Musicians that buy cheap gear

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about a little context then...

The "luxury" of "trying out" other women - what, are they cars????

Like I said, shallow and materialistic...

Or this:

Or this:

Sounds materialistic to me.

It is. Very. None of the analogies work either.

• Members

We all have our opinions. No one is (likely) gonna post something on the internet that will change that.

The people who get frustrated and start beating their heads against the wall over someone like myself should probably step away from the keyboard and realize that there is nothing I can say (let me rephrase that: nothing I have said in this thread) that is worthy of giving you heartburn.

Dang, I was just applying fresh bandages to my forehead too!

• Members

We all have our opinions. No one is (likely) gonna post something on the internet that will change that.

The people who get frustrated and start beating their heads against the wall over someone like myself should probably step away from the keyboard and realize that there is nothing I can say (let me rephrase that: nothing I have said in this thread) that is worthy of giving you heartburn.

I wasn't referring to you at all. My views aren't in line with either of yours, but somewhere in between. But yea, the interweb requires some thick skin. Just take it as one guy's opinion and move on.

• Members

Not to bust your balls or anything...

You've decided that I'm pathetic, have self esteem issues, am shallow and misogynistic, all in just a few posts, hell, you've downright called me names (ya big 'ol meanie) all because I dont share your view on bargain basement instruments.

I never called you pathetic. I said your view is pathetic:

Better hope your G/F doesn't see this - it's obvious you view women as property to be used to your liking. What a shallow and pathetic view...

And here - I don't call YOU insecure, I say that your ACTIONS and views will be perceived BY OTHERS as insecure.

Why? Why do you care what other people think? That's a sign of insecurity on your part.

Oh the horror! what would they think? Do you realize how pathetic and small this makes you look?

I'd be bummed that I never had the luxory of trying out *several* of them over the years to find what I wanted most out of "her".

What is this, if not misogynistic?

I'm the snob who takes pride in the purchases I make because, like I mentioned earlier, I learned a LONG time ago that just because you can afford only the bottom of the barrel RIGHT NOW, doesnt mean you should buy right now...

And there's your shallow right there.

It's all good - I don't get worked up at all - I just call em like I seez em.

Besides, your the one coming in here looking down your high and mighty nose at those of us that don't use top flight gear - you insult one of the best musos on this board (BlueStrat) - what the hell did you expect?

• Members

Besides, your the one coming in here looking down your high and mighty nose at those of us that don't use top flight gear - you insult one of the best musos on this board (BlueStrat) - what the hell did you expect?

Did I insult someone? Or do you feel compelled to "stick up" for someone because some bully (I'm assuming thats me) dared to say BOO to someone held in high esteem on the board? (for the record, I dont know who the cool kids are yet. Maybe you can direct me to a thread that has a list of names who I should stay far away from unless I have some ass kissing to take care of.)

I just commented on this thread in a view that was/is clearly in the minority and dont feel the need to say, "oh you guys are right, I'm stupid and spend way too much money on gear when I could play the same guitar I've had since I was 14".

• Members

Did I insult someone? Or do you feel compelled to "stick up" for someone because some bully (I'm assuming thats me) dared to say BOO to someone held in high esteem on the board? (for the record, I dont know who the cool kids are yet. Maybe you can direct me to a thread that has a list of names who I should stay far away from unless I have some ass kissing to take care of.)

:)

To use an old quote: "I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid."

And I aint kidding. When I was in my twenties, that is exactly the kind of thing I would have said.

• Members

:)

To use an old quote: "I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid."

And I aint kidding. When I was in my twenties, that is exactly the kind of thing I would have said.

Yikes!

38 as of last Tuesday. :wave:

(I've got some growing up to do!!)

• Members

Yikes!

38 as of last Tuesday.
:wave:

Naw, by the time I was your age, I still said it, I had just refined it. Once I hit my 50's I sort of went into cantankerous mode. I just don't care.

Fortunately, I am always right so this sort of thing is never an issue.

• Members

Yikes!

38 as of last Tuesday.
:wave:

When I turned twenty, it was comical to me how little ten year olds knew.

When I turned thirty, it was comical to me how little twenty year olds knew.

When I turned forty, it was comical to me how little thirty year olds knew.

When I turned fifty, I wondered if sixty year olds thought I was comical.

