where the sound was coming from.

If I had an extra few cubic feet in the trailer, I'd make a couple 4x12 "cabs" out of 1/4" plywood just so the stage looks right. Hell, I might just make some with hinges so they will fold flat. That would be hilarious.

• Members

There are likely numerous reasons that bands choose to go with an IEM setup.

We almost never use our own PA and are at the mercy of the engineers at the clubs and fests we play each year. After suffering through some awful monitor mixes on stage, we decided to take charge. With our system, our monitor mixes are the same whether we play a club, a party, an outside fest or rehearse. It sounds the same every time and there is zero chance of feedback (a plus for the audience). We drop our IEM mixer on the stage, connect ourselves to it and hand the engineer the whip and an input list.

It's not for everyone, but we are very happy with our setup.

• Moderators
If every band in this area adopted IEMs and dropped their stage volume by 6 dB, it would raise the bar significantly and we'd have to work harder.

Well that's just one portion of it. To be successful, you mentioned "good crowd interaction," which is really why I was mentioned the zoot suit. Even if people can play well that doesn't translate to success. People want to be entertained, and good crowd interaction is priceless. Even most bands with a good sound mix struggle to accomplish that. If you got it, you got it.:thu:

• Members

Well that's just one portion of it. To be successful, you mentioned "good crowd interaction," which is really why I was mentioned the zoot suit. Even if people can play well that doesn't translate to success. People want to be entertained, and good crowd interaction is priceless. Even most bands with a good sound mix struggle to accomplish that. If you got it, you got it.
:thu:

There are a few bands around here that have everything but good sound and lights. That's what separates us. We aren't great musicians by any stretch. There are many bands out there who play less and make less than we do that have twice the talent. They'd be making more money and playing more gigs if they had our rig, but they don't because they don't see the problem with a JRX PA, {censored}ty monitors and a few Par 56 cans that pop breakers when they work.

Archived