Country musicians in rock bands

Khatru

• Members

I've had a few difficulties with bandmates over the years. For the most part, I get along with everyone. When there is a problem, it usually seems to be the problem person is on one side of an issue and the band on the other. For whatever reason, I've always found myself on the band side of the issue. I don't think I am extremely easy to get along with, but I try not to cause big problems when I am in a band.

The "problem kids" always seem to do the same things. They try to drastically change the direction of a band once they are in. Like taking a committed all-originals group and turning it into a classic rock cover band. Or refusing to play paying shows (in a hobby project formed for fun) unless the pay is over $100 per member. Or trying to get an alternative rock band to have some kind of coordinated stage apparel (dare I say uniforms?), fer crissakes.

I've always played in rock bands, never done any country projects. I don't personally like it and don't play it well. Just not my cup 'o tea. I would not ever consider getting in a country group in order to eventually "mold" it into something I liked better.

The bandmembers that don't seem to work out in these rock bands all have one common thing: They have all played in a country band at some point in the past. They usually are pretty good musicians and do well at auditions because they can play the music. So we let them join the band.

But after we let them into the band and some time passes, we discover that they have some kind of Hee-Haw gene that makes them want to dress in a ridiculous manner or say painfully stupid things into live mics in front of a crowd.

My working theory is that if you play alt-rock, progressive, or jazz stuff, you simply CANNOT select a bandmate with ANY country on the resume or next thing you know, they will be operating their own still on stage, eating cornpone, and extolling the virtues of possum stew.

I might miss out on a new Chet Atkins, but think I am willing to take that chance.

Discuss.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bob Newhart

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would guess one of the reasons is because country is a proven money maker and crowd pleaser. Its hard to get people to pull away from somthing they know that works. country and old rock are the only two things i am really interested in... why ,, because it works.

• Members

I think it's more of a personality issue than a genre one.

One thing for sure ,,, those country guys can load out anytime they want and be working. I have been in south texas the past couple of months .... I have been playing all country and older rock and roll down there. People like that stuff so its workin for me. The bar is packed and the people are doing whats expected of them ,, spendin money , drinkin and having fun.

• Members

I started my current band about three year ago. The first guy I started working with was a bass player. He answered my add for a classic rock oldies type band. However he kept talking about country music a lot. I told him many times that I have no desire to play any country music at all. I finally had to let him go and hire my wife on bass.

Not long after that he is playing bass in a country band. I just know if I would not have gotten rid of him that he would have been trying to turn my new band into country band. He had an agenda to make my band into the country band that he wanted to play in.

Max

• Members

My working theory is that if you play alt-rock, progressive, or jazz stuff, you simply CANNOT select a bandmate with ANY country on the resume or next thing you know, they will be operating their own still on stage, eating cornpone, and extolling the virtues of possum stew.

Yeah, I like dolly parton so I must have sex with my family, right?

There I've upped your troll with another troll. That's what you are after, right?

• Members

Today ,, i look at old rock and modern country as almost the same genre. Its like haveing two brands of beer intead of just a keg. I vote for a little of both. The same crowd will go nuts over either.... if your band does both well, you can be the best band in town in alot of peoples minds. Its kinda like a redneck wedding band.

• Members

I guess I would never join a Patsy Cline tribute band and suggest that we do Nirvana covers or something.

I've been through this sort of thing a few times and there is always the country background in the instigating party. Just wondering if that was a product of that background or just my experience, because it seems like an odd coincidence.

I actually think that the weak leadership is the root of the problem as wades_keys pointed out. If the project was "mine", I would probably do a few things differently.

And I'm not actually against country music, if that's your thing. If someone wants to start a country band, more power to 'em. Just don't go join a jazz group or something and try to turn it into the Opry. That's just bull{censored} behavior, regardless of genre.

The cornpone, stills, and possum stuff were just exaggerations done for cheap comic effect, not to drag for trolls or piss off the chicken pickers!

• Moderators

There might be something to that. But I'd say the litmus test is whether the player can stomach new country or not. I love old country music, but that new stuff is tied with the jonas brothers on the coolness scale.

I feel similarly. I love Waylon and Patsy Cline and Hank Sr and Willie Nelson and so on, but the mainstream new stuff just makes me queasy.

Although... Lucinda is newer stuff, but a lof of her music is much rawer and cooler.

• Members

I've never chosen a favorite genre of music, never felt the need. But I doubt there's any collective doubt that country music is often cited as the "least worthy." Some like the old stuff but not the new others like the new stuff and not the old and yet others hate it altogether.

I look at it this way: It's music. It doesn't belong in a thrash band. But while in a country band in the late 80's you should have heard our steel guitar player pick out metallica licks while I was learning the bass for another project I was in. We never did that number for a show but it made for a lot of great fun at practice.

I'm glad I was weaned on country.

And I am the guy that brings country songs to a rock band. I just don't tell them what it is and let them play it however they want. Once we have it I play them the original and we all get a good laugh out of it. Sometimes the song works, other times it doesn't. If it seems to work and someone vetoes -- no big deal we drop the song.

