Musicians that buy cheap gear

• Members

The Peavey Bandit is a great amp and it is highly underated. I still use the original patent pending model and I always get good compliments. My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy (I am going to test a HUSH pedal with it soon to see if it helps). Peavey makes great products for the price!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a friend that plays guitar in a metal band. Onstage he has two Marshall full stacks, complete with plexiglass sound control barriers, and miced. But they are completely empty. The only functional thing about them is the pilot lights on the heads. They're battery operated. The heads and cabs are completely empty. His sound comes from a couple of Peavey Bandit's offstage. The bass player has an Ampeg SVT with two 8x10 cabs, also totally empty. He is DI'd. The stage props allow them to get the "image" for the gigs, and still keep a low stage volume, and lightweight load in/out.

By the way can you send me a full size pic of your avatar (I love it)!

• Members

By the way can you send me a full size pic of your avatar (I love it)!

Sure. I have a 700x525 version of it, I have no idea where I found it. Send an email to my username at gmail and I will send it via reply in a bit. I have to go to work now, but I will send it after.

• Members

I think that, for the most part, people that use real cheap gear and say it sounds just as good as the more expensive gear are either a. deaf b. not experienced enough to know what the difference is c. not serious enough about their sound or d. just can't afford the better stuff. Anybody that says a cheap strat copy plays and sounds just as good as a custom shop strat, for example, is just wrong.

• Members

Not true, I have 10 guitars some cheap some expensive. I have played and owned hundreds, sometimes a cheap one plays great and has great tone. There is good and bad in every bunch. People with a lot of experience usualy know this.

• Members

Not true, I have 10 guitars some cheap some expensive. I have played and owned hundreds, sometimes a cheap one plays great and has great tone. There is good and bad in every bunch. People with a lot of experience usualy know this.

Mine too; more often than not the cheapo will have issues cuz the QC is lacking...

That's why I always recommend playing any cheapo before buying - a custom shop Fender you can order from a catalog sight unseen and know you'll get a good one.

THat's the real difference in a nutshell, all other things being equal (body wood, pickups, neck composition)

• Members

I think that, for the most part, people that use real cheap gear and say it sounds just as good as the more expensive gear are either a. deaf b. not experienced enough to know what the difference is c. not serious enough about their sound or d. just can't afford the better stuff. Anybody that says a cheap strat copy plays and sounds just as good as a custom shop strat, for example, is just wrong.

Tell that to Billy Gibbons. He uses anything with strings and pickups. If it sounds good, it sounds good, regardless of it's consrtruction or price tag.

I had all kinds of people ask me how I got that guitar sound on a couple of songs on my second CD. I had to tell them the truth: a strat knockoff through a 200 dollar Fender Princeton 112 Plus SS amp.

My last CD I used 6 guitars and 4 amps, some expensive and some as cheap as they come. No one has been able to tell which is which so far.

• Members

I rock harder with my OLP MM1 than some peoples dads did while Conceiving them with their Mommies!

So does our guitarist - his OLP through a POD and Yamaha Natural Sound Power Amp can put a lot of "big name" rigs to shame sonically.

Those zebra pickups rock...

• Members

So does our guitarist - his OLP through a POD and Yamaha Natural Sound Power Amp can put a lot of "big name" rigs to shame sonically.

Those zebra pickups rock...

+1,000

An EBMM Axis is my main gig instrument and an OLP copy is a backup. (Can you say "String change on a #$^&(@ Floyd Rose bridge?)

Although the Music Man is clearly a better instrument in terms of materials, it's hard to believe there's $1,000 difference in price since they play and sound so similar. And I haven;t modified it a bit.

I also have an $82 Tele copy that I put $250 worth of pro setup into, (Fret level, GFS pups, coil tap, etc.) and it plays and sounds better than a lot of hi-dollar Teles I've tried.

