8 string basses?

zachoff

• Members

I respectfully disagree. I set one of these up for a friend of mine, and although it took a LOT of setup work, it ended up playing and sounding very nice.

Did it have any low end? The ones I've played didn't. VERY thin and trebly tone, right down to the low E.

The Dean Rogue killed it, flat out. It was even balanced, the Hamer? Not so much.

• Members

You can check out the difference in tone of the various makes of 12'vrs here:
http://www.12stringbass.net/

The tone of the 12s are very close to the tone of the 8's of the same manufacturer. It should provide a reasonable basis for comparison.

I've played all of the 8's, everyone here has mentioned, and the Waterstone 8 has the most balanced sound and the strongest bottom end. IMO

I think they're running ~ 8 beans with case.

• Members

Did it have any low end? The ones I've played didn't. VERY thin and trebly tone, right down to the low E.

The Dean Rogue killed it, flat out. It was even balanced, the Hamer? Not so much.

I never bothered to plug in the Schecter. I noodled around on it unplugged and never had the urge to plug it in.

• Moderators
Ok! I
wants
to plays it very much!
:love:

That thing looks killer!

How's it play/sound?

Well, it's a bit heavy, but the funny thing is that as a 4 stringer, it was neck heavy. After the conversion, I didn't notice it that much. I much prefer the tone of this one to some of the cheaper ones I've played with generic soapbars. It has a really nice, smooth bottom and a gritty top end. I was thinking if I could get up to the May Svi GTG, this might be the bass I bring.

• Members
...I was thinking if I could get up to the May Svi GTG, this might be the bass I bring.

Hopefully, you can make it. :thu:

I'll be there and will probably bring one of my 8's and the 12'ver along with one of my JTM45 kit builds!

Archived