They are all just songs. Rock, country, jazz, fusion, whatever. They either work with or against the vibe and if it goes the wrong way it gets dropped no matter what genre the song is.

Just enjoy the music. Drop the songs that don't work. But be open. That's my mantra. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

One thing for sure ,,, those country guys can load out anytime they want and be working. I have been in south texas the past couple of months .... I have been playing all country and older rock and roll down there. People like that stuff so its workin for me. The bar is packed and the people are doing whats expected of them ,, spendin money , drinkin and having fun.

Yep. My solo and duo gig is morphing from blues to folk/alt country. I'm doing a lot of Chris Knight, James McMurtry, John Hiatt, even a Brad Paisley tune. Seems to be working well and paying well too.

• Members

The "problem kids" always seem to do the same things. They try to drastically change the direction of a band once they are in. Like taking a committed all-originals group and turning it into a classic rock cover band. Or refusing to play paying shows (in a hobby project formed for fun) unless the pay is over $100 per member. Or trying to get an alternative rock band to have some kind of coordinated stage apparel (dare I say uniforms?), fer crissakes.

I've always played in rock bands, never done any country projects. I don't personally like it and don't play it well. Just not my cup 'o tea. I would not ever consider getting in a country group in order to eventually "mold" it into something I liked better.

The bandmembers that don't seem to work out in these rock bands all have one common thing: They have all played in a country band at some point in the past. They usually are pretty good musicians and do well at auditions because they can play the music. So we let them join the band.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bob Newhart

This all seems strange to me. First of all, why would you join an originals band and then try to convert it to a covers band? Seems silly.

I guess I have just been really lucky. Everybody knew exactly what they were getting into when they came in ( a classic rock covers band, $100 bucks per man minimum, more when we can get it ) everyone wants the same thing, likes the same material, and there has been zero drama in this first year with no potential drama in sight. Lucky us I guess.

BTW I did not think of any country musicians when I was trying to put together a band...

• Members

My sympathies to Kahtru for his bad experiences (and thanks for an interesting topic) but I can't say I have seen too many country players try to convert bands to country. We usually know that is a lost cause. Oftentimes a good rock player just can't get a convincing country guitar sound and style. The best country picker in my area says "I can do what the rock guys do" (and he can) "but they can't do what I do" (and they can't).

I have had far more frustration from being in country bands

with a rock guitar player who didn't really care about copping the Brent Mason/Jerry Reed style because they were just doing country gigs for the $$. That's just my experience, which is no more valid than anyone else's. But I think it is a bad idea to veto having a good player in a your band just because they have played in country bands.

• Members

This all seems strange to me. First of all, why would you join an originals band and then try to convert it to a covers band? Seems silly.

I guess I have just been really lucky. Everybody knew exactly what they were getting into when they came in ( a classic rock covers band, $100 bucks per man minimum, more when we can get it ) everyone wants the same thing, likes the same material, and there has been zero drama in this first year with no potential drama in sight. Lucky us I guess.

BTW I did not think of any country musicians when I was trying to put together a band...

Definitely consider yourself lucky if this scenario is strange to you. You are in a group of few.

• Members

I'm on sort of the opposite side of the fence. I've always been a "rocker guy". I look the part. I spent the better part of my adult life thus far trying to achieve that goal.

I walked away from rock to play country. Why? Because I got tired of empty bars. Who amongst us here can refute that?

The money's better, the crowd's better, and that means I get to have more fun. I decided that I want to play music. I don't care what type it is, so long as I get to have fun. It's as simple as that.

To the OP - I think you're asking why people want to change something to better suit their needs. I would think it's human nature. I guess it's because we all have minds of our own and we all want to see our dreams come to fruition.

• Members

I've never chosen a favorite genre of music, never felt the need. But I doubt there's any collective doubt that country music is often cited as the "least worthy." Some like the old stuff but not the new others like the new stuff and not the old and yet others hate it altogether.

I look at it this way: It's music. It doesn't belong in a thrash band. But while in a country band in the late 80's you should have heard our steel guitar player pick out metallica licks while I was learning the bass for another project I was in. We never did that number for a show but it made for a lot of great fun at practice.

I'm glad I was weaned on country.

And I am the guy that brings country songs to a rock band. I just don't tell them what it is and let them play it however they want. Once we have it I play them the original and we all get a good laugh out of it. Sometimes the song works, other times it doesn't. If it seems to work and someone vetoes -- no big deal we drop the song.

They are all just songs. Rock, country, jazz, fusion, whatever. They either work with or against the vibe and if it goes the wrong way it gets dropped no matter what genre the song is.

Just enjoy the music. Drop the songs that don't work. But be open. That's my mantra. Your mileage may vary.

John: How ridiculously rational and reasonable you are!:thu:

Attitudes go a long way and it's obvious, you and your band have good ones when it comes to music.

• Members

I guess I didn't purposely rule them out ... but really the only country players I know are all in bands, and the 3 guys that came to mind for my my project were a) currently available and b) like to play rock.

Archived