Do you older guys (like me) listen to new music?

• Members

46 here. My 16 year old daughter and I have a lot the same taste in music, she's always stealing my Our Lady Peace and Tool albums.......the girl likes to rock!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the only REALLY GOOD music is stuff from the 70's:blah:
:blah:
....GIVE ME A BREAK! Get your head out of your time warped arse and LISTEN. You are remembering a special time in your life and the music brings back those feelings, but that has nothing to do with entertaining an audience, or the quality of the music.

As to only learning songs that you can play in 3 years,
:confused:
you must be a doctor and your time is worth $200 an hour or something to be THAT concerned about saving a 4 minute song forever.

And bottom line, there was a lot of crap in the 70's as well. Remember Muskrat Love? I was there man, some stuff was AWFUL, and the 80's were even worse!

There is a lot of great music currently on the radio. Myself, I switch between a classic rock station that plays new stuff in the rock genre, a new rock station, and another classic rock station that plays only old stuff. Plus when my lovely wife is in the car she's jumping between at least 2 and often 4 new and classic country stations.

There is crap for sure, but I am constantly impressed with stuff coming out right now. Even some tunes in heavy rotation are well crafted and well recorded. Are they 'timeless"? Probably not. Are they Muskrat Love or My Sharona? No, not that either.

I am also impressed with other genres, some new country, some rap, there are some true musicians there too, not just gang bangers with mics. Not my genres, but ya gotta respect the good stuff.

As to old fart musicans who only want to learn the old stuff: I can't stand that.

My problem is I get lumped in with other guys my age, and THEY all want to play China Grove and Give Me Two Steps and blues and old Motown classics, and I want to mix it up with some classic rock and a mess of new tunes. I am the oldest guy in my current band by 15 years, and I am usually the one suggesting new tunes.

Sure, some of the new tunes will be dead in a year, but even "timeless classics" are often hits, disappear off the radar, and then come back. In the late 80's no one was playing Led Zep or Hendrix on the radio, yet those tunes are now "timeless classics" and you hear them frequently.

I think any working musician has to be up for a constantly changing repetoire, that will keep them fresh and entertain an audience, unless you are original with a large back catalogue, or playing a specific sub genre, or a tribute band. Expect to have to customize your list to the area, the type of event, even the time of year!

So, I'm down for LOTS of new music, and anyone that is not is just reliving lost youth, not living the NOW.

Cheers!

Great! Can i join your band?!?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

46 here. My 16 year old daughter and I have a lot the same taste in music, she's always stealing my Our Lady Peace and Tool albums.......the girl likes to rock!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the only REALLY GOOD music is stuff from the 70's:blah:
:blah:
....GIVE ME A BREAK! Get your head out of your time warped arse and LISTEN. You are remembering a special time in your life and the music brings back those feelings, but that has nothing to do with entertaining an audience, or the quality of the music.

As to only learning songs that you can play in 3 years,
:confused:
you must be a doctor and your time is worth $200 an hour or something to be THAT concerned about saving a 4 minute song forever. ...blah blah.....snip.....

So, I'm down for LOTS of new music, and anyone that is not is just reliving lost youth, not living the NOW.

Cheers!

Good for you, Im happy for you :rolleyes:.....obviously you just read the parts of my post that ya wanted to and missed the part how I said that theres plenty of good new music out there, its just most of its not mainstream. All I said is that a lot of it doesn't have "staying power"..... For my personal tastes (which gravitate towards pop), theres great new pop coming from bands like OK Go, The Sun, Phoenix, Spill Canvas, Click 5, and Maroon 5 in the past few years but with the exception of OK Go and Maroon 5, the general public hasn't heard a lot of these bands.........and most of the stuff I like is from indie artists, such as Spock's Beard as well as a plethotra of young MySpace bands

You also missed the part where I said Im a fulltime musician, and not a $200 hr Doctor (WTF?). I reiterate: I play bass and sing for a living - as in its my job - and has been since 1983. So theres a lot of things us "jobbers" know and will do that "hobbyists" don't just from our experience of playing to pay the bills and keep families fed as modus operandi, as opposed to playing music primarily because its fun.. The entire approach to a "fulltimer" is making sure the paycheck keeps coming in, and there will be nuiances of band business and ethics that we follow that the hobbyist player doesn't generally do because they are not worried about paying bills with gig money because they have another job that does that. Ive learned this over many years as a fill-in for bands composed of "hobbyist" players to keep my calendar full....Thats not a snooty reponse, its just a fact: its something Ive ( and other fulltimers) have learned over the years. Getting mileage from song choices is one of those....

