Musicians that buy cheap gear

• Members

no one can tell me that 9 people out of 10 can tell the difference between me with a '74 LP through a Marshall Plexi from me with a Epiphone LP through a Fender HRD.

I'd probably go a little further and say 99 out of 100. In fact you're probably going to sound the same through my rig or through Eddie Van Halen's rig or through Eric Clapton's rig or......

Just like me, I'm going to play the way I do through any rig I try, in fact I went to guitar center last week and tried out a PRS custom through one of them reissue twin reverbs and amazingly.....it sounded like me!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my experience the single biggest contributor to tone on an electric is the
fingers. Pickups are a close second.

I agree, but you can't swap out your fingers (well, maybe with lessons...):thu:

Actually I'd say picking dynamics would be the close second....maybe that's in the "fingers" category too.

• Members

Ya know, for all the talk of cheap guitars and how they're "garbage" got me thinking...

Crap guitars are crap guitars - sometimes the wood is still "green" somewhere, sometimes too dry.

Sometimes there is overspray in the neck pocket, or the neck heel joint is not sanded smooth. Frets can be rough or even loose...

A savvy buyer knows that a guitar is an individual instrument - that INDIVIDUAL guitar needs to have the right fit, finish and tone.

Those instruments do exist - they must be sought ought and played - you'll know it when you find it cuz it'll sound right not plugged in.

You buy a cheapo sight unseen and you take your chances - unless that make/model has a solid rep for QC - which is happening more and more as companies are moving to C&C based machinery...

• Members

I guess I should have added...

e. are creatively and or cleverly using a cheap piece of gear causing a certain effect or tone that is desirable for the situation.

I was mainly refering to the people that say you can't tell any difference in quality or tone from a cheap piece of gear to a quality piece of gear. Epiphone to Gibson or a MIM to a good MIA Fender. QC issues aside, a good Gibson will eat a good Epiphone that is copying the same Gibson for breakfast. And if you deny that, you have one of the above listed issues. There is no arguing that.

Somebody mentioned something about a pod a few posts ago... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! A POD??? This is another prime example of what I am talking about. No offense to the pod users. It really is not your fault. Either you don't know any better or don't care about your tone as much as you think you do.

Edit to add that, as far as the pod is concerned, I am saying that they sound like garbage compared side to side against the original amplifier it is simulating, using the same guitar going through the same pa.

First off my moded MIM Fender strat has smoked the crap out of many MIA strats. You have to look to find quality. 2 MIA strats side by side in a store will sound and feel different on most occasions. The key is to find the best ones. I have a MIA strat also and my MIM strat sound much better.

Next as for the POD sure it does not sound like the real amp 100% but some people don't try to sound like a particular amp 100% Some of us use it for some effects and too add something to our signal chain. If you actualy took time to tweek it to your setup it sounds very good...but then again I don't think you would understand that.:rolleyes:

• Members

By the way, many of my clients use my POD and have never complained. I have also recieved many great complements on guitar sound and tone on CD's that had tracks that contained the POD.

But what would I know I only run a small studio that is very sucessful.

• Members

C&C can't do the job of a skilled luthier. However, it can do a large portion of the grunt work, thereby freeing the luthier to exercise his/her skills over a larger number of instruments. Increased production= lower costs.

• Members

Edit to add that, as far as the pod is concerned, I am saying that they sound like garbage compared side to side against the original amplifier it is simulating, using the same guitar going through the same pa.

I've tried "vegetarian burgers" and was not impressed with them as a meat substitute. But a funny thing happened once. I tried one but was unaware that it was supposed to be a meat substitute. If I don't see them as a meat substitute, but just as another "processed food", some of them are FANTASTIC.

• Members

If you actualy took time to tweek it to your setup it sounds very good...but then again I don't think you would understand that.
:rolleyes:

Truth.

My gtri'st gets a better tone out his POD setup, hands down, than many that use Mesa's and Marshall's.

It ain't the car - it's the driver:thu:

• Members

The POD presets suck bad, but if you setup the POD to fit your system (you may find the output on direct works better through your amp and other odd things). If you take time and work with the patches to fit your system it can really shine, especialy in front of a good tube amp!

• Members

Hmm never tried a vegi burger I liked...what was the name of the one mentioned that is good?

I dunno. It was based on {censored}ake mushrooms, which I REALLY like. It was an epiphany for me though. I have found all sorts of applications of that lesson, in musical gear, food, anything that I need to examine on it's own standalone merits.

Sometimes the copy can even be better than the original - but in a "different" way. Post-it notes use a glue that was originally "not sticky enough". Go figure.

