How will an old Marshall amp work for bass?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
Played a Fender P through a 100 guitar amp for a while. Sound was okay, but there is one thing about Marshall tube amp you must know:

If you play a Marshall, you need to own 3.

1 to play on stage.

1 back stage as a backup for when the one you are playing blows up.

1 in the shop getting repaired so you can swap it out for the one that will blow up next.

My '72 Superlead had the original fuses in it until '87. :)

I've had zero problems with it other than the one arc incident that year.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Right. That's what I meant. Did you know that in the 1960s and 1970s Ampeg made amps that will in fact become radioactive in the year 2010. True story. Anyone reading this that has access to one of these dangerous amps, please PM me for information about the official containment location. I will provide you with a prepaid shipping label to make the shipment as easy as possible.
:idea:

we're such nice guys.:wave:

• Members

Played a Fender P through a 100 guitar amp for a while. Sound was okay, but there is one thing about Marshall tube amp you must know:

If you play a Marshall, you need to own 3.

1 to play on stage.

1 back stage as a backup for when the one you are playing blows up.

1 in the shop getting repaired so you can swap it out for the one that will blow up next.

Are you sure you had the impedance switch set correctly for the load you were giving it?

I've seen and smelled the results of that mistake (bye bye, mr output transformer) :lol:

• Members

You feed the amp an input signal from a sine wave generator while watching the output on an oscilloscope. Then you measure the output voltage when signal starts to clip on the oscilloscope. You can get more
precise
by using a harmonic frequency analysis of the output signal, but the oscilloscope is
accurate

Ok. I had no clue how, so thanks for the info.

Archived