Country musicians in rock bands

Khatru

• Members
A lot of rockers get very uptight about it but the fact is that country music takes a lot more chops/theory, particularily if you have to play some rhythm along with the leads...I've has the misfortune to gig with rockers who were "slumming" who had no idea what a diminished chord was!

If it wasn't a major, a minor or a 7th, they'd just look at you like a deer in the headlights.
:lol:

are you saying country music uses a lot of diminished chords? I hope thats not what you are saying.were those rockers playing Jazz with you since that is where diminished chords are used most in modern music and if they were, I wouldn't call that slumming. your post makes no sense.:facepalm:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

are you saying country music uses a lot of diminished chords? I hope thats not what you are saying.were those rockers playing Jazz with you since that is where diminished chords are used most in modern music and if they were, I wouldn't call that slumming. your post makes no sense.
:facepalm:

Personally, I think Terry's post made tons of sense.

I think what Terry is saying is that there are alot of musicians out there with attitudes that suggest that they (and they alone) know what real music is as well as how it's supposed to be played. Further, that while they may view themselves as defenders of real "____" (enter genre here) - they themselves are viewed by other musicians as being marginally competent at best because they've pigeonholed themselves with one style/one genre of music.

I've run into my share of musicians (usually guitar players) with that condescending "I play real music" attitude that prevents them from appreciating the fact that there's a broad spectrum of equally real music out that they for reasons unknown fail to show respect for.

That's not to say that everybody who plays "______" (enter genre here) is that way - they certainly are NOT! - but there are enough of 'em (usually the beginners) who don't know what they don't know with attitude.

I think Terry's post is saying they're sorta funny to watch - but a PITA to play with.

• Members
are you saying country music uses a lot of diminished chords? I hope thats not what you are saying.were those rockers playing Jazz with you since that is where diminished chords are used most in modern music and if they were, I wouldn't call that slumming. your post makes no sense.
:facepalm:

actually, country music does use diminished chords, pretty often in fact..If you had ever played much country music you would know that:poke: :)

• Members

Here's my underlying take on this. It's important to find people who share your musical sensibility and true goals for the band (whatever they are). When you have people who do not share this, the parting of the ways is inevitable. You do have to invest some time to find out what they are about.

I think when a musician is willing to go play a different genre that is not musically interesting to them just in order to make a few bucks, that tells you that they just want to stay busy and gigging often and getting a few bucks is more important that "creating a sound", so to speak. If your band is not about gigging and getting a few dollars, you need to avoid people with that sort of outlook.

It is odd that whenever this has happened, there is a country music component in the background of the person wanting to alter the band's direction. But I think it is not about country, necessarily. It is about the music being secondary that is the real problem.

For example, if someone is really into doom metal but is interested in your boy-band project, it should raise some small concerns as to why...

Some rock musicians are not into country. But if they still play country music anyway for reasons other than the love of the music, then that tells you something about how they view music. Those are the guys I would like to avoid since I care very much about what I present to an audience and they just seem to want to have an audience and don't care if it is a tuba band...

So if you do love country music, play it with passion and enjoy the hell out of it. It's the guys that just want to be in a band (just any gigging band) that concern me.

The music has to come first. All things flow from that.

• Members

Country music composition is fine, the reason I dislike the genre as it has evolved is that it tends to glorify nationalism alongside its not-so-subtle endorsement of evangelicalism.

Other than those parts, it's fine. However, without those parts it's essentially hair metal, and hair metal did it better.

However, "old country" is just a type of folk music, which is fine by me. Still not interested in playing it, personally.

• Members

It's the guys that just want to be in a band (just any gigging band) that concern me.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this thought in the context of your post. Would throwing in an adjective make it read like this for you? "The guys that just want to be in any gigging band don't concern me"

Personally - I'm currently involved in a jazz project and 3 different dance cover acts. One is my long time project that does lots of Motown and older material. Another focus on R&B and "blue eyed" soul. The last is stripped down 4 piece doing classic rock and R&B. It's a juggling act - but with the economy down and gigs hard to come by - between the 4 acts I'm about as busy as I want to be at this point.

Do you feel that defining one's state musical goal to be that they're looking for a gigging band - regardless of genre - is concerning?

In my case - it's not a total disregard for genre. I'm not the least bit interested in playing hard rock, metal of any sub-genre or anything that might get classified as rap or hiphop. Other than that - I'm game for giving pretty much anything and everything else a try.

• Members

I don't think the original poster was trying to turn this into a discussion on the merits of country music.

The problem is people who join bands that are already set in the genre they intend to perform and then try to change the genre of music. It happens to classic rock guys that hire someone that ends up wanting to start playing metal. When I put out an ad for classic rock/oldies I didn't want to the band to be changed into a country, metal , or jazz band.

Max

• Members

I don't think the original poster was trying to turn this into a discussion on the merits of country music.

The problem is people who join bands that are already set in the genre they intend to perform and then try to change the genre of music. It happens to classic rock guys that hire someone that ends up wanting to start playing metal. When I put out an ad for classic rock/oldies I didn't want to the band to be changed into a country, metal , or jazz band.

