So what's the deal about Jaco?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was around when he got started. Jaco the innovator.

Jaco the jawdropper, more like.

I lol at those that dismiss the impact of Jaco and EVH; these were the same guys that would debate back in the day about how EVH or Jaco did a particular trick:

"Oh that's easy; he's just.....:blah:"

Thing is - they couldn't do it: not without serious effort and a lot of study. :lol:

I guess it's easy to pull up stuff on Youtube know and immediately be able to SEE how a certain technique is performed or whatever.

We didn't have that luxury "back in the day", and honestly - I'm glad.

It made us use our EARS and not our EYES to judge music. :idea:

• Members

Ok! FANTASTIC! Thank you for that. Maybe that's really my issue and it's not as much with Jaco as much as it's with the genre.

The unison horn riffs, the melodies they write. And the weird feeling I get from something that's uncomfortably stuck between rock and jazz, or stuck between funk and jazz or reggae and jazz.
Blech!

D'Angelo is the only example I've got of someone who can bring funk and R&B and completely conceal the jazz under-girding. Only when I was in bands trying to cover D'Angelo did it become clear, "this {censored} is hard!"

pino palladino does the d'angelo stuff. personally i'd choose pino over jaco anyday (notice both their names with 'o' on the end...maybe thats the secret? chlobo? or wooto. lol that sounds like a cereal! anywhoo i'm rambling...) but i appreciate what jaco did in his time. i just think he went a little too trying to be a guitard...

• Members

He was merely seeing where he could take his bass playing. There were no rules as to what he should or should not do on the bass.

very true, not denying this in anyway. I can cope with the odd thing he did (i had learnt 'birdland' for my grade 8 and enjoyed it) but i'd never say he was my favorite or biggest influence...where as pino is definitely in the top 5. along with people like esperanza and john paul jones...

• Members

pino palladino does the d'angelo stuff. personally i'd choose pino over jaco anyday (notice both their names with 'o' on the end...maybe thats the secret? chlobo? or wooto. lol that sounds like a cereal! anywhoo i'm rambling...) but i appreciate what jaco did in his time. i just think he went a little too trying to be a guitard...

Charlie Hunter played bass (and guitar) on Spanish Joint.

Not only are the chords jazzy but the timing isn't easy. Sounds easy until you try to get a whole band to play it--especially that hit on the e-of-4.

Also on the Voodoo album

Pino did play bass on Chicken Grease. AWESOME!

• Members

When I started playing bass 10 years ago, people gave him wayyyy more props. I see a lot of negativity towards him in this thread. Fine. When I started posting here there weren't as many members, but at least most of them knew what they were talking about. Whoever brought up the whole youtube age has a good point though and I'll add to it. There's so many bass players on there that are great posting videos, but it seems like most of them are all trying trying to copy somebody or another. I'm guilty of that I presume, but at least I'm not making a mockery out of other's stuff on youtube. If I ever decide to post myself on youtube it's going to be my own stuff. I just don't give a {censored} at this point to hear a thousand people tell me that they could play my stuff better, so I have no real desire to post anything. It gets tiring watching people start the same flame wars over and over again on youtube videos, and they all have to have "video responses" just for measuring their own dicks...

Seems like I'm starting something myself, but whatever.

• Members

When I started playing bass 10 years ago, people gave him wayyyy more props. I see a lot of negativity towards him in this thread. Fine. When I started posting here there weren't as many members, but at least most of them knew what they were talking about. Whoever brought up the whole youtube age has a good point though and I'll add to it. There's so many bass players on there that are great posting videos, but it seems like most of them are all trying trying to copy somebody or another. I'm guilty of that I presume, but at least I'm not making a mockery out of other's stuff on youtube. If I ever decide to post myself on youtube it's going to be my own stuff. I just don't give a {censored} at this point to hear a thousand people tell me that they could play my stuff better, so I have no real desire to post anything. It gets tiring watching people start the same flame wars over and over again on youtube videos, and they all have to have "video responses" just for measuring their own dicks...

It's become fashionable of late to diss Jaco and other 'virtuosos' from the bygone era, such as Eddie Van Halen.

That's because Wooten et. al are "better".

• Members

Why so serious????

Relax.

Relaaaaax.

Archived