• Members

Or do you feel compelled to "stick up" for someone because some bully (I'm assuming thats me) dared to say BOO to someone held in high esteem on the board?

Na - not really - but it was obvious you hadn't even listened to what the cat can do musically; you keep talking about gear - what good is gear if you can't play it?

Strat can play - you might not like his tunes or style but he is a musician.

It's a credibility thing - where are your tunes?

I just commented on this thread in a view that was/is clearly in the minority and dont feel the need to say, "oh you guys are right, I'm stupid and spend way too much money on gear when I could play the same guitar I've had since I was 14".

All well and good - like I said, it's a credibility thing - where are your tunes?

This is a band forum - not a musical instrument collectors forum.

• Members

Agreed. That was a poor analogy. I was trying to tie it all back in, but that one is a weak argument. If I wailed on that Striker I'm sure I'd be the only one who'd care that it sucked ass. You're correct with that one, my friend.

Your response above changes everything. Sometimes all I look for in people is a willingness to "give" when they think it is prudent. My impression of you changed drastically with that one.

Man, you really DO remind me of me when I was younger. Am I in some sort of time warp. What year is it? It is 2021 isn't it?

• Members

... I think its just an overall vibe I get when someone shows up with crap. I see it as a reflection on the type of musician they are. ...

Why not judge by how they play and how they sound? I'm very fortunate to own some expensive gear, but I also know a lot of GOOD broke-ass musicians who make their lo-dollar rigs sound really good.

OTOH, I know a few cork-sniffers who haven't figured out that the Gibson "custom shop" has those poor bastards cranking out 20 guitars a day -- each! I'm sure they make some great stuff, but let's face it -- they're production guitars. A certain pecentage of them are bowsers because Gibson gave up QC when they left Kalamazoo. Makes me wonder what the speed is on the line at the other end of the plant.

And some guy with more liquidity than ears will spend 2 grand on the plank.

• Members

Here's an interesting contrast in instruments;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vdJvHE8qxA&mode=related&search=

Victor Wooten is playing his $8000 Fodera, and his brother Reggie is playing a $179 Squire. You can't see it so clearly on the You Tube link, but on the DVD, the pullback shot that occurs at 3:30 very clearly shows the Squire logo. By the way, on the DVD, this sequence occurs shortly after Victor gives credit to his brother for teaching him how to slap and double thumb.

Yeh - i've seen this DVD and yes it is a Squire. Obviously Reggie would sound and play *way* better if that was a $4000 PRS he was playing... such a shame that he's too ignorant, stupid and cloth eared to realise it. :D

• Members

Your response above changes everything. Sometimes all I look for in people is a willingness to "give" when they think it is prudent. My impression of you changed drastically with that one.

Man, you really DO remind me of me when I was younger. Am I in some sort of time warp. What year is it? It
is
2021 isn't it?

Ha.

Well, I'm always looking to upgrade my bass player too, so if you can jam on some Tool...

Kidding.

In my life I try VERY hard to never be a hyporite. Part of that is reflecting on issues BEFORE I speak so that I can be sure that I wont make myself a hypocrite, even if no one else would know.

Along those same lines I do try to listen to both sides of an argument and cant ever see myself not honoring a point or take that I hadnt considered, as long as that take makes sense.

Truth be told everyone on this thread is 100% correct. There can be some damn serviceable instruments had these days for not a lot of cash. I'm very fortunate that I've been able to upgrade year after year, but something tells me that if I werent so lucky I would be playing gear that I could afford, and doing what I could to take care of it (and heaven forbid, UPGRADE it along the way :p ).

I think it was my second or third post in this thread where I admitted my bias was most likely based on my personal experience with musicians who had other priorities in regards to their equipment. The rest of these posts till now were more to get some juices flowing. I like to banter and (attempt) to be witty if possible. Sometimes that comes across in ways that arent inteded because I tend to leave a LOT of the little emoticons out of my typing and leave the interpretation open for the reader to decide whats a joke and what is just plain... mean?

Hopefully we'll all learn a bit more about each other and we'll have some more fun along the way.

Sure beats the hell out of working all day...

• Members

He's probably worried that if he had a proper guitar, he'd sound and play so much better that poor Victor would just end up looking foolish...

I dunno...regardless of the guitar, Reggie's still pretty goofy looking :eek:

Archived