Shot and edited this with no budget

botkiller

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea man, seriously. The guy is a well of knowledge if you're willing to listen.

I already told bluestrat and Gdan I was sorry if I took anything they said out of context. Gdan accepted (because he's not a troll), Bluestrat chose to continue being a patronizing trollbag. I'll stray away from a well of knowledge polluted with his ilk, thanks.

• Members

I already told bluestrat and Gdan I was sorry if I took anything they said out of context. Gdan accepted (because he's not a troll), Bluestrat chose to continue being a patronizing trollbag. I'll stray away from a well of knowledge polluted with his ilk, thanks.

Why must you be such an angry young man, when your future looks quite bright to me? :)

• Members

Why must you be such an angry young man, when your future looks quite bright to me?
:)

Hey, I said I was sorry. I'll say it again, just like I did two pages ago:

"I'm sorry if I took anything anyone said out of context, thanks for watching".

K, we good now? Thanks :)

• Members

My band also produced a fairly pro looking video with an almost nil budget.

But like the OP, it was dependent completely upon generously loaned talent, equipment, facilities, and selfless help of many friends in the local music/art community. In fact, a poster here on BSWTB (whose username I am pathetically failing at recalling) posted in a thread here that his girlfriend was involved in it.

I honestly can't assess what it should have cost us.

Here's what an article written by a friend which describes the whole thing with better eloquence than I ever could: Local Slice Magazine.

• Members

My band also produced a fairly pro looking video with an almost nil budget.

But like the OP, it was dependent completely upon generously loaned talent, equipment, facilities, and selfless help of many friends in the local music/art community. In fact, a poster here on BSWTB (whose username I am pathetically failing at recalling) posted in a thread here that his girlfriend was involved in it.

I honestly can't assess what it should have cost us.

Here's what an article written by a friend which describes the whole thing with better eloquence than I ever could:

Nice! Where can I see the video? I searched but only found you playing it live.

• Members

Nice! Where can I see the video? I searched but only found you playing it live.

We haven't published it yet, since we wanted to have a release party for those involved, and had a series of shows that just weren't right to drop it at.

The party's scheduled for next weekend. I'll try to remember to throw it up here after that.

• Members
I don't give a rat's ass about attaboys, especially from sour, jaded fools like bluestrat. All I'm doing is putting it out there so people can watch it, and show what you CAN do, even when you're just a working band in your hometown.

So you're just trying the get the video's view count up?

• Members

We haven't published it yet, since we wanted to have a release party for those involved, and had a series of shows that just weren't right to drop it at.

The party's scheduled for next weekend. I'll try to remember to throw it up here after that.

Awesome, I'd love to see it.

• Members

So how many of those 2,000 views were simply you clicking on it as much as possible?

Five (one for each band member's home IP address). Youtube tracks IPs, and we haven't cheated our numbers at all. Believe me, if I wanted to cheat the numbers like Myspace, I could. I don't want that. I want the views to go up organically, which is exactly what's been happening. All we've done is promote hard via twitter, our drunk dial line, facebook, newsletter, etc. etc.

• Members

So how much more publicity does 2,000 hits get you in the world of YouTube where millions of hits is not unheard of? And what sort of publicity does a lot of hits get a band?

I'm not trying to be snide, BTW, even though I know it sounds like that. I'm actually asking in all sincerity because I really don't know {censored} about YouTube.

• Members
Five (one for each band member's home IP address). Youtube tracks IPs, and we haven't cheated our numbers at all. Believe me, if I wanted to cheat the numbers like Myspace, I could. I don't want that. I want the views to go up organically, which is exactly what's been happening. All we've done is promote hard via twitter, our drunk dial line, facebook, newsletter, etc. etc.

Well, in spite of our pissing match, I still think you have a good band and wish you all the success you can get. :wave:

• Members

So how much more publicity does 2,000 hits get you in the world of YouTube where millions of hits is not unheard of? And what sort of publicity does a lot of hits get a band?

I'm not trying to be snide, BTW, even though I know it sounds like that. I'm actually asking in all sincerity because I really don't know {censored} about YouTube.

No worries.

So the first thing I'd say would be that to hit over 2,000 views in a week is a pretty big feat - usually it takes a much larger subscriber base to hit a number like that - we didn't have many when we started this, as we hadn't yet had something really worth it for youtube.

The next thing I would say is that, the extra views in this case lead to a lot, because of converting those people from watchers to fans, which has been happening. Our newsletter and facebook visits have gone up 75% with this video, both of which already had good numbers.

So the answer is that on Youtube, it's not yet a big hit (by youtube numbers) - but getting youtube frontpage spotlight isn't really something that happens for anything but really stupid videos, on average. Also, your average Video on youtube actually doesn't hit millions of views. An average YT video hits maybe a few thousand over six months.

What I want is to get over 10,000 views, because that is Youtube partner worthy - that's when you start getting paid a portion of the ad money that comes into youtube from the views on your video, as long as you keep publishing content, which we plan to do. I very much want to reach that, and we're on a good road to getting there. The trick is to keep building, which gets views, subscribers, comments, and then youtube partnership. I have accounts with YT partnership that bring in a few hundred dollars a month, and that will be very useful for a working band.

I'm happy to answer other questions if you want; I do SEO (search engine optimization) and social networking/advertising and I'm pretty into this stuff.

• Members

Well, in spite of our pissing match, I still think you have a good band and wish you all the success you can get.
:wave:

Then I wish you the same, and let's move on. I certainly didn't want to make enemies, here, and after all, we're all working musicians. Thanks for saying so, and I'm sorry for anything sour I've said.

• Members

Then I wish you the same, and let's move on. I certainly didn't want to make enemies, here, and after all, we're all working musicians. Thanks for saying so, and I'm sorry for anything sour I've said.

It's all good. I can be a dick sometimes. Anyone here can tell you that.

I just read some of your blog entries, and I agree about the internet and paying for music ones. Good stuff!

Archived