How will an old Marshall amp work for bass?

Cliff Fiscal

• Moderators

Like I said earlier, been doing this for forty years and have never had a tube go out without it giving a lot of warning.

I haven't been alive that long, but the only times I've seen it happen without warning is within the first few hours of use or after being physically abused.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been alive that long, but the only times I've seen it happen without warning is within the first few hours of use or after being physically abused.

True. But if they don't give up the ghost when they are first used they will last their entire design life if they are not physically abused.

• Moderators

Out of curiosity, how do you go about finding the real output?

You feed the amp an input signal from a sine wave generator while watching the output on an oscilloscope. Then you measure the output voltage when signal starts to clip on the oscilloscope. You can get more precise by using a harmonic frequency analysis of the output signal, but the oscilloscope is accurate.

• Members

I actually did have a tube malfunction at a gig. Everything was fine,and then I just went silent. I looked in the top of my Marshall,and could see that the first power tube wasn't glowing. I always kept a spare power tube with me. Opened the amp up,switched tubes,had signal,finished the set.On break I inspected the tube,and there was a pinhead sized hole in the side of it.I rationalized that it had to be a tube malfunction,finished the gig,and never had another problem of any kind with that amp.Did a complete tube replacement with that gig money,and ate one pot pie a day for a week!!! Lol.

• Members
I actually did have a tube malfunction at a gig. Everything was fine,and then I just went silent. I looked in the top of my Marshall,and could see that the first power tube wasn't glowing. I always kept a spare power tube with me. Opened the amp up,switched tubes,had signal,finished the set.On break I inspected the tube,and there was a pinhead sized hole in the side of it.I rationalized that it had to be a tube malfunction,finished the gig,and never had another problem of any kind with that amp.Did a complete tube replacement with that gig money,and ate one pot pie a day for a week!!! Lol.

A single power tube failure won't cause your amp to go silent. :idea:

• Members

In using tube amps for most of my career (there were a few SS years in the late 70's / early 80's) I've had exactly one catastrophic tube failure on a gig. I had a power tube arc in my marshall back in '87.

That was it. Considering 20+ years and over 1000 gigs since then, not too bad. :D

If I'm going out on tour, I'll bring a spare set of power tubes but certainly not for playing around here.

• Members
Marshall? What amp are you playing? Any advice?

I use a 100W superlead > 2 12"s for a "presence" amp on certain rock gigs...in conjunction with an SVT > into 2 15's for bottom. That's 10 6550s - headroom is not an issue. :thu:

I think as a matter of practicality asking a 50W marshall to provide ample fat bottom for a rock band is pushing it - maybe with a lot of very efficient speaker area it could work. Four EL34s or 6L6s is more reasonable, but again you need the right cab(s).

I use an ampeg V4B through a single 15" for a lot of the gigs I do anymore.

• Members

Played a Fender P through a 100 guitar amp for a while. Sound was okay, but there is one thing about Marshall tube amp you must know:

If you play a Marshall, you need to own 3.
1 to play on stage.
1 back stage as a backup for when the one you are playing blows up.
1 in the shop getting repaired so you can swap it out for the one that will blow up next.

• Members
Sounds like you were hoodwinked by one or more bad techs. There is nothing inherently unstable or fragile about Marshall amps. Quite the opposite in fact.

shhhh...... :mad:

everyone knows those old marshalls with the tubes in them are the worst amps ever built.everyone should just box theirs' up and send em to me for "disposal" ....
:wave:

• Moderators
shhhh......
:mad:

everyone knows those old marshalls with the tubes in them are the worst amps ever built.everyone should just box theirs' up and send em to me for "disposal" ....

:wave:

Right. That's what I meant. Did you know that in the 1960s and 1970s Ampeg made amps that will in fact become radioactive in the year 2010. True story. Anyone reading this that has access to one of these dangerous amps, please PM me for information about the official containment location. I will provide you with a prepaid shipping label to make the shipment as easy as possible. :idea:

Archived