Shot and edited this with no budget

botkiller

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool video! Nice quality, and for some odd reason I absolutely love all the cables on the floor.

My video guy uses his Canon 7D for most everything now, even though he has three pro HD cameras at his fingertips. Here's a sample of his shoots: http://www.zapposinsights.com/main/about/

I am constantly blown away by the new gear that is coming out!

Nice job!

• Members

Thank you guys!

We often say that we're like new order, twisted sister, and dead kennedys in a blender, on "awesome" :)

Thank you all for watching. I'm happy to offer insight on shooting like this, if anyone's interested. I'm a big believer in musicians being able to do what they are good at :)

• Members

Cool video! Nice quality, and for some odd reason I absolutely love all the cables on the floor.

My video guy uses his Canon 7D for most everything now, even though he has three pro HD cameras at his fingertips. Here's a sample of his shoots:

I am constantly blown away by the new gear that is coming out!

Nice job!

I know, right? All this new tech is amazing!

• Members

Leaving aside comments on the music, I'm not sure why I'd want to watch a video of a band playing in a warehouse, other than "its a video".

I mean it looks "pro" in that its in good resolution and well lit but otherwise theres not a lot going on artisticly other than some stock band video camera angles.

• Members

Leaving aside comments on the music, I'm not sure why I'd want to watch a video of a band playing in a warehouse, other than "its a video".

I mean it looks "pro" in that its in good resolution and well lit but otherwise
theres not a lot going on artisticly other than some stock band video camera angles

Why do you think those angles became stock for rock vids? prolly because they work.

• Members

Why do you think those angles became stock for rock vids? prolly because they work.

They may well work at some level, but the fact is, video demands more and more innovation and difference to be noticed. Just like no one wants to watch 50 versions of successful films "Titanic" or "Braveheart", no one wants to watch endless varieties of something that's been done 100 times before.

I notice the vast majority of comments here are that the video looks great but I see very few comments praising the concept.

• Members

@bluestrat: I don't care what anyone thinks about the concept. Firstly, I shot this video in one day, using a location that I liked, that fit the concept that WE came up with. If you don't like it, well, I honestly don't care ;) I like what we did, in the time we had.

The goal was to make a video that showcases the band. I did that. The goal was to make it look REALLY GOOD. I did that. The goal was to make a video that fit the band's persona, and music, and to showcase the look of the band's look (OH NO! We're not just dudes in T-shirts! Whatever will I do!!) - I did that. If I wanted an OK GO style video with a one shot of the band doing some dance routine, I would have shot it, but I didn't have the budget, nor the time, for that. So, you'll just have to get over that, thanks. As I usually say, feel free to do better than me, and then give me a shout ;) Until then, thanks for watching.

@dukeofboom: The last thing I really care for is prejudice about what a person looks like, so, I'm gonna go ahead and ignore you. I'm sure you'll {censored} a brick when I tell you that our lead singer is gay, our guitarist Bi, our bassist is a professional Dominator in the BDSM scene, and we're a band that's been referred to as "Queercore", with a very large following in the Gay/Lesbian/Trans-gendered community. If your hangups are that superficial, well, whatever. Have fun with that.

Thanks again for all the views; we've hit nearly 1500 in less than three days.

• Members

I mean it looks "pro" in that its in good resolution and well lit but otherwise theres not a lot going on artisticly other than some stock band video camera angles.

Heh, but you already did watch it, so, too late!

• Members

what about the lenses?

I'll have to look up what lenses we used, I know we shot on a lot of 50mm, and we had some really nice macro lenses that we brought in as well thanks to David Lynch Photography. I'll find out the specs, and let you know. As for the cost, you can get a good 50mm lens for a few hundred bucks.

Typically, you can get more lenses for nikon cameras than Canon, as their lens adapter is much more universal. As for the difference in the cameras; The Nikon is newer, and has deeper blacks, I think. The canon is great with quick movements. A lot of the zooming/frantic action movements were done with the Canon.

I like both, I'd get the Nikon if cost is an issue. $1200 for a camera that can do all this is crazy!

• Members

Video looks fantabulous but I don't know if $6000+ worth of cameras is necessarily budget friendly.

I suppose what I mean is, if you are able to get your hands on one of these, and they are FAR more common than your average pro-grade video camera - you can shoot something like this.

If you were looking to buy a camera, as I say, the Nikon D7000 is $1200. I happen to have had access to three cameras, but the only reason for that is that I know people with them.

What I'm saying is, these types of cameras are much more common now, many people buy them just to shoot some small pictures, but they have in their hands something that can really make an amazing video for what would usually cost you at least ten grand to rent from a production house, much less knowing how to use it. I agree that $6000 worth of gear is outside most people's range; but again, with the cost that a Nikon is now, plus a good 50mm lens and a $150 light kit (literally what we used), you have something you can produce some great stuff from.

Just my thought. I've been shooting DIY no budget film for over fifteen years, and this is still more cost effective than when I was buying pro-sumer digital DV cameras.

• Members

@dukeofboom: The last thing I really care for is prejudice about what a person looks like, so, I'm gonna go ahead and ignore you. I'm sure you'll {censored} a brick when I tell you that our lead singer is gay, our guitarist Bi, our bassist is a professional Dominator in the BDSM scene, and we're a band that's been referred to as "Queercore", with a very large following in the Gay/Lesbian/Trans-gendered community. If your hangups are that superficial, well, whatever. Have fun with that.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wtf?

• Members

DukeOfBoom: There should be no "wtf?" necessary.

You know you're a bigot, right? Every chance you have to bash anyone that seems even remotely GLBT you take (with aplomb, I might add). I mean, you started a thread over in the singer's forum expressly for the purpose of making fun of transsexuals.

You seem pretty okay with it, enough to seem to think that most people are like you, so why not just own the fact queers of all types bug you?

Just sayin'...

On topic: Love the video, botkiller. Think the singer could be more dynamic vocally, IMO, but enjoyed it anyway. :)

Brian V.

Archived