8 string basses?

zachoff

• Members

Is Dean still making theirs?

Also: Good ol Rondo Music has the most interesting one to me

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb408.html

Interesting... Hmm. Didn't want to drop $800 on the Schecter, but $350 on this one seem better for sure. Huh. Thanks for the link. :thu:

Also, just saw that Dean is making theirs, but I generally like Dean less than Schecter, plus the Dean is a 34" and it seem 35" would be better in this application.

• Members

The original was also short scale, so this is historically correct.

yeah but those electronics on that thing sure are different...and, at least from looks, appear to be a huge improvement

...........granted, the guy from 10cc got a decent tone out of the original

• Members

If you're going to go longer than 34" scale, it's going to have a LOT of tension, so I'd recommend that it has one of the following:

1) dual truss rods

2) single truss rod with reinforcing bars

3) graphite neck

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes a 35" 8-string.

However, I don't think that 34" vs. 35" is going to make that much of a difference tonally, especially because most 8-string sets tend to be lighter gauge strings.

I say this even though the difference between 30/32" and 34" seems to be fairly significant, especially with some of the older Hags and Hamers.

• Members

Pickdust plays an 8 and a 12:

Yup!

I've got a 12 and two 8's from Waterstone. All very nice fit and finish. One of my 8's is at least 4 years old and is my primary bass. No issues with anything from Waterstone.

Very reasonably priced with case. Very good customer service. I ususally correspond with the owner Bob Singer.

If you have any particular questions PM me.

• Members

There's a shop in town here that has the Hagstrom 8 string. Lots of fun to play, and not hard at all learning curve-wise. I loved the 8 and 12 string models on the Line 6 Variax bass.

That said, can't you get 99% of the sound with a good octave pedal, and not have to worry about setup/repair/hassle of owning a specialty bass like this?

Or am I a big wet blanket? :)

• Members

Pickdust plays an 8 and a 12:
http://www.waterstoneguitars.com/bass.shtml

On the affordable side of things, I've heard these are the ones to get.

Played the Hamer, had no lows. Played the Dean, was actually pretty decent. Really want to try the Waterstones badly.

Amy from Clatter uses them too, that's a hefty endorsement right there. :thu:

Archived