• Members

I have a Peavey 6505+ en route. It's new. For the same cost, I could've gotten a used Marshall; for much more, I could've gotten a Mesa or Bogner or whatever. But the new price I paid was about teh same as used on ebay, so I went with new, giving me a 5 yr warranty.

anyway...playing gigs, I need a tube amp, esp for hard rock. SS and modelers sound very harsh to me (except the cleans) at high volumes.

but I have a 2x12 cab I got for $150. I'm likely going to use my MIM fat strat onstage instead of my LP...I don't care if someone throws beer on the strat. And no one will eye my simple black strat and think of stealing it.

so, it's a mix of cheap and not-cheap gear for me!

• Members

I guess I should have added...

e. are creatively and or cleverly using a cheap piece of gear causing a certain effect or tone that is desirable for the situation.

I was mainly refering to the people that say you can't tell any difference in quality or tone from a cheap piece of gear to a quality piece of gear. Epiphone to Gibson or a MIM to a good MIA Fender. QC issues aside, a good Gibson will eat a good Epiphone that is copying the same Gibson for breakfast. And if you deny that, you have one of the above listed issues. There is no arguing that.

Somebody mentioned something about a pod a few posts ago... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! A POD??? This is another prime example of what I am talking about. No offense to the pod users. It really is not your fault. Either you don't know any better or don't care about your tone as much as you think you do.

Edit to add that, as far as the pod is concerned, I am saying that they sound like garbage compared side to side against the original amplifier it is simulating, using the same guitar going through the same pa.

• Members

Yep, we're all idiots. I started a year ago with an esteban guitar. I can't tell the difference between quality audio and a monkey banging on a tin can. I'm just a dunce for thinking some cheap gear can be good. :rolleyes:

When I was younger all I did was work and buy top of the line gear. I spent so much time and money buying, selling, trading and trying out gear from the local music store the owner found it easier to have me to write up my own receipts. (Hint for youngsters: That's a sign you're spending too much time and money in the music store)

You know what I've found after spending all that money? A properly set up OLP mm1 will kick the crap out of my horribly expensive Les Paul that everyone drooled over. The neck pickup on clean is smoother and fuller than the LP, the bridge pickup just flat out kicks the ass of the LP for rock, and the feel of the OLP's neck better than any guitar I've ever owned or played, period.

I had to baby my expensive guitars. In today's dollars, I paid usually from $1000 to $2500 for them. I hated every single scratch and ding. In between playing, I kept my Les Paul in its plush little case and away in the closet because I was terrified that anything would happen to it. The OLP? If it fell off the stand, I'd say "oops" instead of swearing up a storm.

The end product is all that matters, not the brand name or the price tag on your gear. Don't know why some people either can't understand or accept that.

• Members

The end product is all that matters, not the brand name or the price tag on your gear. Don't know why some people either can't understand or accept that.

Some people are just gear snobs. Some just have tiny peeners.

• Members

I personally have no problem with inexpensive or "cheap" gear. Everyone's budget is different, and even working pros who have kids and a mortgage may find it difficult to spend thousands, even hundreds, on higher-end gear.

However: I have a HUGE problem with poorly maintained gear, of any price point. There is no excuse to go into a gig, and have a guitar that has a faulty input jack, or an amp that works when it wants to, or a guitar that can't and won't stay in tune.

I judge musicians by how well they maintain what they have. Beat the crap out of it, abuse it all you like, but make sure that it works reliably for the next gig.

I think that the problem with inexpensive gear is that it generally fails at a much faster and frequent rate than stuff that's a notch or two above in cost...still, though: these things can be fixed pretty easily. How much money does it take to put in a good nut, new pots and switches, and a set of halfway decent pickups and tuners in a cheap guitar to make it gig ready? Not much...

• Members

What's the deal with musicians that buy cheap gear? I see this a lot especially with people that can afford it. You would think people would want to put their best foot forward but often they don't. Then you get them always fixing gear, sounds like {censored}, or it is in the shop, or they are trying to tune constantly on stage.

