Country musicians in rock bands

Khatru

• Members

I like most music.. and i have some real heavy hitter friends that are into bluegrass. They would not be caught dead plugging in. Most bluegrass guitar players play dreds.... You wont do those chicken pickin licks on those ,,, most bluegrass is open chords down at the cash register. Its really apples and oranges. I will say that the blue grassers i know are good musicians..... when they aint whippin the hell out of a flat top and flat picken ,, they are playing chet stuff on their arch tops. Oh yea ,, one builds all his own instruments.....

If you can play bluegrass, you're good enough to play country. Too good, maybe. (Edit: The exception would be bluegrass rhythm guitarist-lead vocalists. Most of them can't solo well; that's fine because guitar isn't the big solo instrument in blugrass.)

Can't chicken-pick on a Martin D-28? Fine. Let the mando, fiddle or dobro take the break. "Cover" need not mean "copy".

The bluegrassers I know? Their other musical interests are all over the map, from western swing to cool jazz, to, well, Grateful Dead covers.

Modern country has undeniably talented players and singers -- and lots of high-tech production. It's a shame the music isn't more interesting, y'know.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you can play bluegrass, you're good enough to play country. Too good, maybe. (Edit: The exception would be bluegrass rhythm guitarist-lead vocalists. Most of them can't solo well; that's fine because guitar isn't the big solo instrument in blugrass.)

Can't chicken-pick on a Martin D-28? Fine. Let the mando, fiddle or dobro take the break. "Cover" need not mean "copy".

The bluegrassers I know? Their other musical interests are all over the map, from western swing to cool jazz, to, well, Grateful Dead covers.

Modern country has undeniably talented players and singers -- and lots of high-tech production. It's a shame the music isn't more interesting, y'know.

The dead were not that interesting till after the third bong hit .....

• Members

Its the last ditch effort alot of guys try before they load out..... If you can see that the original vision just is not working, many people try to introduce a modification to the original vision. If its not recieved well by the rest of the band ,,,, typcially the guy goes down the road and the band keeps floundering.

That could not be any further from the fact in my experience. They guy answered my add for a classic rock/oldies band, not a country act. I was very clear when talking to him that I don't like and am not interested in performing country music. Before we had even found a drummer and started really rehearsing he started talking about country music and tried to steer the newly forming band in that direction.

What I see is people answer ads without being honest with themselves. I think they don't really consider what type of band they really want to be in, they just answer the ad and hope to turn the project into what they really want.

In my case the band that formed from this ad has been very successful, there wasn't any floundering going on.

Max

• Members

In my area (Just north of Seattle) there isn't really much of a Country Music Market. I think there is only one country music radio station, and I can only think of one venue that has live country music in my area.

I'm sure in the more rural areas that Country Music has more of an audience but it just isn't very big in my neck of the woods (another reason I find living here so easy).

Max

• Members

That could not be any further from the fact in my experience. They guy answered my add for a classic rock/oldies band, not a country act. I was very clear when talking to him that I don't like and am not interested in performing country music. Before we had even found a drummer and started really rehearsing he started talking about country music and tried to steer the newly forming band in that direction.

What I see is people answer ads without being honest with themselves. I think they don't really consider what type of band they really want to be in, they just answer the ad and hope to turn the project into what they really want.

In my case the band that formed from this ad has been very successful, there wasn't any floundering going on.

Max

Thats cool. classic rock sells well. I think country sells better and a good country band will get opportunities that a good classic rock band wont. Like being the opening act for major stars. Most towns dont have that many really good country bands. Every corner bar has a classic rock band. As for the ads ,,, Alot of people will play with a band to mark time till somthing better comes along ,, and keep their chops up. Until bands get up and running and have regular gigs ,,,, its typically a revolving door of players. they come and they go for all kinds of reasons. Glad you are doing well

• Members

The dead were not that interesting till after the third bong hit .....

I'm an old folkie. When the Dead were still touring (they were a top money-maker on tour for decades) I didn't have much patience for my Deadhead friends because they excluded all else from thei musical palates.

When I was asked to join my current band, I almost refused because of that old bias. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's about the songs.

And many of the songs are top-notch. Plus, if we think like the Dead, we can choose our non-Dead tunes from a wide array of styles.

Playing bass on Dead tunes is just plain fun and we have a great time arranging harmonies too. I'd put our cover of "Cleaning Windows" up against anyone's.

So blow it out your bong hit!

• Members

Max

I don't think anything prevents a decent rock guitarist from playing country or vice-versa. Some of the scales differ, as do some of the guitar voices, but it's not like making the jump from punk to classical.

But joining a band then trying to push it your way isn't right

• Members

I don't think anything prevents a decent rock guitarist from playing country or vice-versa. Some of the scales differ, as do some of the guitar voices, but it's not like making the jump from punk to classical.

But joining a band then trying to push it
your
way isn't right

I have no desire to play country music or even step foot in a country music venue. I just don't like that music and have no desire to play any of it. I feel the same about Hip Hop, Rap and most modern pop music.

I am not saying Country Music is bad, I just don't happen to enjoy it.

I am not trying to make a living off of playing so I don't have to play stuff that I don't like.

Max

Max

• Members

I have no desire to play country music or even step foot in a country music venue. I just don't like that music and have no desire to play any of it. I feel the same about Hip Hop, Rap and most modern pop music.

I am not saying Country Music is bad, I just don't happen to enjoy it.

I am not trying to make a living off of playing so I don't have to play stuff that I don't like.

