What are your hopes and goals for 2009?

MartinC

• Members

Well here we go blasting into another year. For me 08's been a double edged sword. Day gig good, music bad. Two years ago i had an opportunity to buy a commercial building for my flooring business. It is bigger and more expensive than anything I ever thought I'd own. I looked at it with a friend and said to him "A guy could retire if he paid this thing off" He said yeah, or else it could suck every drop of blood out of you.

The jury's still out. It's been two years, and I still floating, but haven't made any progress playing or writing music in that time. I've always been able to keep my music moving forward before, and it nags at me that the last two years I haven't made any progress. So, my goal this year is to write, record, or learn some music. To find time to practice a bit more, and to become a slightly better musician in some way. And of course keep the day gig happening. Oh, and to lose 20lbs:)

• Members

Fix the band I'm in. I joined it as a 'we don 't really give a crap; we're all old friends and veteran players who just want to have fun and play whatever we feel like' kind of thing. But I have a lot of time invested now and I either want it to shine or fold.

-I want to develop my solo act further and book it more.

-I want to make an acoustic solo CD on my home recording gear.

-I want to avoid getting laid off my day gig. So far so good but who knows?

-I want to take at least one long motorcycle trip again this coming year. In the past I've gone to San Diego (twice) Montana (twice) Canada (twice) and the Oregon Coast (also twice). This year I didn't do any. But Geezerfest 4 is supposed to be in Tulsa in August so I'd like to ride to that. 1800 miles one way- Should be fun.

• Members

Our dual-city band experiment having failed, my bandmate is moving back to my area and becoming my new roommate. We think that living together will ramp up our music productivity. We just want to start recording demo versions of our songs (13 and counting). Fortunately, we're friends with members of an established local band so we hope to open for them or otherwise get gigs through our connections with them.

Got a new day gig so I should be good as far as the financing goes. Nobody on our scene makes a lot of money off of music - everyone plays shows for fun and to express themselves. Very much a DIY/punk rock like attitude, despite hardly anybody actually playing punk rock.

• Members

- Develop my solo fingerstyle playing & repertoire.

- Get my own bass & get past the "guitar player screwing around on bass" stage.

- Thoroughly analyze the companies on my watch-list for possible stock purchases in '09 or '10.

- Work through the beginner piano books in the piano bench.

- Make more time for reading (less time for internet & TV).

- Drop 20 more lbs. (like 2008).

- Build a Weber Add-a-Verb.

- Start fewer threads displaying my complete idiocy. :(

• Members

Take advantage of the fact that my variety bandleader works in sales for a large food distribution company to get gigs on the books for the variety band.

Make sure that the variety band delivers more than was expected, and that the club owners/managers know who I am.

Build name recognition for the variety band and myself through gigs.

Use this name recognition and contacts to help secure gigs for my classic rock band.

• Members

for 2009 I plan on totally overhauling my band, making some much needed and long delayed improvments.

Our last couple of gigs it has become painfully clear to me how much dead time we have between songs, our endings are sloppy, vocal harmonies can be improved.

I want to spend some money on a decent light show and tighten up our set lists. Start rehearsing transitions between songs, refresh the set list, and weed out all the duds and metal crap that no one in our audience wants to hear.

On a personal note: I'm going to work less hours, finally get some originals recorded, work on the home improvements, and try to chill out a little more often.

• Moderators

- I want my band to complete our third album and release it with label support

- I want us to go beyond just getting press and decent shows in Seattle to doing so regionally.

- I want to take a class in the evenings starting in Spring quarter, and somehow balance this with my schedule.

-I want to visit Europe with my lady.

• Members

Well let's see...

-Record more. I have more recording gear than most and yet all I do is the odd demo. I have access to a great space and need to attack that more.

-Keep plowing along at the day job. 2008 saw about a 300 person reduction in workforce. Luckily, I ended 2008 with a bit of a promotion, so keep that rolling.

-Help my wife find a job she loves. She was out of work 6 months last year and is currently so hopefully we find something that's right for her (She's an RN.) This is less resolution more requirement. It's getting to the point I worry about paying bills.

-Finally get into DIY. I'm skilled and can do a ton of stuff, just never have.

-Lose about 15 lbs.

-Go on tour with the band at least once this year.

-Invent a kooky line dance that sweeps the nation.

• Members

I want to either remix our demo or make a new one.

Learn a bunch of new songs.

Get more into promotion and network more.

Revamp our myspace page and my personal website.

Get more band gigs.

Rework my solo act songlist, learn new stuff, relearn old ones I let go.

Get more solo gigs.

Practice playing lead every day.

Practice classical guitar and get that back up to par.

Write a little every day.

Get better on piano.

Start practicing drums

(Piano and drums just for fun).

Get a nice music room set up in my son's old room. (He just moved out.)

Lose that 20 pounds (again)

• Members

For my cover-ish band: Winning Austin's best cover band would be awesome. We came in 4th two years ago and second last year. Also, some private shows that PAY REALLY WELL would be nice. That and our parody video idea.

The band for which I play drums - Get enough material for a 1 hour set. Get better gigs. Stay under the radar enough that my bandmates don't realize what a {censored}ty drummer I am.

Original Music - FINALLY, after 2 years, come up with a goddamn band name for our original project.

Songwriter - Hope that the chick who likes one of my songs records it and hope that Sony likes it because checks coming in monthly would be bad ass a lot.

• Members

See W & Co get hung out to dry on war crimes charges besides the multitude of other crimes they should be charged with.

Buy at least 6 more guitars for less than $100 each.

Buy a new JS100

Get at least 6 songs for my CD completely written and ready to record

Add at least 12 new songs to my Guitaraoke set

See the Trailblazers make the playoffs

See the St Louis Rams not suck

See the Oregon Ducks get into a BCS bowl game

Play at least 1 round of golf. (Haven't played for 2 years!)

Build my own electric guitar

Get my Simpsons, Married with Children, That 70's Show, Family Guy and Futurama DVD sets up to date.

Buy a 50" plasma HDTV

Drink more beer

• Members

All I want is to lose about 30 pounds, and maybe give up smoking... It's a filthy disgusting addiction that I hope to put behind me.

I feel your pain. I dicked around with smoking for a long time and it's worse than any other drug I ever did. You just have to be ready to let uit go.

I had some incentive-my wife said if I quit for a year I could get a new motorcycle. So I did, and I did!

Mojo your way.

• Members

I'd like to find a graceful way to drop out of the modern hard rock group and spend my valuable free time tweaking the performance of my own band so we can get out and play.

I'd really like to get closer to technical mastery of the huge pile of musical hardware and software I have here (specifically Korg TR88, Roland Fantom XR, Reason 4, Digital Performer 5.13, Sonar 7, Ableton Live, etc.).

My keyboard chops have come a long way this year but I've got a ways to go before I become as confident and proficient as I am on guitar. That will certainly change in 2009.

I'd like to spend more time creating and producing my own songs rather than practicing cover songs.

• Members

With the band, my goals are to keep moving in the same direction as '08. I'd like to settle into once-a-month gigs, keep writing original material, and develop a solid local reputation. We've come a long way since our first gig a little over a year ago, and I'd like to keep growing.

• Members

I feel your pain. I dicked around with smoking for a long time and it's worse than any other drug I ever did. You just have to be ready to let uit go.

I had some incentive-my wife said if I quit for a year I could get a new motorcycle. So I did, and I did!

Mojo your way.

That's the problem .. I enjoy it, even though I know it's destructive. I was thinking of trying that pill that makes you not like it anymore, and wear like 15 patches at the same time lol.

Thx for the mojo!

Archived