• Members

The POD presets suck bad, but if you setup the POD to fit your system (you may find the output on direct works better through your amp and other odd things). If you take time and work with the patches to fit your system it can really shine, especialy in front of a good tube amp!

I have a Boss GT6B. Same thing applies there.

• Members

Yup.

To really get into it though you gotta use the Line6 Edit software (only for POD version 2.0)

You can dial in delay times in Milliseconds, you have full access to all parameters of chorus, flange, etc, 2 switchable drive channels, plus full control over cabinet type and A.I.R. (speaker emulation) levels.

The direct/amp switch is just bringing the A.I.R. in an out of the signal chain (in for direct, out for amp).

With the line6 Edit you can tweak the amount of A.I.R, which is really slick...

• Members

Hmm never tried a vegi burger I liked...what was the name of the one mentioned that is good?

Flame Grilled Boca Burgers are decent. It's not going to make you think you're eating a burger, but you can have one ready in under two minutes, compared to the time it takes to fire up the grill and cook a real burger.

• Members

Sometimes I just want to play guitar, not mess with 5k$ instruments & electronics. My favorite guitar is my beated up ibanez that goes with me everywhere. My tone is OK, I don't sound like a 2k$ marshall but I don't care. I can ear the difference between a microcube and a VHT, but i'm having as much fun playing the 'cube outside on a sunny day than a VHT in a music room.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Back to the original subject, which was cheap keyboards--I sort of had to learn the hard way. I used to gig with a $300 Yamaha that I got at Best Buy. I had it for three years. It was made of flimsy plastic, and really not an instrument for "gigging". Didn't even have weighted keys. Earlier this year, it malfunctioned right in the middle of a gig--none of the functions would work, it was leaking some kind of liquid--the thing lasted just long enough for me to finish the gig, then I had to toss it out to the garbage (and considering that electronic equipment is now said to be very harmful to the enviroment, I should've thought through my method of disposal a little better.) So if reliability is what your after, I say it pays to spend a little more for something durable.

I recently got a $600 Casio Privia digital piano, and it seems to be more solidly built, with more heavy duty material. I accidently dropped it once (not too far to the ground, but it did kinda make a thud), and it's still working great. It's still new, so only time will tell, but I think this one should last me a while. Sounds pretty good too.

But I don't share the opinion that more expensive means better sound--the gap has closed considerably between high and low end keyboards in terms of sound quality. I wish I still had my $300 Yamaha, because it had some sounds that were pretty damn impressive. Some I even prefer over my $600 Casio.

Really, if you play your instrument well, and make good music, who's gonna care how much you paid for it, or what brand it is? And if you're in a band, with a couple of guitarists, a drummer, bassist, back up singers, and what have you, is anybody gonna be able to tell if the nuances in the sustain of the piano patch you're using doesn't sound exactly like the real thing?

Also, this is only my personal preference, as I know a lot of people won't agree, but I don't necessarily like a piano sound that is super-realistic. I like it just realistic enough that you can tell it's a piano, and can cut through, as well as blend in well with other instruments, but has enough of a sonic stamp that it can contribute, along with my playing style, to my own unique "sound". Can't really do that with a piano that sounds like any other piano. But I realize this is just my own personal opinion. Most people just want a realistic-sounding piano.

• Members

Also, this is only my personal preference, as I know a lot of people won't agree, but I don't necessarily like a piano sound that is super-realistic. I like it just realistic enough that you can tell it's a piano, and can cut through, as well as blend in well with other instruments, but has enough of a sonic stamp that it can contribute, along with my playing style, to my own unique "sound". Can't really do that with a piano that sounds like any other piano. But I realize this is just my own personal opinion. Most people just want a realistic-sounding piano.

So, apparently you don't do much Chopin at your gigs? :p

• Members

whole foods' bulk veggie burger (I think the supplier recently stopped stocking WF bulk, but it's still avail boxed...so you can just ask there)

mixed about 50/50 with falafel an be really good

I recommend putting in some veggies directly in the burger mix...red Fresno peppers can be good (soy sauce) sauted mushrooms (criminis are fine, your various species of Oyster shroom is good -- I'm in Seattle so we can cultivate them here) and little garlic and white pepper can be nice

A little white wine either as part of the moisture or as part of the cooking can also be good

The wonderful thing is they freeze well, so you can make a bunch and pull them as-needed

for pan work, I think a slightly "wet" cook on a lower heat is good (it can be common to try to sear them or o a "shock" cook on em -- that tends to leave them blackened on the outside and not fully tender on the inside)

that's not to say you can't brown/crisp the outside, just that seaing techniques sometimes arent great for these

the premade freezer pucks you see folks nuke and such...hey, those are the "steak ums" of veggie burger ,what can we expect?!?

Archived