CL another no pay gig

newmaxnew

• Members

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/muc/1616198021.html

Looking for Bands that Just Want to Play

We are looking for bands that just want to play. Maybe a burger and some beers for the members. We want people that love to have a good time and love to play music. We have the venue, crowd and drinks. You bring some music and a good attitude. Email us back and we can give you some specifics!

The hits just keep on coming....

Max

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/muc/1616198021.html

Looking for Bands that Just Want to Play

We are looking for bands that just want to play. Maybe a burger and some beers for the members. We want people that love to have a good time and love to play music. We have the venue, crowd and drinks. You bring some music and a good attitude. Email us back and we can give you some specifics!

The hits just keep on coming....

Max

I wonder if they hire waitstaff who "just love to have a good time"? And since they want everyone to have a good time, I wonder if they give away drinks for free? :facepalm:

• Members

What I hate is the bars that want to get guys to play for drinks. One of the bars down here does that. The last freekin thing in the world i want do do is play music with a bunch of guys whos goal is to suck up as much free beer as they can. Some guys love that ,, but I wont do it. Its maggot music most of the time and attracts the exact kind of people i have no interest in being around.

• Members

Hey it's closer to reality for most towns.

These weekend warrior dudes who "Don't need the money" and are happy to be getting $100 or less just so they can say "I'm in a band" and live out the life they can't as a mild-mannered-middle-manager...these are the guys that keep everyone else's pay at squat.

Now I am a weekend warrior my damnself, but make no mistake money is HUGE deal. And if it aint there, I aint playin'.

Bars love newbie bands because they can pay them dick and then charge their friends and families for drinks and food. It's a good business model.

• Members

^
:lol:
...sounds like they're basically offering rehearsal space, with people drinking there while you practice. I wouldn't want to play it or hear it. In my experience, most bands that want to play "just for fun" aren't worth hearing...

Reminds me of a band I had a few years back. A bar owner called us up and heard we were practicing and that we were pretty good (small town, word gets around). She offered her bar as a sort of "practice area" and said we could practice there and maybe get some drinks or something for free.

I told her that we already had a practice place and that if we were to play in her bar, it would be to perform and get paid for it. When I told her how much it would cost (I started off fairly low with $400 for four hours), she balked and asked what she could get for three hours. I told her $325 and she agreed to that.

Once we did the three hour gig, she became our biggest fan and booked us every month for several months in a row at our regular $400 for four hours price. She even made a huge poster of us from pictures she took and hung it up in the bar. It was pretty cool.

I never regretted standing my ground on the issue of "practice in a bar with free beer/food" vs. "first paid gig there at initial discounted price that would go up with next performance."

• Members

5-6 years ago I was playing with a band that had no place to rehearse. We ended up rehearsing in a cigar shop/bar one of the guys worked out. I guess the bar got free entertainment, but it was not a place that featured live music, it was not at peak hours (6-8pm), and it was not a rowdy crowd. Pat Travers was there one time.

• Members

Those corner bars and "C" rooms never paid well and most never even had live music back in the day when a cover band could make $4000-$6000 a week by playing 5 or 6 night in the same night club. These little corner bars can not fit enough people inside to ever make enough money to pay the big bucks.

Those "C" rooms are not what has driven the pay down for live music. The problem is that there are no longer venues that can attract a big enough crowd 5 or 6 nights a week to be able to pay bands like they did back in the day. I can't think of any venues that offer live music even 5 nights a week anymore. Back then I could go to a night club on a Wednesday night and it would be pretty full of people spending money. THis type of situation just doesn't exist anymore.

Max

• Members

I dont know if you can paint them all with the same brush. Maybe the 40 sumthings fit your stereotype. I am seeing another type surface. Guys who are retired , love music , are good ,, and some with creds that are pretty hard to match. One might ask why would they do it after being a full blown pro in music? In life you do things for money. soon you find out that what you did as a job no matter how cool it seems to the outside world is still just a freeking job. Lots of old guys never want to go back to those ball and chain days. Do you think les paul gave a {censored} in his late years how much he made to get on stage to play guitar? Now for sure I aint no les paul,, but cant you see that a guy like that who loves music would not just do it because he loves it. money is a strange thing. It can start out as the goal and end up as the poison that takes the real enjoyment out of things. I ruined a couple great things others do as a hobby , by turning them into jobs. I remember well the last flight I made for the money. I flew my last working airplane down to drop it off to the new owner. I picked up my check,, and I have not been in a plane since that day. I just dont have any desire to do it. Things are weird like that. I cant explain it. Money doesnt mean squat to me with music these days. You see too much bull {censored} over guys giving themselves too much stress over too little money in a local music scene. Money is cool , but its not my focus with music. Its the guys in the band ,,,its the people who show up to listen and its doing a good job. If that pisses people off ,, oh well ,, up your game. If you are grubbin over the bucks at a local level,, you are not int the game that hard anyway. You will die of stress befoe you starve to death.

