Do you older guys (like me) listen to new music?

• Members

I'm in my 50s and also the oldest guy in my cover band. I listen to more new music and recommend more new tunes than anyone.

Regular radio is a complete waste of time. I subscribe to the (legal) Napster, where I can review the Billboard charts and listen to anything that's happening.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm 46 myself but my band is making it a point to add some newer music. What I consider contemporary may go back to the 90's. There's been a couple newer songs I've liked enough to want to add them to the set list, Lips of an Angel by Hinder and Animal I've Become by Three Days Grace. Some of the problem I see with newer music that I might want to do is all the down-tuning. I don't want to be carrying multiple guitars!

• Members

Im 40-something

I find that the overall "quality" of newer major-label radio acts and hits not to be up to par with that of the overall output of the 60s-70s-and some of the 80s. The number of songs and albums that I would put in the "Timeless" category since about '93 or so are very few and far inbetween, as compared to - say the 70s - where it could be considered a multi-annual event. I stress the "major label/ hits" thing because there are
tons
of great new music but its all under the mainstream radar and relegated to the underground and/or MySpace and will never see the light of radio and video.

Just my IMHO $.02

OK Devilraysfan I see your point, as a working musician you have to utilize your time well, sell beer, get the gigs. I am a great admirer of anyone who can make a living this way. I am a hobbyist, but I think it belittles you to make me look irrelevant because of that.

I guess I have trouble with superlatives, and to say the major label stuff today is nothing compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's is just wrong.

As you said, i guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

cheers!

• Members

OK Devilraysfan I see your point, as a working musician you have to utilize your time well, sell beer, get the gigs. I am a great admirer of anyone who can make a living this way. I am a hobbyist, but I think it belittles you to make me look irrelevant because of that.

I guess I have trouble with superlatives, and to say the major label stuff today is nothing compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's is just wrong.

cheers!

LOL :D I never said hobbyists were irrelevent, as a matter of fact, if it wasn't for you guys half my week wouldn't be booked. :thu: All I meant was that its a different mindset and you priortize things differently when you play fulltime

and debating music is moot anyway: its kind of like debating if chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla ice cream :D

• Members

But I kind of like the tangent topic this thread has spawned - i.e. the whole debate between playing what the crowd wants to hear vs. what the band wants to play. This a constant dilemma for my band, who can get caught playing jam/roots rock type stuff a bit too often cuz we enjoy playing it. We definately need more butt shakers in our sets, but don't necessarily want to regurgitate the old faithfuls (BrownEyedSallyAlabamaFunkyWhiteBoyMustangBrickHouse) even though we could do them well.

I struggle with this all the time, playing stuff I would personally like to hear, vs the crowd pleasers. To use Devilrayfan's phrase, many's a time I have learned what we thought was a great tune and it turned into "a turd in a punch bowl" upon playing it live. Why would a great tune like Tom Petty's "runnin down a dream' suck SOOOOO bad when covered?

I would love to cover a little Rush, some art rock, some metal, a few less popular tunes that where b sides that 'speak' to me (Stillness of Heart by Lenny Kravits comes to mind) but they all tank in the bar scene.

I have no answer to this, sometimes stuff works, old or new, sometimes it doesn't.

Cheers!

• Members

and debating music is moot anyway: its kind of like debating if chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla ice cream
:D

Well, I certainly agree with you there!!:thu: You like what you like, no one can change that.

I used to play with a vocalist that wanted to talk us in to liking tunes. He used to get all upset "How could you NOT like that" then turn around and crap on what we liked.

So we fired his ass.......:eek:

There are a million tunes, surely we can agree on 40 to get through a gig?

Cheers!

• Members

cheers!

I dont know how old you are,,, and i dont know what you have heard ,,, but you will have a hard time finding this level of vocal performance in modern rock music. This is old stuff,, but pretty good stuff, What is amazing it that there were high school rock bands that covered this stuff and could put out all three parts of the harmony. we had this thing on our set list. Three guys i played with were very good singers they could nail that stuff. rat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnVaGv9d2s

• Members

...I would love to cover a little Rush, some art rock, some metal, a few less popular tunes that where b sides that 'speak' to me (Stillness of Heart by Lenny Kravits comes to mind) but they all tank in the bar scene...

