Waterboarding

Thunderbroom

• Moderators
so what were the other hundred times for
:confused:

Am I supposed to know? Did I do the interrogating? Perhaps he reneged on his decision to "tell everything he knew." Why don't you ask the people in charge of the interrogations? It seems the new Administration has no problem giving away information that has no business being less than top secret.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Am I supposed to know? Did I do the interrogating? Perhaps he reneged on his decision to "tell everything he knew." Why don't you ask the people in charge of the interrogations? It seems the new Administration has no problem giving away information that has no business being less than top secret.

my issue is do you really trust the people who say "oh yeah h told us everything in 30 seconds" any more than the one who say "they tried it 100 times and got nuthin" you really think any of them are impartial or honest?

• Members

We stopped following the rules against the Japanese when we found our beheaded soldiers with their hacked off genitalia stuffed in the their mouths.
As for terrorist, they don't represent any country, they don't distiguish between their enemies or the innocents and they don't wear uniforms. They should not be afforded "Geneva Convention" rights.

• Moderators
my issue is do you really trust the people who say "oh yeah h told us everything in 30 seconds" any more than the one who say "they tried it 100 times and got nuthin" you really think any of them are impartial or honest?

The OP asked a question that suggested waterboarding wasn't effective. Giving it up at 35 seconds in to the process seems to have been effective. If you'd like to argue something other than what my position was, feel free to do so.

• Members

During the Japanese occupation of Singapore the Double Tenth Incident occurred. This included waterboarding, by the method of binding or holding down the victim on his back, placing a cloth over his mouth and nose, and pouring water onto the cloth.
In this version, interrogation continued during the torture, with the interrogators beating the victim if he did not reply and the victim swallowing water if he opened his mouth to answer or breathe. When the victim could ingest no more water, the interrogators would beat or jump on his distended stomach.

It's {censored}ed up WHOEVER does it, IMHO.

Not to mention the fact that, according to Thumper (who I think can safely be considered the forum's resident expert in this field) it just doesn't work.

• Members

The OP asked a question that suggested waterboarding wasn't effective. Giving it up at 35 seconds in to the process seems to have been effective. If you'd like to argue something other than what my position was, feel free to do so.

So if he gave up everything he knew in 35 seconds, the other 100+ times were just to torture the guy?!? Seriously, if he gave it up after the first time, then why do it 100+ more times? I was of the mindset from the outset to go with "by any means necessary" relative to getting info from suspected terrorists; however, this reeks.

• Members

Here we go again...

My two cents: Torture usually doesn't work. The subject will get to the point when they'll say what they think the interrogator wants to hear, just to end the torture.

We lose the moral high ground when we resort to the same methods used by our enemies.

I served as a human intelligence officer in the Balkans in the late '90s. You can often get good, reliable intel through more humane means.

I'm not saying coddle the bastards---far from it. Just that there are better ways to collect intel.

• Members

Here we go again...

My two cents: Torture usually doesn't work. The subject will get to the point when they'll say what they
think
the interrogator wants to hear, just to end the torture.

This is my concern.

I've never been tortured (unless you count the time I went to a Dashboard Confessional show) but I'm pretty certain that I could be made to admit to being Ghengis Khan if I was having water poured over my face or electricity passed through my genitals or eels stuffed up my anus

• Members

the article says that he gave it up after 35 seconds, it also says he was waterboarded over a hundred times. wtf? the rest of the tiems were just for fun?

• Members

Here we go again...

My two cents: Torture usually doesn't work.

My brother is a CHP Cadet in his second time through the academy. They make the cadets experience tazer, pepper spray and tear gas. Did the govt expose you to any type of torture during your training?

• Members

My brother is a CHP Cadet in his second time through the academy. They make the cadets experience tazer, pepper spray and tear gas. Did the govt expose you to any type of torture during your training?

The reason they do that is because you don't really have faith in some of those things until they drop you to the deck. It also helps to be exposed in case someone gets ahold of one or the other and you get it used on you.

When I was pepper sprayed I was sprayed and then attacked by two people and I had to draw my weapon and get them to the ground. Better for that stuff to happen during training than in real life.

Dan

• Members

Back in the day HUMINT guys went through the Resistance Phase of the USAF SERE (Survive, Evade, Resist, Escape) training that every USAF air crew takes. The idea was to give interrogators a view from the Other Side.

It was the most unpleasant several days of my life. :freak:

It did prepare me for 19 years (and counting) of marriage, though. :D

(It's a good thing Mrs. Thumper is out of town. If she saw this, she'd had my nuts on a necklace and my liver on a stick, roasting over an open fire...)

Archived