Back to Back Ampless IEM Gigs

burdizzos

• Members

Hmmm.

Would I want a separate mixer? Right now I'm finding nothing for multiple-input, multiple channel systems. It seems I'd have to start with four mic cables, a splitter to steal the signal before sending to the stage snake, a rack-mounted mixer to blend our four levels correctly, a single-channel transmitter and four receivers, so we each hear everyone else the way we need to.

And you still need a FOH engineer to mix the drums guitars and keys, to the vocal mix.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bryan316: Allen & Heath's Mixwiz monitor console has built-in splitters, if I recall. It's not cheap but it'll do the job right.

We use Galaxy AnySpot wireless IEMs. They're wired or wireless, mono or stereo, and have never let us down yet. You can fit two to a rack space (and they come with the rack ears). The antenna mounts on the back but we bought 1' chassis-mount TNC cables off eBay and drilled the rack ears to put the antennas up front again. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Even if you wanted all five members to have an individual mix, that's a slant-top mixer rack case with 3U space underneath it. Mount a surge protector in the back because the Galaxy system uses wall-wart style AC adapters. Pre-wire your Galaxy units to your monitor mixer. Now all you've gotta do is plug all your cables into the inputs on your mixer (instead of his snake), and plug the soundguy's cables into the splitter outputs on your mixer. (You'll probably want to buy a bunch of XLR cables in case the soundguy you're using doesn't have enough to "double up" -- spray 'em a different color or buy blue cables or something just to differentiate them.)

• Members

Hmmm.

Would I want a separate mixer? Right now I'm finding nothing for multiple-input, multiple channel systems. It seems I'd have to start with four mic cables, a splitter to steal the signal before sending to the stage snake, a rack-mounted mixer to blend our four levels correctly, a single-channel transmitter and four receivers, so we each hear everyone else the way we need to.

And you still need a FOH engineer to mix the drums guitars and keys, to the vocal mix.

no need for a seperate mixer just do as C7 suggested.

EDIT: oops that is Thunderbroom with C7 pic as an avatar:o

Edit: OOPS my bad again I misunderstood the question yes you will need a seperate small mixer to adjust your mix for each of your band mates.and no it does not have to be a powered mixer

sorry about that

:D

• Members

That is a $2300 mixer. Hell, for the transmitter systems alone, it'll break our budget right now, which is ZERO budget. We were hoping everyone will be able to do a invest-yourself deal to afford this all. If there's a fourchannel in four monitor sends mini-version of yours, for a HELLUVA lot less, we'd be closer to affordable at this stage in the game.

EDIT:I also wanna talk to them about the idea of one across-the-board mix we'd set up and control, so we'd just get one transmitter and four same-channel receivers.

• Members

I'm sure that basic low/high would be good enough to tame boomy voices like mine and sharp shrill voices like Scott's so we don't blast ear drums. But that A&H board that Thunderbroom's showing is damn near capable of being a whole-PA-system mixer! We're not a bar band doing the Friday-Saturday thing, we're an original material band so we're at the mercy of the stage setup/teardown. We want a small rack and four of our own mics and cables, then give a split to the sound guy (although giving him our blend and knowing the sound guy isn't burying everyone except Tony would be a blessing) after we set it up quick-like.

This can't be a monstrous rack system, it needs to be compact and swift. Unravel four cables, everyone grabs their labeled cable and mic, and sound guy plugs our signal wherever he wants it.

• Members

While the setup that T-broom's band uses is ideal. Most bands would be fine with just adding the IEMs. As Z-x said, we use a pair of Galaxy AS1000s in our rig. The singer/guitarist and I shard a mix and it works quite well. We can hear everything clearly and never have to worry about feedback.

We could probably get by with one mix, but we already have two transmitters and Z-x likes his mix a little more drum heavy, so he gets what he wants. A band could very easily just buy a single AS1000 pack and extra receivers as needed and just get the sound guy to dial in the mix to suit everyone.

• Members

Nice system TB!

but 5 G's is prolly way over budget for a lot of these guys for an IEM system.

Try $10k+

In addition the the stuff in the picture is seven sets of Shure SLC5 buds. Add another $178 each for five of us with custom molds. We also have a patch snake for larger stages if necessary.

It is overkill for many folks but with seven of us, this works really well for us.

