Shot and edited this with no budget

botkiller

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are many consumer level DSLR's that can do full 1080P video for les than $1K so this level of video if available to a lot of us and with software so readely available, I am sure it can be done if someone really wants to put the work in. I think the major point of the OP is that THEY were able to do it with their connections and friends, and hard work and if one is willing to put in the work, we can make it work as well.

Just look at their whole package, look, great website, presence in all social networks, and a clear goal in mind. If they don't make it, it will have nothing to do with lack of effort and even if the music is not my cup of tea, they got my attention and for that, they deserve props!

Rod

• Members

The video and band are very good. The title is deceptive. I suppose I can put on an outdoor show for 1000 people for free since I already own the lights and sound, but I had to own the lights and sound so that might be included in the budget discussion. The budget should include the cost of the cameras, location, editing suite, computer and time. So the fact that this is a pro quality video is accurate, the no budget part might be misleading.

Again, great video and interesting band. Good job.

• Members

........This IMO scares some people in the industry because the are losing control. They can no longer take their toys and go home if you don't play nice... I see this attitude alot from people 45-50 yrs old and up in the industry. (BTW this can fly way OT so I will stop but it is very true. Much of the old guard likes the way it is, not the way it is becoming.)

Good, I hope the leeches are scared...Tell em to go suck off some other professions talent. That's all they are good at. Playing middleman and stealing profits. Bands don't need labels anymore, and that's a beautiful thing.

When they can no longer hide behind someone elses talent, I have a good idea where they can put their toys ;)

Those who can do, Those who can't teach, Those who can't do either, become label execs.

• Members

I think it comes down to what kind of friends you have.... young people who are still around the college scene can and do have access to people who can shoot this quality of video. Like anything ,, its all about how well you network and how good you are at pullin in your chits when you need a favor. I think that was the whole theme of the OP's post...You can pull off great things without getting off the long dollars.

That's all that I'm saying; you can pull off great things without spending tons of money. I don't mean that you have to have access to the gear that I did. As I say, I WAS LUCKY! I was originally planning on shooting this in the simplest of forms with very little lights, location, or camera gear. I happen to know people with great gear and talent, that helped. But, if you don't have access to that, you can still do great things to promote your band without having to go pay huge amounts of money to someone who doesn't care about your project.

To those who have watched; thank you! Even if it's not your cup of tea, I'm glad to have the input.

As for the look; we all have our own look in the band, really. We just happen to come together in ways that coincide, with being more dressy/etc. Either way I'm glad that having a look is something that stands out.

Thank you to all who are watching and commenting. I am a serious "fan" of the working musician. I am one, and I champion those that do it, too. I believe that they all deserve good treatment, which is why I do want to be able to say that you CAN do big things for your band, if you want to.

• Members

The video and band are very good. The title is deceptive. I suppose I can put on an outdoor show for 1000 people for free since I already own the lights and sound, but I had to own the lights and sound so that might be included in the budget discussion. The budget should include the cost of the cameras, location, editing suite, computer and time. So the fact that this is a pro quality video is accurate, the no budget part might be misleading.

Again, great video and interesting band. Good job.

Thank you! My title is mostly just saying that, I did shoot it without spending tons of money. I agree that it is deceptive because, obviously the gear is worth plenty that was used on this - but also keep in mind that outside of that, I produced many parts of it without spending money, such as location, wardrobe, makeup, sound playback, creative aspects, things like that. Usually, you'd go to an advertising firm or other production house and say, "I want a music video". They'd charge you for the creative aspects, plus all the gear. What I'm saying is that if you want something, you can do much of it yourself, and keep your vision intact.

• Members

Watched. I thought that it looked very pro. I can see no difference between this and something else on MTV, etc...(obviously there are some extremely high budget things, but you get the idea). The band is good, reminds me of Kill Hannah or Placebo. In a "glam" band where image is at least 60%, I think that the singer, the girl and the drummer, have the look. Perfect. The bass player and the guitar player do not. I know that is superficial, but Duran Duran, U2, et al were all good looking. Just saying...If you are the guitarist or bass player, apologies.

