Back to Back Ampless IEM Gigs

burdizzos

• Members

Some people do hear with their eyes, and so they'd think something was funky, but that's where dummy cabinets come in.

We had someone come up to us on a break Saturday night and tell us how cool it was that we were using computer parts in the music. Our singer uses a laptop with lyrics on it sitting on the floor next to his pedalboard in case someone requests a song we don't fully know, or he just forgets. We showed him it was just for lyrics, wasn't hooked up to the PA, etc. His response was basically "mmm-hmm, don't worry, I won't tell, your secret's safe with me." He insisted he could hear the sequenced parts coming from that laptop!

I wanted to punch that guy. He only started talking {censored} after Jason told him that the band did not need an "awesome piano player/singer". That stage did look completely naked Saturday night. Perhaps I should get to work of som prop amps. It'd give me another location to mount lights.

Damn, that would be the perfect location for some moving heads. :idea:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

And I'll add this. At the same concert last year, I saw the opening act use amps on stage with IEM's. I was 15 rows back and to the right. The sound was crappy. The headliner had no amps on stage and IEM's (obviously). That sound was even worse. That is a comparable situation. Quality IEM's/amps/no amps/floor monitors don't make a band sound good or bad.

• Moderators
Perhaps I should get to work of som prop amps. It'd give me another location to mount lights.

Damn, that would be the perfect location for some moving heads.
:idea:

Good call. I was about to suggest that behind the "grill cloth" you could have some cool spots/strobes, etc. I can't wait to see whatever you guys come up with. The lighting and everything else looks really top notch.

• Members

Bands can absolutely rock with an IEM set up, we can agree on that because of the Geddy example,
which is the only reason I posted it.

(bold added for emphasis)

It is obviously not typical of a bar band. But there is no reason that once it is established it CAN be done, why it could not be done in a club setting once you get to the point where amp volume has a negligible effect on the house sound. That is why I asked you "Why". You then posted variables that, while are certainly showing the differences between a stadium and a club, do not give any reason why IEM's would would not be able to be used in a hard rock setting.

• Moderators

I can't do that when you take my point and make it out as if I had said something different. This is known as a "strawman".
:p
..................do not give any reason
why IEM's would would not be able to be used in a hard rock setting.

Unless the IME (in my experience) in GS' post is meant to be "IEM's." :)

He's specifically stated the "back line," which isn't about IEM's. It's about stage wash and well as visual experience that isn't provided by an ampless stage. Come on down that yellow brick road with me catphish.:lol:

• Members

I love the idea of prop amps more than I can even express. How about a beer fridge?

I suspect that bar owners would frown on me rolling a beer fridge into their joint. And given my usual gig power concerns, I'd rather not load up the circuit with a fridge. It would be pretty kickass, though.

• Members
That's what I was thinking of doing. Some 250 watt halogen work lights inside of the dummy cabs would look hot. I just have to make sure to use them in brief flashes to prevent the boxes from catching fire.
:D

Just line the inside of the boxes with cheap diamond-plate, and use perforated steel grilles.

You could flush mount some low-temp lights to a baffle to make them look like evil speaker cones.:idea:
C7

• Members

Just line the inside of the boxes with cheap diamond-plate, and use perforated steel grilles.

You could flush mount some low-temp lights to a baffle to make them look like evil speaker cones.
:idea:
C7

Are you going to haul them around for me?

I could use 4 Chauvet LEDSplash 200Bs in each box for a killer effect with the rest of the light rig. Although the thought of dropping $500+ each on a pair of dummy cabs seems a little silly... for now.

• Members

I'm getting the price check possibly tonight on the rest of the stuff. Hopefully those PAR38 LED's will come in at a price point that makes it feasible.

That will be sweet. I'm going to take the nice camera out this weekend and try to get some good pics of our full lighting rig. I haven't been able to locate a good video camera to get footage of the thing in action that will do it justice.

• Members

Chauvet Vue II. MF is blowing them out for $70.

Edit:

+1

Based on burdizzos and Z-X's experience(s), my band is moving to an LED lighting rig as well.

The plan for now is to get two trees out front with four PAR38 LED cans and two regular PAR38 cans with bastard amber gels on each. On a rear tree will be the two VUE II's pointing towards the audience. The whole thing will be run by a DMX controller and controlled by a Behringer (yeah....I know) FCB-1010 floorboard.

• Members

Actually, I have 8 Chauvet ColorSplash JRs that would probably work well in dummy cabs. They are currently on the truss as warmers and center color wash. I don't know if they'd be bright enough to show up if they were loaded into cabs and fired through grill cloth. I guess if I put expanded metal grilles on the boxes and filled the "speaker holes" with light diffusers, it would work well and look cool. Then I could just set them to sound active and let them go.

I'd knock it out this weekend except that I don't have any room in the trailer for more {censored}.

• Moderators

+1

Based on burdizzos and Z-X's experience(s), my band is moving to an LED lighting rig as well.

The plan for now is to get two trees out front ........controlled by a Behringer (yeah....I know) FCB-1010 floorboard.

Thanks, gents! I have a couple of Color Palettes. These should be very helpful.:thu:

That floorboard is one of the few "B" products that does seem to be a real value. It gets praised quite often, even by most brand snobs.

• Moderators
Actually, I have 8 Chauvet ColorSplash JRs t...............................

I'd knock it out this weekend except that I don't have any room in the trailer for more {censored}.

What it you took the heavy cardboard tubing used for forming post cement, stuck those in the holes designed for the "speakers" and placed a reflective tin foil in that tube along with the light. Would that assist with the perceived brightness?

Archived