How will an old Marshall amp work for bass?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe you should ponder that idea for a while and see if there are alternative conclusions you might reach.

You're like a wordy magic 8 ball......

"Will Kindness go back and re-read his posts?"

*shake shake shake*

"Please inquire again, when your useless preponderance and short sighted nature have passed"

:rolleyes:

• Members

NO! changing tubes IS routine maintenance!

With extreme heavy usage, they may only last 6 months. Although, I bought a Traynor YGL-3a Mark III, and it had the original tubes.....30 years old, and sounded great. I've also had a brand new amp with brand new tubes go microphonic soon after bringing it home. So you never know with tubes......

i think the argument here stems from this statement.

changing tubes IS maintenance but, not ROUTINE maintenance.there is no law saying that a tube will fail in a certain amount of time so unless the tube fails there is no reason to change it ( aside from trying to achieve certain "tonal" goals).

most normal players don't have the experience needed to troubleshoot a tube amp at a gig so carrying a full set of tubes would be useless for them.

• Moderators
Carrying backup tubes makes as much sense to me as carrying backup transistors. If an amp fails at a gig, you aren't going to fix it there, especially if you're the kind of guy that thinks putting new tubes in a failed circuit is "fixing" it........

• Moderators

...but a
tube
failing is most likely easy to fix on the spot if you have spares.

Your answer to the question "ow do you know you have a failing/failed tube in the middle of a gig?" demonstrates perfectly why this is not the type of troubleshooting you do at a gig.

• Members

Well, I'd rather have tube spares....just in case.....since it's more likely for a tube to fail......rather then the amp to fry.

Having a spare amp is the quickest and easiest solution....that's for sure. That said, I'd rather have my main amp up and running....then have to use my spare.

Are we arguing about agreeing? :idk:

• Moderators
Having a spare amp is the quickest and easiest solution....that's for sure. That said, I'd rather have my main amp up and running....then have to use my spare.

As an audience member, do you really have to waste my time changing tubes, when it may not be a tube issue? Why not just grab your spare amp (or other backup plan to get your signal to the audience) instead? It'd take about a minute and a half to get that job done, absolute tops.

• Moderators

As an audience member, do you really have to waste my time changing tubes,
when it may not be a tube issue
?

Wait guys, it'll just take me 5 minutes to get this up and running again... poof... hmmm... well there's another failed tube... thankfully I brought a spare spare... poof... maybe the problem isn't the failed tube after all - the tube is just the symptom... hmmm... just wait another minute for me to get my backup amp...

Troubleshooting is not a "during the gig" activity.

• Members

I see your point......

I'm talking from a guitarist's perspective.......

usually a main amp is tube, and the spare SS. So I'd avoid playing the SS guitar amp at all costs. Plus in the case of me replacing at tube at a gig.....the moron didn't bring a backup. :o

So yeah, you're right.......none the less.....I would always carry spare tubes......just in case I do have time to swap them.

• Moderators

I see your point......

I'm talking from a guitarist's perspective.......

usually a main amp is tube, and the spare SS. So I'd avoid playing the SS guitar amp at all costs.

What you have is a main amp and a "oh god, anything but that piece of {censored}!" amp. If you are worried about the reliability of your main amp you need a backup.

• Moderators

Who's ever really worried? I only take a backup because I want to avoid any issues.
I've never had any problems though. ever

And neither have most people with lots of experience. Which is the another reason your statement that changing tubes at a gig is routine makes no sense.

• Moderators

I would be more than likely, if my amp failed to run direct to the board and have the house send a bunch of bass back to my monitor. It won't sound great or blow air up my rectum, but I'll get through the gig and troubleshoot when I get home. I feel no differently for a guitarist. If it fails, plug into an amp sim pedal or speaker sim DI and send it to the board. It's generally a spare because it's not your favorite. Well no other solution is going to be your favorite either, otherwise it would be your primary gig rig. Why pack a bunch of stuff to get through a gig that isn't necessary?

• Members

Kindness is right in that some tubes will last many years , good tubes can last many many years up to 25 or more even with a lot of use , now Biasing ,that is a routine maintenance procedure . I don't carry backup tubes myself but I have them I do however carry back up fuses . :lol:;)

• Moderators
Ah! Now I found our discrepancy!

I'm sorry if I came off as sounding like tube swapping is routine at a gig.

I meant changing tubes is standard tube amp maintenance.
:thu:

:thu:

When tubes fail, it is standard to replace them. Sometimes that happens within minutes of installing a new tube, sometimes decades. However, when a tube fails, it is important to determine the cause of the failure. In some cases, a poorly manufactured tube is the cause. In some cases, the manner in which the tube is used in the circuit has worn the tube out over time. In other cases, something else in the amp is causing the problem. Of course one step in troubleshooting the amp could be to replace the tube in question, but even if that temporarily "solves" the problem, you still want to go through the amp and make sure it is functioning correctly. This isn't "routine" maintenance like changing strings or batteries in a pedal/bass.

• Members

...you cannot predict how long tubes will last.....

Sorry, but that statement is uncategorically wrong. They give lots of indications that they aer failing. They start to break up much sooner and generally sound like crap.

You can break a tube by handling the amp harshly. If you are doing that you probably don't need to be using tubes in the first place.

Archived