So what's the deal about Jaco?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw Weather Report in 83, and I was REALLY looking forward to it. Zawinul and Shorter were outstanding, when they weren't being drowned out by the nuclear farts that Jaco was producing. Admittedley, it was late in his tenure, and he was likely snowblind.

• Members

Yup, the song "Coyote" in particular. (for me anyway). on one hand, he could be accused of hideously overplaying a simple song,

Now see, that to me is the best of Jaco's works. I love the groove and wank balance mixed within a slick pop tune.

[YOUTUBE]B2rjDBQ1UDY[/YOUTUBE]

As far as the 'Jaco' worship, my take on it at least, is that it isn't exactly WHAT he played as much as the fact that he DID play it when others hadn't thought about it that way before. Much like Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and EVH brought new ways of thinking to electric guitar.

I always dug this one too (Weather Report's Black Market)

[YOUTUBE]AuAMSE_xck4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I would encourage any bass player to look beyond the obvious aspects of Jaco and his compositions, and focus instead on the incredible touch and phrasing on the bass that he had.

Pay close attention to his fretless intonation as well.

Listen to "Soul Intro/The Chicken" for a great example of how to make a fairly simple line pop and groove: listen CLOSELY to the quality of each note he plays, and how he varies the attack and decay in very musical ways to add life to the line.

Then ask yourself:

Am I performing at this level?

Can I make a simple line sing, by altering my phrasing and making every note count?

Then when you realize the truth, be sure and give Bassius a call for some lessons. :lol:

Archived