Max

Its the last ditch effort alot of guys try before they load out..... If you can see that the original vision just is not working, many people try to introduce a modification to the original vision. If its not recieved well by the rest of the band ,,,, typcially the guy goes down the road and the band keeps floundering.

• Members

One thing for sure ,,, those country guys can load out anytime they want and be working. I have been in south texas the past couple of months .... I have been playing all country and older rock and roll down there. People like that stuff so its workin for me. The bar is packed and the people are doing whats expected of them ,, spendin money , drinkin and having fun.

Texas isn't noted for culture, imagination, judgement or discretion. Just so you know.

This is the state that elected George W. Bush governor.

• Members

Texas isn't noted for culture, imagination, judgement or discretion. Just so you know.

This is the state that elected George W. Bush governor.

I dont know,, alot of big rock, blues and country stars came out of texas. I will be more than happy to touch down there tomorrow night. Just under two weeks back in michigan was more than enough {censored}ty weather.

• Members

Today ,, i look at old rock and modern country as almost the same genre. Its like haveing two brands of beer intead of just a keg. I vote for a little of both. The same crowd will go nuts over either.... if your band does both well, you can be the best band in town in alot of peoples minds. Its kinda like a redneck wedding band.

Your hearing must bas a bad as your eyesight.

Two brands of beer -- Bud and Busch. Each worse than the other.

Keep in mind that I play in a Grateful Dead cover band, so I'm not going to trash anyone for playing covers. Using Garcia and the Dead as a template for choosing other covers gives us a lot of stylistic latitude, from R&B to country to blues to borderline disco and so on.

But the only worthwhile country -- to me, anyhow -- is not the new commercial stuff.

• Members

I dont know ,,, the guitar players are great, the vocals are great, its great dance music. The truth is most bands are not good enough to do it justice. Its tight. I would love to play in a top flight country band. I know i would be playing with some of the best musicians and singers in any town.

Yep.

The melodies are re-hashed and the lyrics are drivel.

You can have it.

• Members

I dont know,, alot of big rock, blues and country stars came out of texas. I will be more than happy to touch down there tomorrow night. Just under two weeks back in michigan was more than enough {censored}ty weather.

And Liverpool is the centre of the English rock scene.

• Members

Its not for everyone ,, most bands cant even perform it ,, the vocals and leads eat their lunch.

I like some country tunes -- and I do well at them in band, duo or solo formats.

I just don't care for 95 percent of what I hear on country radio these days.

I figure it's part of a cover musician's job to ferret out the good tunes instead of playing the currently popular bad ones.

• Members

I like some country tunes -- and I do well at them in band, duo or solo formats.

I just don't care for 95 percent of what I hear on country radio these days.

I figure it's part of a cover musician's job to ferret out the good tunes instead of playing the currently popular bad ones.

Bite off some diamond rio covers and get back to me.

• Members

Lets just say its not NH. have you even been in texas?

Been to all the U.S. states except Texas, New Mexico, Mississippi, S. Dakota and Michigan.

I've met plenty of Texans over the years, though -- enough to form a judgement about the place.

• Members

Slick, but trite arrangements. More strings than Phil Spector's "Long and Winding Road."

Nothing there an everyday bluegreass band couldn't do with its eyes closed.

Hmmm I have seen alot of bluegrass bands. I lived in southern indiana. While most of the good ones have good harmony ,,,, they could never cover diamond rio. Bluegrass is all acoustic. Hard core blue grass people use nothing electric except a mic they huddle around.

• Members

Hmmm I have seen alot of bluegrass bands. I lived in southern indiana. While most of the good ones have good harmony ,,,, they could never cover diamond rio. Bluegrass is all acoustic. Hard core blue grass people use nothing electric except a mic they huddle around.

Yep, it's acoustic music. Tempo is usually way faster than country, but most bluegrass players have the chops to cover the drivel that passes for modern country; they just choose not to

But not all bands huddle around the same mic as if it wer an old-time radio show. Some have a mic for each singer and one for each instrument. Some even use DIs for the instruments.

Try some. You might like it.

Edit: The only thing keeping a bluegrass band from the country "feel" is instrumental sustain -- and they can get that from fiddle and dobro.

I've seen bluegrass bands cover Ozzy Osbourne, Eric Clapton and Dire Straits, among others.

• Members

Yep, it's acoustic music. Tempo is usually way faster than country, but most bluegrass players have the chops to cover the drivel that passes for modern country; they just choose not to

But not all bands huddle around the same mic as if it wer an old-time radio show. Some have a mic for each singer and one for each instrument. Some even use DIs for the instruments.

Try some. You might like it.

I like most music.. and i have some real heavy hitter friends that are into bluegrass. They would not be caught dead plugging in. Most bluegrass guitar players play dreds.... You wont do those chicken pickin licks on those ,,, most bluegrass is open chords down at the cash register. Its really apples and oranges. I will say that the blue grassers i know are good musicians..... when they aint whippin the hell out of a flat top and flat picken ,, they are playing chet stuff on their arch tops. Oh yea ,, one builds all his own instruments.....

Archived