Max

Max

I like some older country tunes and bluegrass. Like you, I'm not playing for a living, so I don't need to learn the latest drivel.

The Dead cover band I play bass in does some country-flavored Dead tunes and the duo does some, well, duets.

I'm fairly certain that I would have very little in common with the trypical crowd member at a country venue, though.

• Members

Not sure if there is a country scene at all in the UK (certainly not in this area) but a lot of the new country stuff (at least from a guitar playing perspective) just seems like hard rock with less distortion to me. I enjoy playing both, and find the techniques complementary and useful in both the progressive rock and metal bands I play in. My bandmates pretty much share an abject hatred of the genre though, so there's no danger of either band crossing over to country (plus it'd pretty much get rid of our entire audience and never produce a new one)!

• Members

As far as country sounding like 80's pop, I say BS. Maybe on some of the bubble-gum crossover acts, but not on the groups/acts I listen to.

It's tough to admit, but the genre is defined by the bubble-gum crossover crap and not the obscure atypical cool country bands that you've stumbled across.

80s pop was about over-production and that is exactly what you hear is popular country. And, it's popular because that's what the country fans want.

• Members

Most rockers can't play country for squat.

They diss the music, they think they are cooler than it, but they can't cop the licks for crap.

Wait, maybe that's WHY they say they hate it?

Anyone can wank blooze and classic rock with the pentatonic box. Try that lame grade school {censored} on a country gig!

:wave:

• Members

No Country scene in the UK? Man, I understand it used to be pretty huge. A few good artists relocated there, pirate radio played a lot of it, heard the Irish really dug it, and produced some good practitioners. Times change, I guess, "But Good Ol' Country Music Stays the Same..."

• Members

Not sure if there is a country scene at all in the UK (certainly not in this area) but a lot of the new country stuff (at least from a guitar playing perspective) just seems like hard rock with less distortion to me. I enjoy playing both, and find the techniques complementary and useful in both the progressive rock and metal bands I play in. My bandmates pretty much share an abject hatred of the genre though, so there's no danger of either band crossing over to country (plus it'd pretty much get rid of our entire audience and never produce a new one)!

A lot of "new country" is essentially hair metal with a twang.

(I like playing hair metal, though :lol: )

• Members
Most rockers can't play country for squat.

They diss the music, they think they are cooler than it, but they can't cop the licks for crap.

Wait, maybe that's WHY they say they hate it?

Anyone can wank blooze and classic rock with the pentatonic box. Try that lame grade school {censored} on a country gig!

:wave:

Not being able to play those licks has nothing to do with not liking the music. It is over produced entirely written to a formula and as phoney as professional wrestling. I'm sure I could learn the licks if I could stand listening to the tunes but the desire is not there.

If you like country music that is just fine and great but you are not going to convert me into a fan. And trying to insult pople who don't enjoy country isn't going to gain any converts either.

Max

• Members
Not being able to play those licks has nothing to do with not liking the music. It is over produced entirely written to a formula and as phoney as professional wrestling. I'm sure I could learn the licks if I could stand listening to the tunes but the desire is not there.

If you like country music that is just fine and great but you are not going to convert me into a fan. And trying to insult pople who don't enjoy country isn't going to gain any converts either.

Max

Didn't you just insult people who like country music with this post?:poke: You are right that alot of country music is lame but then so is alot of rock music. As far as the guitar playing listen to some Brad Paisley, the guy can play.

• Members

Having had to suffer in country bands with rock dudes who wanted work but had no interest in the Jerry Reed, Albert Lee, Brent Mason style, it's pure pleasure to play with someone who does.

I am playing with a great classic rock band that is steadily moving towards country, as 3 of us played the Nashville Shuffle during most of the 90's. During that time, the guitar player/bandleader played the Grand Old Opry and toured with a national country/cajun artist. He was pretty much thrown into the fire trying to cover Albert Lee parts and leads but he pulled it off. From rubbing shoulders with the Nashville heavy hitters he came away with a strong sense of humility and modesty that most players half as good wouldn't have.

Our main venue's crowd just sits there when we do a pretty damn good "Josie" and "My Old School". Hence the move towards country.

• Members

Here's my take on country musicians in rock bands from someone on the other side of the fence:

First off, I have no problem making seamless transitions from country to rock to even metal. I've played them all although I prefer country by far and that's where I hang my hat. I've played in plenty of rock bands where they've enjoyed my playing, but as soon as they find out that I also listen to and play country music thing seem to change overnight. It like all of the sudden, I do not 'rock' as I did before although my playing has not changed one bit....or maybe I'm not 'cool' or on the 'same wavelength' now. Funny thing is, if they never knew, then I'd still be 'the man' and in the band's good graces. It's pretty much across the board with most of my experiences with rock/metal bands. Pure haterism for no reason. Now I ain't sayin that all rock/metal bands are like this....but I'm just sharing my experience.

IMO, some of the bigger trainwrecks I've experienced is rock guys joining country bands. T-R-A-I-N-W-R-E-C-K with a big ol capital T the size of the empire state building on that one! ;)

• Members

Didn't you just insult people who like country music with this post?:poke: You are right that alot of country music is lame but then so is alot of rock music. As far as the guitar playing listen to some Brad Paisley, the guy can play.

Sure calling most country music over-produced written to a strict formula and as genuine as pro wrestling might be insulting to some. However I am not trying to convince anyone that my taste in music is the best because some players don't play it well.

I find the whole country style and attitude as funny as those death metal bands that pretend to be badasses.

Max

Archived