..and if you think Im a closed-minded "rock guy", my main money-making act has rap and booty-music in its repetoire. As a matter of fact, you made my point: Ive been doing "Hot In Heere" by Nelly for four years and it still packs a dancefloor as much as it did four years ago and I dont see that impact slowing down anytime soon...now, thats what I call mileage!...and Id rather do that song than some newer tune I may personally like but is gonna sit with the audience like a turd in a punchbowl

........ With that said, You are entited to your opinion and Im entitled to mine.

• Members

I will admit, I am a recovered music "bigot".

When I was younger (teen years) I ran with a crowd of throwback hippie types, and our mantra was pretty much "If they are still alive, they suck" :D

Well, not in so many words but that was the intent. I got roped into thinking that all the great music had already been written and nothing new could ever come along to change that.

Somewhere along the way I realized it was a pretty narrowminded outlook and now I am much more open to new music. I will be 40 in July and my musical taste is all OVER the place; I no longer pigeon hole music, if it is pleasing to my ears, I like it. Doesnt matter if it's old or new, anceint or trendy.

Period.

:p

So I guess my answer would be yes, I listen to new music.

• Members

I'm 48.....
:cry:

I don't listen to new music radio too often, but when I hear a tune I like, I'll check out the artist on line. If it's just one song that I enjoy, I'll download it via iTunes, If the sound is unique though, I'll buy the CD. So, I suppose my answer is - I generally listen to older stuff, but I try and keep an open mind.

I'm a long time subscriber to Rolling Stone and a few other music rags and they turn me on to new artists every now and again as well.

+1 - I try to listen to Faction and Disorder on Sirius to hear these new bands. I was shocked when I picked up my 11 year old son's iPod and saw his most frequently played list reads exactly like a greatest hits of the 70s - Stairway, Freebird, Train Kept a Rollin', Dream On...maybe I need to clue him in on new stuff...

• Members

I think what it comes down to is music goes in cycles. You have a revolving magic 50 or 60 songs that bands cover. The list gets stale , bands either go forward looking for material or backward looking for material.

I remember when johnny B Good and Roll Over Beethoven, and johnny rivers stuff , ventures and all that stuff dropped off the lists ,, and we moved forward. I also remember when sha na na made hits out of really old rock songs from the roots of rock and roll. I heard a band playing gloria and satisfaction and house of the rising sun ,, when i was in texas a year ago. Man that stuff was worn out when i was in high school. They are playing those old songs all over the valley and are dong pretty good with the crowds. That was all garage band music when i was young. I played it in bands and cut it out of the song lists to move on to newer stuff. It was worn out. Today It seems to be alive and well down in the valley as the retired winter texans go out to the local watering holes to soak their old bones in a few adult beverages. {censored} who knows why songs work. I think the thing you want to do is get off the standard 50 songs that are worn out and go forward or backward looking for material that will work. I have been talking set lists with some musical friends that i have reciently met. The only thing i know is there is over 50 years of rock and roll out there to pick from and i think they run in 10 year cycles. I guess get off the stale stuff and try to sell somthing new or old ... and make it work for you.

I will agree that we have alot of tired old worn out bar band songs ,, that are due to drop off the list. If you go foward or revive older stuff that went stale .... it will both work. Demographics and wallet size is a factor you dont wanna ingore. If you play the music that the guy writing the check for the corp or festival grew up on , the check is going to be bigger. If you slug it out in the bars on the worn thin covers ,,, your wages will be limitied. If you forge ahead i question if there is that big a market to really haul down the good money. Wedding bands make good money because they can entertain 30 to 60 year olds with dance music. While it may be the 20 sumthings getting married ... its typically the 40 and up crowd that are writing those big checks for the live band. I guess thats why DJs are so popular ,, they can play it all.

