So what's the deal about Jaco?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a big fan. I just don't really get it. On "Tracy" he's not really playing it like a bass anyway. Wooten is God as far as I'm concerned.

wooten was heavily influenced by jaco.

so i find it interesting that you like wooten and not jaco...

• Members

It's hard to enjoy a fusion bass player if you're not into fusion.

Same could be said for Steve Di Diorgio, Steve Harris, Charles Mingus, Michael Manring or any other great player in a style out of mainstream.

The thing with Jaco is that he pretty much reinvented bass playing. Hard to understand today though, as Renfield said you had to be there.

• Members

There's a Mitch Hedburg "influenced or inspired by" bit around here somewhere... I think it applies to these types of instances. :D :D :D

• Members

Fluttering 16th-notes don't make my genitals tingle.

For me, this music sounds too much like it came out of someone's head. I don't feel the soul, the spirit, the flow. Instead, I get: intellect, corny, unnecessarily fancy.

But that's ok. People who want to drink martinis and moan about their lives, they need to go out and see live music, too. Hey, why not go see Jaco?

• Members

Same could be said for Steve Di Diorgio, Steve Harris, Charles Mingus, Michael Manring or any other great player in a style out of mainstream.

The thing with Jaco is that he pretty much reinvented bass playing. Hard to understand today though, as Renfield said you had to be there.

I don't think bass the way Jamerson played needed to be "reinvented", but that's just me...

I also enjoy Stanley's playing a considerable amount more.

• Members

My problem with Pastorius is, that I think he could play bass so incredibly well. He knew the useful notes and could lay the sweetest of grooves and he could spice them up, too.
In absurdium. I'm totally at a loss as to his arty side. The same with young Felix. I'm sure, it's due to my lack of musical education; but to me, it's notes, not music. Not bass.

Flametime ?

• Members

Whatever happened to just not liking something? It's ok. The world will not implode if someone does or doesn't like Jaco, whether they truly "get" him or not, or whether they've heard his entire discography.

Amazingly, life goes on, and we don't have to sit here arguing over how someone probably just "doesn't understand" his music if they flat out don't like him.

I Promise.

• Members

Whatever happened to just not liking something? It's ok. The world will not implode if someone does or doesn't like Jaco, whether they truly "get" him or not, or whether they've heard his entire discography.

Amazingly, life goes on, and we don't have to sit here arguing over how someone just can't possibly "understand" if they just flat out don't like him.

I Promise.

gtfo n00b.

• Members

Wooten pals around with Bootsy and grew up listening to Parliament-Funkadelic. He and his brothers opened for James Brown. There's groove and funk in Vic's bones.

I can't hear funk in Jaco. I hear him trying really hard ... Jaco is too much in his head.

As much as Les Claypool is rock, I can hear Louis Johnson and Bootsy in his playing. Jaco? I just hear thinly-veiled jazz.

• Members

Ok! FANTASTIC! Thank you for that. Maybe that's really my issue and it's not as much with Jaco as much as it's with the genre.

The unison horn riffs, the melodies they write. And the weird feeling I get from something that's uncomfortably stuck between rock and jazz, or stuck between funk and jazz or reggae and jazz. Blech!

D'Angelo is the only example I've got of someone who can bring funk and R&B and completely conceal the jazz under-girding. Only when I was in bands trying to cover D'Angelo did it become clear, "this {censored} is hard!"

Archived