When are you "too old" ?

badhabit

• Members

Young and dumb ,, no great loss ,, get you a real woman to sing for your band.... no kids allowed.

Yeah, but where are they???

How many older chicks are on this forum for starters, reminiscing and looking for a comeback, like the rest of us old guys.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a different problem in that I feel I'm young enough to play, but way too old to start. I feel my playing is the best that it's ever been, but I haven't played in a band in over 20 years. If I talk to a band about playing with them, the question always is 'What bands have you played with?' and I don't have a good answer.

Any ideas how I can get things started?

• Members

I'm 53 ... gigging regularly. My only concessions to age are that I now sit while I'm playing (can't stand like a flaming while working pedals like I used to). I can still load in and load out with the best of 'em.

I intend to do this as long as I can still sell the gigs.

• Members

....the question always is 'What bands have you played with?' and I don't have a good answer.

Any ideas how I can get things started?

Yep ... tell 'em who you played with 20 years ago. Groups of nobodies typically don't worry all that much about which group of nobodies the nobody looking for a gig played with. They ain't gonna be checking references. At the level you're looking to get into - the question about "what bands have you played with" is intended to weed out those that have zero band experience.

• Members

I'm 40... look 30 and even though cancer has slowed me down a bit, it hasn't deadened my entusiasm. I'm never too old, just sometimes over committed.

BTW the average age of my band now is 39 (7 guys-3 over 40, two just hitting it and our new guitar/skeyboard player who is 36).

It's all in the attitude! Feel younger, and you'll present a younger image...

nutsweddingband.jpg

• Members

There was an older gentleman who lived in my neighborhood named Nick Ponos. He had been a jazz drummer with some big-band outfits in the 40s & 50s.

I got to know him later in his life and during my college days, waited on he & his family regularly at the restaurant where I worked. He was as friendly & generous as anyone I've ever known & loved to talk about his glory days playing music.

Nick (he hated being called Mr. Ponos) still played out with a group of older guys (60-80 mostly) doing big-band & dixieland jazz. One night, they were playing at Waterstreet Restaurant, a place I've done a lot of acoustic dates.

They finished their set, Nick stood up, walked off stage, & collapsed. He was gone. IIRC he was in his mid 80s.

I can't think of a better way to go out.

• Members

Just turned 43 a few weeks ago, have been playing out for about 20 years now and have always been the 'yungun' of all the bands I've played in. Like SpaceNorman and Cooter, I'm a sit down keyboard player, but I've been known to get very animated during solos. Playing out is a blast for me and I have no plans on retiring from this anytime soon:thu:

• Members

I'm 32 so it hasn't affected me yet.

STill, I personnaly think nothing rocks more than an old dude with a guitar, when he looks honest and doesn't try to do the punk kid.

David Gilmour comes to mind...

Never stop playing, and don't give a {censored} about people who are judging you... That's what being a rocker is all about.

• Members

My dad passed away of a heart attack at age 77 right after loading in to play ,,,, died tuning up his gibby ebo. the man died with his bass i his hands..... they had just loaded into an old folks home to play for the residents. You are never too old to play and entertain people.

:thu:

• Members

When I was young, older guys couldn't play most venues because they were rooted in the music of the 1940s.

When I was a teenager in the 70s I had my first band playing current rock covers, but I also gained a lot of great experience by sitting in and playing piano with these 3 older guys who played country and 50s rock at a local bar on Saturday nights.

There's a lot to be said for cross-generational stuff. I understand the young girl in your band not wanting to do 60s R&B but she's also missing out on a good learning experience as well.

• Members

I'm 48, with some great gigs behind me, but I believe the best are yet to come. I think I'm still on the uphill with my playing, I'm still improving and haven't peaked yet. I hope.

I rarely see bands populated with guys younger than me, in fact most of the bar bands around here that I see probably average 55 or so in age. All the really good players I know are 50+. But then, I'm not hangin' at the clubs with the 20-something crowds either. As far as I know, most of those places don't even hire live music anymore, the younger crowd just isn't into it that much....

• Members

As far as I know, most of those places don't even hire live music anymore, the younger crowd just isn't into it that much....

Depends on the region. There is still a live music market for younger crowds, just ask Grant and NIAB. There are 2 bars in my area that have live music where the crowd is mostly under 30 and both are pretty packed to the gills every weekend. The rest of the bars with live music in this area are mostly the 35+ range though.

Things might change down the road for the better. Don't underestimate the power of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Both are introducing a lot of younger people to Rock and Roll instead of Hip Hop.

• Members

When I was a teenager in the 70s I had my first band playing current rock covers, but I also gained a lot of great experience by sitting in and playing piano with these 3 older guys who played country and 50s rock at a local bar on Saturday nights.

There's a lot to be said for cross-generational stuff. I understand the young girl in your band not wanting to do 60s R&B but she's also missing out on a good learning experience as well.

I tried to figure out a way to convince her of that, but there was a lot about this business that she couldn't hear.

She's gone.

I agree with your cross-generational idea. Even a few years makes a big difference. When I was in school, we were all the same age. When I graduated, everyone in the next band had a few years on a me, and more importantly, had been playing different circuits and listening to and playing different styles. Big learning curve for me 24-7, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

• Members

Just keep doing it until you physically can't. You'll have created a great life full of experiences; years and scars. It'll be cool to be 60 years old, and be the legendary elder statesman who's been in the scene for decades. Don't let ANYTHING stifle your passions, and that includes societal expectations of age.

• Members

I play with a lap steel player who is 75 with bum hips. He walks with either two canes or a walker, depending on the day, and wheels his amp, guitar, mic/stand, folding stool, etc. in on a flat dolly. He sets up his stuff, then proceeds to play his ass off. :thu:

Any other questions? :confused:

IMO, the question should be, what will your gig evolve into when you're body won't cooperate with the physical requirements of putting on a big rock show. :)

• Members

I'll play 'til they pry my guitar out of my cold dead fingers. :mad:

I can't imagine quitting. I'm 44 now, so I'm on the young side of this thread, but I have no intention of packing it in, ever.

Lately, it's getting harder to rebound after a full weekend and Sundays are becoming lazier than before, but maybe that's a good thing anyway. Learning to relax and just hang out is something I personally need to work on in general.

I've noticed that the full-night acoustic gigs are getting a little tougher on the hands though... might have to start cheating and drag the Variax out for a song or two to break things up... and might have to start using a capo occasionally instead of stubbornly insisting on playing barre chords for everything... LOL!

So, I'll adapt over time, but I ain't never hanging it up, til the man upstairs decides to call me home to play for Him in person, so to speak. :lol:

Archived