The Hallowed Halloween Gig

Gary in NJ

• Members

The dreaded Halloween gig is more like it. We are playing this one bar we play once a month. One of the guys that is booking the band is requiring costumes and some of us are not going to do it so it is causing some tension. Halloween is like playing New Years, Memorial Day, or Labor Day. It can either suck or be fun.

• Members

We picked up a last minute gig at a little bar that is really way out in the sticks. It is the only bar in the town so I hope it will fill up with locals. I know our normal crowd will not drive all the way out there.

I get to try out our new hazer tonight!

Max

• Members

The dreaded Halloween gig is more like it. We are playing this one bar we play once a month. One of the guys that is booking the band is requiring costumes and some of us are not going to do it so it is causing some tension. Halloween is like playing New Years, Memorial Day, or Labor Day. It can either suck or be fun.

Your glowing optimism makes me want to hug a puppy.

It's a damned fun gig if your get in the spirit of it - but if you're too cool to act a fool, yeah, it'll probably suck.

• Members

Your glowing optimism makes me want to hug a puppy.

It's a damned fun gig if your get in the spirit of it - but if you're too cool to act a fool, yeah, it'll probably suck.

Agree 100%

If you DO NOT like a Halloween gig where a bunch of girls are running around dressed like whoooares there is something VERY wrong with you. We played one Halloween show last night and we have another one tonight and its going to be AWESOME. We are ALL dressing up and we are going to bring hot chicks onstage and we're all getting drunk and laid. Anyone who doesn't want to dress up for a Halloween show should keep his lame ass in a studio playing off of charts.

• Members

Excuse me but our group appeals to a baby boomer crowd which means I get hit on by 56 year old women named Violet. I am strictly there for the money. Playing on holidays can be fun or it can really suck. In all my years of playing most of the time it is usually not a good time. It is not a matter of being too cool but loading a huge PA and a keyboard rig in costume is a pain in the ass. It also makes playing uncomfortable. To each his own I guess.

• Members

I despise any event that requires a costume that ain't theater.

A few years ago I did a Halloween gig and the band took a vote to "dress up." So I wore a nice suit to the gig. When I showed up, some of them gave me crap about not having a costume. I said "hey, you said dress up. This isn't dressed up enough for you?"

• Members

Agree 100%

If you DO NOT like a Halloween gig where a bunch of girls are running around dressed like whoooares there is something VERY wrong with you. We played one Halloween show last night and we have another one tonight and its going to be AWESOME. We are ALL dressing up and we are going to bring hot chicks onstage and we're all getting drunk and laid. Anyone who doesn't want to dress up for a Halloween show should keep his lame ass in a studio playing off of charts.

:rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

Excuse me but our group appeals to a baby boomer crowd which means I get hit on by 56 year old women named Violet. I am strictly there for the money. Playing on holidays can be fun or it can really suck. In all my years of playing most of the time it is usually not a good time. It is not a matter of being too cool but loading a huge PA and a keyboard rig in costume is a pain in the ass. It also makes playing uncomfortable. To each his own I guess.

But, dressing up makes you COOL!:rolleyes:

• Members

A few years ago I did a Halloween gig and the band took a vote to "dress up." So I wore a nice suit to the gig. When I showed up, some of them gave me crap about not having a costume. I said "hey, you said dress up. This isn't dressed up enough for you?"

Well that is how I feel Pat.

• Members

You were disguised as an adult? Right?

• Members

We don't have a show tonight, but we're doing a charity show tomorrow night that's a Halloween theme. There's costume contests and such. So we decided, since we dress up for every show, we'll just go with something real simple and let the attendees feel special in their costumes. We don't want to take the spotlight off of them.

• Members

Were playing a Halloween show with a hip hop group. We each have a set and the We have a short joint set which will include

Get on up (feeling like a sex machine)

Red Hot Mama (Funkadelic)

Where its at. (Beck)

Mama Said Knock you out (LL Cool J)

An original called Chicken Grease

Sabotage (Beastie Boys)

Give it Me (J Geils Band)

• Members

I am strictly there for the money.

saddest thing I have ever read on this board. If you aren't enjoying playing music and you're only doing it for a check, you might need to take a couple of years off and figure out why you picked up an instrument in the first place.

• Members

Ok, you don't want to dress up - cool. No problem. It ain't for everyone.

Why the hell then would you take a "Halloween" gig, knowing damn well that if you're the entertainment, the ringleader(s) of the event... it's pretty much the expected norm.

It's why places make a big deal out of Halloween.

• Members

saddest thing I have ever read on this board. If you aren't enjoying playing music and you're only doing it for a check, you might need to take a couple of years off and figure out why you picked up an instrument in the first place.

He was making reference to being with that particular band, NOT playing gigs in general.

• Members

You have all kinds of advice for everyone on this board don

• Members

Seriously, man, people play music for all kinds of reasons. Why is yours better than anyone else's?

Etta James once took the stage and refused to perform because, as she said to the expectant crowd, "I done told these fools I don't sing a note until I first get paid".

Maybe Etta should have taken a few years off, too.

I look at it like this: I've lost a ton of money over the past 38 years of doing this. I'm now in a position to earn some of it back. And you know what? Making decent dough for doing something I love and have devoted a lifetime to is a huge part of the enjoyment of it.

Wearing costumes while I do it, however, is not. Is that okay with you? :poke:

:wave:

It's why places make a big deal out of Halloween.

I've done over 25 Halloween gigs and not dressing up has never been an issue once. No one ever seems to give a flying crap if the band is in costume or not.

• Members

Playing in a little town that has a cowboy obsession. No motor vehicles on main street. Clapboard false front buildings, boardwalks. Horse traffic only. That's all the time. Halloween is cool. They make costumes for the horses too. It's always surreal.

• Members

I've done over 25 Halloween gigs and not dressing up has never been an issue once. No one ever seems to give a flying crap if the band is in costume or not.

Fair enough Pat. I'd guess the kinds of places you play vs where we do have a slightly different atmosphere. Nothing wrong with either.

Ours is a glorified drinking contest - and although not "expected", us dressing up for a halloween gig and acting like dip{censored}s just kinda fits. And nobody has ever given us any grief in the past for not costuming up either - but if it makes it that much more fun for us (and everyone else) to do so...

Archived