Control knobs on bass

Jazz Ad

• Members

I always defended simplicity and dare I say, purity in the controls of an instrument. Have all you need and only what you need is my motto.

Still, many people are keen on having a forest of knobs and switches on the instruments, to the point of getting lost.

I understand it can be useful for some bass players who like to dial the perfect tone but there aren't many.

Maybe we could learn a bit from the stars. Take a look at Ibanez's new range of products.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_france.html

Instruments from the regular products (first line) tend to have a lot of controls with multi band EQs, shape switches and stuff. I guess it sells better.

Now take a look at the Signature products. Ibanez endorsers usually play their instrument. It's rarely only for the looks.

Peter Iwers, Mike d'Antonio and Paul Romanko have nothing but a volume knob on their instrument. I realize it's a trend and part of the big bollock rock image. Still, they get away fine with it.

Gary Willis (whose control of tone and versatility don't leave much room for discussion) gets away fine with 3 knobs and his fingers.

So, what about you ? Do you want your bass to look like an Airbus control panel or do you like sheer simplicity?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only thing I really need are volume knobs on a bass. I use those the most. However some of my basses have a bit more... some far less. One has a full 3 band eq, another has a varitone and one is just wired straight to the jack! :evil:

What I'm trying to say is that I can do without all the stuff. Actually if I'm looking at a new bass to buy, a large eq section onboard would turn me off! A lot of knobs on a bass just ruin it for me. I wanna easily be able to find what I need.

• Members

i guess i'm somewhere in the middle. depending on pickup configuration, i like volume/volume (or blend)/three-band EQ and a series/parallel switch if applicable (MM-type pickups).

i can easily deal without those things, but that's about the max for my comfort level.

YMMV.

• Members

snip

Im very similar to you. Having the ability to use different voices and modestly shaping them is important to me. However, I can achieve this via pickup selection and tone controls, and I prefer single coils. With rare exceptions, I could do just about everything I want to do with a Fender Jazz setup

• Members

simple as can be , if it has 2 p/u than a blend is useful but volume is really all I need , simple but not this simple

twxt8n.jpg

naruchoschoicekeronpachi11.jpg

twxt8n_1.jpg

twxt8n_2.jpg

The TUNE Keronpachi actually does have controls , inside the cavity and not to mention a custom 8 string wank bar .

• Members

I'm split, I like the idea of having an AJ style setup, but at the same time my bass has a 2 band EQ, master and blend and my custom in the works has 3 switches and 4 knobs.

All have purposes, and I use all of them so I guess it's ok. When you have one bass to cover everything (like I do and no other instruments in your songs having flexibility is important. I also change what I like often, sometimes I want no highs and only bass, sometimes passive, sometimes something else - for that EQ works for me.

• Members

passive - vol & tone is fine

active - I like the vol, blend and 3 band eq

Normally, I use the eq on my amp and then do simple tweaks on my bass for the room. Additionally, it's easier to make changes on the bass when walking around the room to hear how everything in the mix sounds.

• Members

I'd say you rely more on your fingers.

I still dont think moving the plucking fingers up and down the neck changes the voice all that much on a single mid-pickup bass. You get quite a bit more wider spectrum at the bridge, but moving it along the strings towards the neck only acts like a tone control rolloff (gets 'boomier' and loses harmonics), which is great for the "fake upright" technique. An actual Q-control (resonance/sweepable parametric) like on early Alembics does exactly this except it just enhances certain frequencies leaving everything else intact (Modern sweepable parametrics, like on some Ibanez basses can add or subtract)The voicing is still the same...but thats just me. With a two-pickup bass, there seems to be a little more to work with using the moving-plucking hand method

Just an opinion, of course

• Members

1 control knob, 5 control knob, 500 control knobs...I don't mind, as long as it plays well and sounds decent I'll rock it
:thu:

I tend to keep the EQ on my basses flat but it's nice to know it's there

This covers it for me - I regularly play actives with on-board EQs, to "normal" passives, to passives wired straight to the jack... To me, it's all about playability and tone...

- georgestrings

• Members

passive - vol & tone is fine

active - I like the vol, blend and 3 band eq

Normally, I use the eq on my amp and then do simple tweaks on my bass for the room. Additionally, it's easier to make changes on the bass when walking around the room to hear how everything in the mix sounds.

I tend to use on-board EQs to even things out between different basses I gig with, and dial in the stage mix and room with my amp's EQ - that way, I can change instruments in mid set without screwing over the FOH mix...

- georgestrings

• Members

I still dont think moving the plucking fingers up and down the neck changes the voice all that much on a single mid-pickup bass. You get quite a bit more wider spectrum at the bridge, but moving it along the strings towards the neck only acts like a tone control rolloff (gets 'boomier' and loses harmonics), which is great for the "fake upright" technique. An actual Q-control (resonance/sweepable parametric) like on early Alembics does exactly this except it just enhances certain frequencies leaving everything else intact (Modern sweepable parametrics, like on some Ibanez basses can add or subtract)The voicing is still the same...but thats just me. With a two-pickup bass, there seems to be a little more to work with using the moving-plucking hand method

Just an opinion, of course

+1, people love to say "tone is in your fingers", and I agree to a point, but there is a point where its nice to have an EQ onboard. I like passive and active basses. I really like a simple 3 band. Why a Fodera has to have 12 switches on a 4 string bass is beyond me.

Dan

• Members

Problem is, then you rely more on the amp eq.

Not sure why that is a problem...that is the purpose of the amp.

I gotta agree with Freestyleintruder - I tend to keep the bass and treble knobs right in the middle (detent). I rarely (maybe once a month or so) make any adjustments on the bass, after carefully setting up and doing a soundcheck and adjusting the amp for the room before we begin.

Archived