How will an old Marshall amp work for bass?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
So why are these dudes running 300w bass amps....

I won't repeat what has already been said (I agree with most of it). But I'll tell you why I have a 300w head (600w @ 4ohms):

1.) It's the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. I wanted a small, lightweight head, and they are (mostly) all in the 500-600 watt range. So there's not much of a variety outside of that range. And I paid for it new what the Shuttle 3.0 shelf price is. :idk:

2.) I wanted something powerful enough to handle larger gigs without PA support. Not that I often need that. But I can always turn down if it's too much power. And I'd rather play 9 out of 10 gigs with far too much available power, than be at that 10th gig without enough, and not be heard.

Plus, we have a lot of outdoor festivals in this area. I can hear a smaller amp on an outdoor stage... but my drummer or guitarist might not. Bass gets lost quicker outdoors.

3.) I have an Ampeg 150w 2x8" combo that does nicely for rehearsals and many gigs.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had a few amp threads recently and I was led to believe a 100w tube bass amp would not keep up with a 100w tube guitar amp.

How would you characterize the tone?

Why don't more bass players do this?

Bass amps push more low frequencies, so yes you need more power than a guitarist. If you can run your rig through the PA, it's not so much an issue.

In The Boomers, Finn plays through a 30 watt Vox AC30CCH head and 4x12 cab. Frank plays through a '70s plexi 50 watt head and a 4x12 cab. I use a 200 watt Traynor TBA 200 tube head and 2x10 and 1x15 Avatar neo cabs.

Our stage volume is pretty low. You can get good tone without compressing your eardrums...

As for the tone, if you like dirt you'll love it. Many players prefer a modern, clean hi-fi tone. To each his own, I guess...

• Members

Bass amps push more low frequencies, so yes you need more power than a guitarist. If you can run your rig through the PA, it's not so much an issue.

In The Boomers, Finn plays through a 30 watt Vox AC30CCH head and 4x12 cab. Frank plays through a '70s plexi 50 watt head and a 4x12 cab. I use a 200 watt Traynor TBA 200 tube head and 2x10 and 1x15 Avatar neo cabs.

Our stage volume is pretty low. You can get good tone without compressing your eardrums...

As for the tone, if you like dirt you'll love it. Many players prefer a modern, clean hi-fi tone. To each his own, I guess...

I'm going to have to talk to the guys about lowering our volumes a little to make sure we keep things sane. I hear those plexis are {censored}ing loud though....:o

I do love dirt.....I've never played completely clean. I prefer that fat round tone...doesn't have to be distorted to the ear, but that natural compressed warmth is where I like to sit. :love:

• Members

Well, I just went and tried out my YBA-1 (based on the Bassman/JTM) with my bass cab.....

....not sure why I hadn't tried it before. :idk:

It sounds really good, and was REALLY loud......It sounds very clear, and natural....which is why I liked it with guitar. It's got more of a hearty mid range then my XS400H. The low end is a little boomier and not as tweakable. Very old school....which I really like. The YBA doesn't seem to have that synthetic high end snap of the XS or other bass amps.

I can only imagine a decent modern tube bass amp would have the tonal shaping options of my XS and the great tone of the YBA?

I'm hoping the Plexi (bass model) that's coming has more of a bass voicing, rather then guitar.

• Members

If your goal is to keep up with a drummer (this should be your goal - along with retraining guitar players into recognizing the idiocy of diming 100 watt guitar amps)

idiocy? wanna come down off your high horse for a minute? plenty of touring bands still aren't afraid to turn up their amps, and god bless them.

when i see people with 18,000 posts giving advice like this, i remember that those are the people that in all actuality go to very few rock and roll shows.

just my .02

• Members

idiocy? wanna come down off your high horse for a minute? plenty of touring bands still aren't afraid to turn up their amps, and god bless them.

when i see people with 18,000 posts giving advice like this, i remember that those are the people that in all actuality go to very few rock and roll shows.

just my .02

The OP doesn't play in a touring band, and just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it right. ;)

Your typical bar gig doesn't require a dimed 100W Marshall. End of story.

• Members

When it comes to tube bass amps and artists of our favorite bands......

I mean, what did Jack Bruce play through? John Paul Jones? Zappa's bass players? What about the rest of the classic players over time? Hell, even Flea? I need an education on this subject.

• Members

Something else to keep in mind, Joshua, is that an amp rarely, if ever, is called upon to deliver its full power rating. Just because an SVT, for example, is rated for 300W of output doesn't mean that it's constantly delivering that power regardless of volume. Rather, the output depends on the volume of the amp, the frequency of the notes you're playing, and your EQ, among other factors. Your XS400H might be rated at 400W, but it's likely that you've never pushed it to the point where it's really been delivering its full power.

Ratings might give you an idea of what an amp is capable of, but in the end, if you're loud enough, that's what matters.

• Members

When I was gigging with a cover band....."5" was the loudest I had ever gotten the XS400H.....which is pretty loud......I cranked the YBA up to noon for a short period, and it was just as loud as the XS. It was overdriving, and a lot looser....but oh so much sweeter. :love:

Now that I've heard 50w into a bass cab.....that seems to be plenty. I'm going to try it out at rehearsal this thursday.

• Members

That's fine. They are allowed to do that. But that doesn't make it necessary to do so. And when you are playing in a venue that holds no more than 200 people... well... I agree. It's the epitome of idiocy.

If you can't see it... I can't show it to you. But I've played with far too many musicians who felt that necessity to play as loudly as possible. And since I'm usually the guy running sound in my bands, it's a nightmare to try and establish a good mix which the audience enjoys.

While I can see the (unfounded) basis for your stereotype... I think it's important to remember that you still don't know anything about the person you're talking about.

• Moderators

just my .02

Fair point, the context of my post wasn't entirely self-evident, even if others on the board knew what I meant. There are times and places for 100 watt guitar amps and I've been in bands that use them to great effect. Some of my favorite musicians do as well.

As an FYI, those that know me and my posting recognize that I make my factual statements with the greatest of care and attention to detail. However, in contrast, my opinions are often stated as hyperbole for effect. If search worked, I'd show you how funny I am. :facepalm:

• Moderators

Who needs a search? I got your back. Your sense of humor is top notch.
:lol:

:mad:

I told you guys, brown nosing is a bannable offense. If that wasn't brown nosing and was mocking, I'm also putting in the rule that mockery is a bannable offense. So is simple conversation or lack of joining in simple conversation. So is being right or being wrong... :blah::blah: :bor:

Archived