• Members

Dinosaur, 43, can't stand commercials, so I''m not hearing new music on the radio. And I haven't bothered to get into music on my computer.

There's already a ton of songs I'd like to learn if I had the time ...

• Members

I'm an older guy I guess... just turned 60. I don't listen to radio as much as when I was younger, but I often listen to new stuff, and I think a lot of it is really good. A couple of faves from the last few months... and this is just top 40 radio, nothing obscure: "Crazy"- Gnarls Barkley, and "Fix You"- Coldplay (this one is a gorgeous ballad that's as good or better than any so-called "classic" from my generation).

I think we're starting to see some classics emerge from the last few years. Songs like "Lightning Crashes" (Live), "3 AM" (Matchbox 20), and "Famliy Affair" (Mary J. Blige), and plenty of others. The 1970s was not the end of great music...not by a long shot. You'll notice that my picks are reflective of my generation though. The real classics of today may not be apparent until us old guys are all dead and outa here.

• Members

I'm turning 40 this year and am definitely the oldest guy in my band. I started playing in the 80's, took some time away from music and got back into it about 5-5 years ago.

I'm so over hearing bar bands play the same old crap songs just because they get a reaction. I like all kinds of music and am always looking for new stuff to play. I am well aquainted with the concept of "live jukebox" and "keep the dance floor packed" mentality.

Our attitude is why play tired songs that everyone else does if you can play a newer song and get the same reaction.

Why play "Brick House" when you can play the Chili Peppers? Why play "Mustang Sally" when you can play Sublime?

I say this because we aim our show at the younger club-goer in their 20's who plans to be out until after last call. Hell, all my "older" friends are in bed by midnight, so why play songs they like? LOL!

We definitely try to pick stuff that is pretty proven... Lots of Matchbox 20, Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, Weezer, 311, Incubus, STP, Tonic, U2 etc. We stay with mostly "90's to now" modern rock and it goes over great!

Mainly, you just have to decide what you want to play and who your target audience is. Then make sure you book venues that are a good fit!

• Members

I'll be 40 in a few months, but definitely feel as if my musical tastes are a bit more "mature" than many of my age - lots of Soul, R&B, jazz, blues, classic and alt rock, roots, reggae/world music etc on my iPod and in my CD collection. Not much Pearl Jam -> Maroon 5'ish type stuff, and very little Rap, save some old De La Soul etc.

That being said, I'm always keeping an ear out for new music that revs me up. I'm pretty open minded about music - I don't typically bias before listening. If it has a good groove, taps into an emotion or otherwise gets my foot tapping, I'm down with it.

I will say thet very little of the top 40 rock these days does this for me. My new music is more on the tip of bands who are experimenting a bit or giving a new take on the genres that I like. Bands/acts like Wilco/Sun Volt, Cat Empire, Shins, Ray LaMontagne, Kings of Leon, even Lily Allen I dig and now own.

But I kind of like the tangent topic this thread has spawned - i.e. the whole debate between playing what the crowd wants to hear vs. what the band wants to play. This a constant dilemma for my band, who can get caught playing jam/roots rock type stuff a bit too often cuz we enjoy playing it. We definately need more butt shakers in our sets, but don't necessarily want to regurgitate the old faithfuls (BrownEyedSallyAlabamaFunkyWhiteBoyMustangBrickHouse) even though we could do them well.

• Members

I'm 52. Some of the newer stuff I've been checking out would be the Rebirth Brass Band, Donna the Buffalo, and my daughter got me Modern Times by Bob Dylan. Good stuff.

A friend of mine a few years ago loaned me a cassette he had of an interesting jam session. We ended up burning it to a CD.

It was Bob Dylan and Johny Cash dueting each others stuff (and some covers) in some studio and they were obviously having fun.

• Members

I am 38, and I find that most music nowadays is recycled crap. There is little originality, and none of these new tunes has the staying power that songs did back in the day (from the 1960's-1980's). So I listen to older music, unless it's from a musician that I really admire, like Prince.