Heh, no - I'm the drummer :) I do feel that everyone in the band is pretty good looking though :p

• Members

What I'm getting out of this is that the OP believes that I should be able to find pro or semi-pro videographers in my area who would be willing to make me a promo video for next to nothing so they can add it to their portfolio. Personally, I'm not in the business of undercutting pros - as a musician, photographer, woodworker, soccer coach, and definitely not as a piano technician. Lots of threads on this topic . . . . .

As far as DIY, it's easy to underestimate the aesthetics of this project. You might be able to borrow equipment, but learning how to use lights, select wardrobe, determine shooting angles, consider background, etc. takes a lot of practice and, frankly, some talent.

Having said all that, I don't think most of us need something this good. I expect Dave's project, which contains mostly live footage from various venues, is all we need to help us get more gigs (assuming that is its primary purpose.)

I'm not just _saying_ that, I'm saying you CAN. I'm also saying that if you can't, you CAN make something yourself that will blow plenty of minds - but the first step is WANTING to do that.

That's all people! I'm saying have faith in yourself and your music!

• Members

@bluestrat: I don't care what anyone thinks about the concept. Firstly, I shot this video in one day, using a location that I liked, that fit the concept that WE came up with. If you don't like it, well, I honestly don't care
;)
I like what we did, in the time we had.

The goal was to make a video that showcases the band. I did that. The goal was to make it look REALLY GOOD. I did that. The goal was to make a video that fit the band's persona, and music, and to showcase the look of the band's look (OH NO! We're not just dudes in T-shirts! Whatever will I do!!) - I did that. If I wanted an OK GO style video with a one shot of the band doing some dance routine, I would have shot it, but I didn't have the budget, nor the time, for that. So, you'll just have to get over that, thanks. As I usually say, feel free to do better than me, and then give me a shout
;)
Until then, thanks for watching.

Please dont pull out the "Well I dont care what YOU think" and "Lets see YOU do better then!" tantrum cards just because you posted your work and somebody gave you the most gentle, softball criticism ever.

• Members

Cool video! Nice quality, and for some odd reason I absolutely love all the cables on the floor.

That was going to be my comment as well... maybe it lends an air of authenticity. On some tv shows bands perform (lip-sync) and do not even go through the trouble plugging cords into anything. It's one of those things that when you see it, you kind of can't "un-see" it if you know what I mean.

Anyways to the OP - great job on the video - I am an older dude (42) but I really dug the tune and the look of the band.

• Members

Please dont pull out the "Well I dont care what YOU think" and "Lets see YOU do better then!" tantrum cards just because you posted your work and somebody gave you the most gentle, softball criticism ever.

Got it. Next time someone calls what I worked on bland, I'll make sure to roll over and take it ;)

• Members

the guy threw up the video ,,, Everyone who has seen it knows damb well its good. The thing I find kinda funny is that when someone puts up somthing that is really good and way above average ,, people nit pick it to death ,, if its not that good they tell them how good it is ,,, LOL typical HC

• Members

I added another view this evening.....Awesome job, and then you consider the time, cost and the tools...an amazing job. Liked the song, liked the band, liked the video..... You scored with this one....hope it does well for you.

Thanks much! Glad you liked it!

• Members

That was going to be my comment as well... maybe it lends an air of authenticity. On some tv shows bands perform (lip-sync) and do not even go through the trouble plugging cords into anything. It's one of those things that when you see it, you kind of can't "un-see" it if you know what I mean.

Anyways to the OP - great job on the video - I am an older dude (42) but I really dug the tune and the look of the band.

Thanks! We made the decision to skip amps, but have the instruments running into the darkness behind us. The amps would have just eaten up the space, but the cables were a really fun aspect of the shoot. Glad you liked it!