Bottom line is, if you know what you're doing, you can set-up a cheap instrument to play well, and if you can play well you'll sound good on any servicable instrument. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a snob IMHO.

For the record I own a mix of guitars ranging in value from

• Members

Either you don't know any better or don't care about your tone as much as you think you do.

Whatever you say man - our gtr'st has used a POD on recordings with world class players like George Lynch and Jake E. Lee - his tone works just fine both live and in the stage.

Most of your "tone" comes from how you play anyway - a poor carpenter blames his tools.

• Members

I guess I should have added...

e. are creatively and or cleverly using a cheap piece of gear causing a certain effect or tone that is desirable for the situation.

I was mainly refering to the people that say you can't tell any difference in quality or tone from a cheap piece of gear to a quality piece of gear. Epiphone to Gibson or a MIM to a good MIA Fender. QC issues aside, a good Gibson will eat a good Epiphone that is copying the same Gibson for breakfast. And if you deny that, you have one of the above listed issues. There is no arguing that.

Somebody mentioned something about a pod a few posts ago... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! A POD??? This is another prime example of what I am talking about. No offense to the pod users. It really is not your fault. Either you don't know any better or don't care about your tone as much as you think you do.

Edit to add that, as far as the pod is concerned, I am saying that they sound like garbage compared side to side against the original amplifier it is simulating, using the same guitar going through the same pa.

Jayzus, man. How's the air up there in Elitistville? :rolleyes:

What, the hole you dug yourself in the first time wasn't deep enough for you?

But hey, thanks for telling us all what sounds better than what. I wonder if the folks who keep hiring me know that I'm both stupid and deaf?

• Members

Actually, and i know people are going to go beserk over this - the guitar you play is almost irrelevant to the tone compared to the gauge of strings, the pickups, the amplifier, the effects and the person playing it. An expensive guitar will look nicer, feel nicer, have greater attention to detail, it might have a much better factory setup, it might be better made/last longer/be more reliable... but it won't *sound* a whole heap better than a mid-range guitar with similar standard pickups in it.

The electric guitar isn't that complicated - we're not talking acoustics here - it's a solid slab of wood. Do you *really* think it matters a huge amount whether that slab of wood is one peice, 2 peice, 3 peice, nitro-finished etc. etc. or whether the flame maple top is a "10". Past

• Members

Actually, and i know people are going to go beserk over this - the guitar you play is almost irrelevant to the tone compared to the gauge of strings, the pickups, the amplifier, the effects and the person playing it. An expensive guitar will look nicer, feel nicer, have greater attention to detail, it might have a much better factory setup, it might be better made/last longer/be more reliable... but it won't *sound* a whole heap better than a mid-range guitar with similar standard pickups in it.

The electric guitar isn't that complicated - we're not talking acoustics here - it's a solid slab of wood. Do you *really* think it matters a huge amount whether that slab of wood is one peice, 2 peice, 3 peice, nitro-finished etc. etc. or whether the flame maple top is a "10". Past

• Members

Jayzus, man. How's the air up there in Elitistville?
:rolleyes:
What, the hole you dug yourself in the first time wasn't deep enough for you?

But hey, thanks for telling us all what sounds better than what. I wonder if the folks who keep hiring me know that I'm both stupid and deaf?

No doubt.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy though; if someone is convinced that a particular setup can't possibly be made to sound good then it won't.

And I'll throw a little fuel on the fire myself and point out that many, if not most, of the musicians I have met that are constantly flogging the "tone" horse are IMO just not very good players and are blaming their rigs on their own shortcomings. Dynamics, Daniel-san, dynamics...:lol:

• Members

Actually, and i know people are going to go beserk over this - the guitar you play is almost irrelevant to the tone compared to the gauge of strings, the pickups, the amplifier, the effects and the person playing it.

+10000.

In my experience the single biggest contributor to tone on an electric is the pickups.

Or let's just say that changing the pickups can radically alter the sound of the instrument for not a lot of money or time.

Archived