It's half fun and half money for my motivation. I wouldn't do it entirely for the money, but I won't do it without it either. If the band I'm in now cracked up, I wouldn't seek another. I can live without playing in a band.

So I feel you, brutha.

But your Les Paul example did not help your argument. I believe he played at the Iridium in NYC and did 2-3 shows a day. They charged like $25 for a one hour performance...a total clip joint for tourists and you better believe the drinks were ten bucks.

He was doing it for the money, no doot.

• Members

Those corner bars and "C" rooms never paid well and most never even had live music back in the day when a cover band could make $4000-$6000 a week by playing 5 or 6 night in the same night club. These little corner bars can not fit enough people inside to ever make enough money to pay the big bucks.

Those "C" rooms are not what has driven the pay down for live music. The problem is that there are no longer venues that can attract a big enough crowd 5 or 6 nights a week to be able to pay bands like they did back in the day. I can't think of any venues that offer live music even 5 nights a week anymore. Back then I could go to a night club on a Wednesday night and it would be pretty full of people spending money. THis type of situation just doesn't exist anymore.

Max

Spot on brother. :thu:

"Clubs" used to be - CLUBS.

Now it's just a bunch of little {censored}-holes.

• Members

Wades, I just got tired of people comparing the pay in the old days at a real night club, to the pay at Joe's corner pub and sports bar. The bands that play at Joe's on the corner would never have had a chance to play for real money at a real night club anyway.

Max

• Members

Wades, I just got tired of people comparing the pay in the old days at a real night club, to the pay at Joe's corner pub and sports bar. The bands that play at Joe's on the corner would never have had a chance to play for real money at a real night club anyway.

Max

EXACTLY.

When I lived in S. FL, there was a joint called "RoseBud's" that was a full-on nightclub: the band that was in the rotation at the time was "Saigon Kick" - you may remember that they got signed to a major and had a radio hit.

There's just no way in HELL that my little band would EVER have a chance of hanging with full-on pros like that; I wouldn't even attempt it.

• Members

I want to know what the group of drunks they bring in sound like!

12 bar in E ,, Now we are going to change things up a little ,, 12 bar in A now we are going to take a break,, and suck up some free beer. We are going to do one we did earlier ,, 12 bar in E LOL:thu:

• Members

Max

Unfortunately here, the 'real nightcklubs' want to pay you what Joe's {censored}hole did 25 years ago. And it's only because there are suckers that will do it.

• Members

EXACTLY.

When I lived in S. FL, there was a joint called "RoseBud's" that was a full-on nightclub: the band that was in the rotation at the time was "Saigon Kick" - you may remember that they got signed to a major and had a radio hit.

I have the CD, they were on their way up but then the singer died in the passenger seat of Vince Neil's car while they were making a beer run.

• Members

Bars love newbie bands because they can pay them dick and then charge their friends and families for drinks and food. It's a good business model.

It's a good business model? I'm of the opinion that it does nothing to build business. In those situations - newbie band friends and families seldom turn into regulars. Newbie bands tend to draw ONLY a smattering of friends and family. Worse, the quality of most newbie bands tends to keep the smatting of friends and family for a set or two - while driving out whatever regular crowd might have been there.

I suspect a pretty good argument can be made the newbie band approach can hold down expenses - but does virtually nothing to drive revenue - which as pretty much any business owner will tell you is the key to success. Without a growing revenue stream - you can cut expenses all you want - the result is the same - you're out of business.

• Members

I have the CD, they were on their way up but then the singer died in the passenger seat of Vince Neil's car while they were making a beer run.

Being in the passenger seat with Vince Neil is apparently a bad place to be. Razzle, the drummer from Hanoi Rocks, also died during a beer run with Vince back in late 1984.

• Members
I suspect a pretty good argument can be made the newbie band approach can hold down expenses - but does virtually nothing to drive revenue - which as pretty much any business owner will tell you is the key to success. Without a growing revenue stream - you can cut expenses all you want - the result is the same - you're out of business.

Yes, and this is what so many bars fold- for whatever reason, they decide they have to cut costs and the 300 dollar band looks like a great idea. When they realize it isn't, they are too far into the downward death spiral to be able to afford anything else. I've seen it here time and time again, and again, and again.

Archived