QUOTE]

My question is not so much about what songs you cover but do you even LISTEN to anything new. I know plenty of guys, musicians, who don't! I had one guy tell me, in all seriousness, that nothing new had been done since 1972! I find new stuff I like all the time. Most of the time it doesn't become music that the band would do, but I like being stimulated by new sounds.

• Members

We're all in our 40s and 50s ('cept me...I won't be 40 til October) and we all listen to different types of new music. The bassist and drummer listen to a lot of modern rock (so do I), I listen to the indie college station, and our guitarist has two teenage daughters, so he gets the CHR-format end of it. We've picked up some good songs that have lasted a long time in our sets with that arrangement.

• Members

My father is 52 and just as interested in "modern" music as he is of stuff from his younger days, though he's certainly pickier about it. He's just not as adept at finding it as I am, so I'll drop a couple of names at him every once in a while and I think he appreciates it. He's a total Limewire fiend...

I don't know, I figure it's the least I can do. The man taught me everything I know about listening to music...

• Members

...and doesn't anyone find it odd that bands like The Shins, The Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse have ALL had #1 albums in the past few months yet have not recieved a bit of airplay?

I think it's pretty safe to say that there are plenty of music listeners out there who don't seek out new music on the radio. I know I don't...

• Members

My father is 52 and just as interested in "modern" music as he is of stuff from his younger days, though he's certainly pickier about it. He's just not as adept at finding it as I am, so I'll drop a couple of names at him every once in a while and I think he appreciates it. He's a total Limewire fiend...

I don't know, I figure it's the least I can do. The man taught me everything I know about listening to music...

:eek:

Your dad is my age.

:cry: :cry:

Gawd, I feel old here...

• Members

I'm 52. Some of the newer stuff I've been checking out would be the Rebirth Brass Band, Donna the Buffalo, and my daughter got me Modern Times by Bob Dylan. Good stuff.

You also might try Bonerama! Brass band rock/funk is something the rest of the country needs to hear.

• Members

You also might try Bonerama! Brass band rock/funk is something the rest of the country needs to hear.

Rebirth Brass Band was opening for Galactic when I saw them. They totally stole the show. Nashville should be sued for calling itself Music City. Dr. John alone puts makes NOLA the real Music City.

• Members

I'm 54 and my son is 20, we both play in bands off and on, and sometimes together, he is constantly giving me new stuff to listen to.

Last night we went out for coffee; It was Meshugga going (Man they play different time signatures) and Hendrix coming home

We are going to see Derek Trucks together next month.

It's not about age, it 's just about being open to new ideas

• Members

...and doesn't anyone find it odd that bands like The Shins, The Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse have ALL had #1 albums in the past few months yet have not recieved a bit of airplay?

I think it's pretty safe to say that there are plenty of music listeners out there who don't seek out new music on the radio. I know I don't...

The stations I listen to play all these acts.

Cheers!

• Members

To the Ataris and uitar 9, you guys are choking me up.

Never had that sort of relationship with my Dad, wish I had, but he got me going on Hank Williams and just music in general.

I watch my band's guitarist (25) and his Dad (50) who have been in a band together. They have such a connection and such common ground, it's wonderful to watch adult children and their parent have such a great time together.

I hope my kids are getting that from me. Maybe, I'm taking oldest daughter to a Tool concert in a few weeks! Teaching second daughter to play guitar. What fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Rebirth Brass Band was opening for Galactic when I saw them. They totally stole the show. Nashville should be sued for calling itself Music City. Dr. John alone puts makes NOLA the real Music City.

New Orleans Brass Band music needs to be experienced...on the street.

• Members

I'm 35, I don't care for most modern music, heck I'm going to see The Police this Saturday :)

But my last two CDs (yes I still buy CDs) were from Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse.

I can't get into the whole indie rock / emo thing AT ALL.

I used to be heavily into electronica (drum n bass, house, techno, garage, trip-hop, breakbeat etc) a few years ago, but the weak-ass lo-fi electronic stuff that's out these days (sounds like a weak version Kraftwerk or early Depeche Mode with anemic vocals) doesn't move me one bit.

Archived