• Members

I am 38, and I find that most music nowadays is recycled crap. There is little originality, and none of these new tunes has the staying power that songs did back in the day (from the 1960's-1980's). So I listen to older music, unless it's from a musician that I really admire, like Prince.

I actually like Devo, some blondie, and some Talking heads. I really enjoyed early B-52's and still like to listen to their stuff.

Meanwhile, this has been Quadraphenia week on my commute.

Heck, I was listening to some Cold Blood on vinyl last week. She does the best rendition of "I Just Want to Make Love to You" I've ever heard. The band wails in a pre-Tower of Power way.

And what about Squirel Nut Zippers?

• Members

One thing no one really hit on is that for many of us we are good at our instruments and play them well. Deep down there may be a little rentment towards the newer musicians because let's face it, they are not as talented as half the guys here that have sweated it out in the clubs and bars for years. I am not saying you have to be a great musician to put out a great song but 90% of the time the newer stuff is put out by a lot of inconsequential bands and musicians.

• Members

I am not saying you have to be a great musician to put out a great song but 90% of the time the newer stuff is put out by a lot of inconsequential bands and musicians.

Well there definitely seems to be a "dumbing down" process in mainstream music.

I blame the trends:

Rap: no vocal melody or live band needed

Nu Metal: drop D one finger chugga chugga chords, lame or no guitar solos (Korns "Another Brick In the Wall" - that solo is so poorly played I laugh everytime I hear it - {censored} I could dust that guy 20 years ago, and gtr is not even my main instrument)

Pop: Female singer, synth washes, all played over more drop-tuned moronic drivel.

Country: Cliche'd lyrics, squeaky clean production, fake country accents (Dierks Bentley?)

I don't blame the players or the bands - I blame the formulaic trends which feed right into the publics seemingly insatiable appetite for video.

In our fast paced world, it seems people have lost the ability to just sit still and listen and be moved by sound.

I think it'll take another Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder type of cat to come along and blow the doors open with musicality; teach people that there is joy in just tuning out and LISTENING.

I'm so sick of the video and image aspect of todays music...

• Members

I actually like Devo, some blondie, and some Talking heads. I really enjoyed early B-52's and still like to listen to their stuff.

Meanwhile, this has been Quadraphenia week on my commute.

Heck, I was listening to some Cold Blood on vinyl last week. She does the best rendition of "I Just Want to Make Love to You" I've ever heard. The band wails in a pre-Tower of Power way.

And what about Squirel Nut Zippers?

I have that Cold Blood album. They and Stoneground were the hot area acts that we were surprised didn't get bigger. Do you ever travel to the St. Louis area? Lydia Pense was the singer IIRC.

• Members

A friend of mine a few years ago loaned me a cassette he had of an interesting jam session. We ended up burning it to a CD.

It was Bob Dylan and Johny Cash dueting each others stuff (and some covers) in some studio and they were obviously having fun.

I'd probably like that. Have you heard Run C&W? Motown hits Bluegrass style, it's killer and the group included Bernie Leadon the ex-Eagle and a guy from Dr. Hook. Funny thing is that Bluegrass and Motown lyrics are quite similar in a lot of ways. The people that played both styles left the South for work in the northern factories and wrote songs about it. Bernie Leadon plays a smokin' electric Banjo on Walkin' the Dog.

• Members

I'd probably like that. Have you heard Run C&W? Motown hits Bluegrass style, it's killer and the group included Bernie Leadon the ex-Eagle and a guy from Dr. Hook. Funny thing is that Bluegrass and Motown lyrics are quite similar in a lot of ways. The people that played both styles left the South for work in the northern factories and wrote songs about it. Bernie Leadon plays a smokin' electric Banjo on Walkin' the Dog.

Kinda like the original "country-western" music has incredibly apparent Irish roots. That fiddle, and the "Riverdance" moves. When I noticed it it was like a massive "well duh". It was like suddenly noticing that a Firebird looks an awfully lot like a Camaro. :idea:

• Members

I'm old enough to vote and not yet an old fart. I cannot tolerate the commercials on radio anymore and I stopped listening to radio. But I do enjoy new music, but it seems to be far and few between as most new music today is just recycled crap or another of the current fad with very little originality or staying power.

Archived