• Members
While the setup that T-broom's band uses is ideal. Most bands would be fine with just adding the IEMs. As Z-x said, we use a pair of Galaxy AS1000s in our rig. The singer/guitarist and I shard a mix and it works quite well. We can hear everything clearly and never have to worry about feedback.

We could probably get by with one mix, but we already have two transmitters and Z-x likes his mix a little more drum heavy, so he gets what he wants. A band could very easily just buy a single AS1000 pack and extra receivers as needed and just get the sound guy to dial in the mix to suit everyone.

that is exactley what I have and a little Peavey 14 channel mixer so we can mix on stage which still set me back almost $2500.00 but it is well worth every penny
but Ya without a doubt TB has a very nice professional setup that I would love to have :thu:

• Members

I don't know much about the technical side of this stuff, but if you're gonna use a regular mixer for the IEM's, you're gonna need to have enough Aux Sends to create the number of mixes you want. Our mixer can create 12 mono or 6 stereo mixes. I think most boards have 4 sends which could work for the right band.

• Members

American Musical has (or had) a sale going on for one Galaxy transmitter with 4 receivers for about $800. You'll want to budget for earbuds too, nobody will like their mix with the stock earbuds. Musicians Friend had a sale on the SCL3 and SCL4 earbuds for $59 and $79 respectively, which is a steal.

Everyone in the band can share a mix, but it won't be optimal. It's the cheapest way to go for sure. Plus, then as individual members want their own mix, they can buy their own transmitter. Remember though, it'll be easy to get the soundguy at the venue to set you up with one mix... the more mixes you need, the more of a pain in the ass you become. It'd also be great to give him a sheet with what you want in the mix. When you're working on the mix, start with the vocals only, and add everything else after that -- makes it much easier, IMO.

• Members
You know how an outgoing President will pardon people before he leaves office.

Let's just say I'm going to go the other way with it.
:wave:

:D

No biggie - it's not like this is the only place on the 'net...

Funny thing about the last chicken{censored} ban you put on me - it was over a weekend that I gigged both friday and saturday, so I didn't miss out at all - hahahaha!!!

- georgestrings

• Moderators
No biggie - it's not like this is the only place on the 'net...

Funny thing about the last chicken{censored} ban you put on me - it was over a weekend that I gigged both friday and saturday, so I didn't miss out at all - hahahaha!!!

- georgestrings

Why don't you post your gigging schedule so catphish can actually administer the ban hammer on you more effectively next time?

• Members

Sorry to re-rail the derailed thread, but...

I am intrigued.

I am confused about the setup.

I'd love to go ampless on stage. What is your gear setup, wiring, etc? And how do you all get separate mixes?

We are a three piece - guitar player (TC electronics preamp into a spawn amp head/marshall cab), me (GB750 and a bergie cab and keyboards, sometimes simultaneously) and a standard drum kit. All three of us sing, alternating leads/backup.

What's the setup? Does everyone get the same mix? I assume it goes: Instruments --> preamps --> main board --> monitor mix out to IEMs, main mix out to house mains, drums --->mics ---> main board.

so everyone gets the same IEM mix - vocals, guitars, drums, keys and bass into their IEMs? or is there a better way to do it?

i want to do this. i'm sold. not having to lug all that crap around sounds like a dream come true. show me the way, sensei.

• Members

Sorry to re-rail the derailed thread, but...

I am intrigued.

I am confused about the setup.

I'd love to go ampless on stage. What is your gear setup, wiring, etc? And how do you all get separate mixes?

We are a three piece - guitar player (TC electronics preamp into a spawn amp head/marshall cab), me (GB750 and a bergie cab and keyboards, sometimes simultaneously) and a standard drum kit. All three of us sing, alternating leads/backup.

What's the setup? Does everyone get the same mix? I assume it goes: Instruments --> preamps --> main board --> monitor mix out to IEMs, main mix out to house mains, drums --->mics ---> main board.

so everyone gets the same IEM mix - vocals, guitars, drums, keys and bass into their IEMs? or is there a better way to do it?

i want to do this. i'm sold. not having to lug all that crap around sounds like a dream come true. show me the way, sensei.

I'll try to post more on this when I get a chance unless someone beats me too it. I'm in class right now.

Archived