• Members

the guy threw up the video ,,, Everyone who has seen it knows damb well its good. The thing I find kinda funny is that when someone puts up somthing that is really good and way above average ,, people nit pick it to death ,, if its not that good they tell them how good it is ,,, LOL typical HC

I'm ok with people thinking whatever they want, that's ok. I don't even really remember what Bluestrat said at this point, so I'll just say, "meh". :)

• Members

Got it. Next time someone calls what I worked on bland, I'll make sure to roll over and take it
;)

So which is it, do you care that he called it "bland" or do you "not care ;)" as you keep repeatedly trying to remind us?

It just comes off as childish and unproffessional to eagerly devour every bit of good feedback that comes your way but get all pissy as soon as someone posts a (fairly gentle) criticism. Believe me, youre going to hear a LOT worse at some point.

• Members

Got it. Next time someone calls what I worked on bland, I'll make sure to roll over and take it
;)

I didn't say the video was bland. I said it was quite good, in fact. I said the concept was not very good. It is an opinion, nothing more, but one I stand by. But since obviously you aren't looking for opinions that might make you an even better band, but rather attaboys, let me just say: "Wow, that's {censored}ing fabulous! You're great! You got nothing to work on! Martin Scorsese had better watch out! " etc etc. Is that what you want to hear?

Gdan is right. If what I said bothered you, you better get out now, because the farther up the chain you go, the more merciless the criticism is going to get and the more cutthroat it will become. I was not trying to be dismissive of you, or belittle you, I was trying to offer you a constructive criticism that a pretty darn good band (which you are) that is trying for something new isn't going to be helped in the long run by putting out something that's been done many times before, no matter how slickly produced it is. You certainly aren't going to be helped by embracing nothing but praise. The most successful guys I know are ones who analyze criticism and ask themselves if there might be truth to it rather than dismiss it in favor of nothing but praise.

You already know your strengths. That video is well made by any standard. I never argues that it isn't. But don't be afraid to look at the liabilities you may have as a person, a musician, and a band. It is the neglect of your liabilities that will hinder your success, and focusing on nothing but the positives won't make them go away. If anything, it will magnify them as you progress. I found this out the hard way more than once.

I really do wish you good luck. I'm happy when anyone does anything that gives them a leg up and makes some progress. Certainly, it's probably better that I could do, but I'm not the one putting video of my band up to be judged by my peers, you are. I'm not the one trying to be anything with my music anymore, you are. I don't care to go any farther than I am now, at this point in my life. I've already toured for years and made a living doing this (such as it was) and have no further interest in it. Forgive me for thinking there might be some things you could do better to benefit you and assuming you wanted to hear it. Clearly, you aren't interested in criticism, but maybe one day you will be. I didn't and don't want to argue with you, just explain myself and why I made the comments I did.

I will bow out of this thread and again, wish you the best.

• Members

So which is it, do you care that he called it "bland" or do you "not care ;)" as you keep repeatedly trying to remind us?

It just comes off as childish and unproffessional to eagerly devour every bit of good feedback that comes your way but get all pissy as soon as someone posts a (fairly gentle) criticism. Believe me, youre going to hear a LOT worse at some point.

Sorry. I didn't want to be bitchy. I'm glad you guys watched and gave your input.

• Members

I didn't say the video was bland. I said it was quite good, in fact. I said the concept was not very good. It is an opinion, nothing more, but one I stand by. But since obviously you aren't looking for opinions that might make you an even better band, but rather attaboys, let me just say: "Wow, that's {censored}ing fabulous! You're great! You got nothing to work on! Martin Scorsese had better watch out! " etc etc. Is that what you want to hear?

Gdan is right. If what I said bothered you, you better get out now, because the farther up the chain you go, the more merciless the criticism is going to get and the more cutthroat it will become. I was not trying to be dismissive of you, or belittle you, I was trying to offer you a constructive criticism that a pretty darn good band (which you are) that is trying for something new isn't going to be helped in the long run by putting out something that's been done many times before, no matter how slickly produced it is. You certainly aren't going to be helped by embracing nothing but praise. The most successful guys I know are ones who analyze criticism and ask themselves if there might be truth to it rather than dismiss it in favor of nothing but praise.

You already know your strengths. That video is well made by any standard. I never argues that it isn't. But don't be afraid to look at the liabilities you may have as a person, a musician, and a band. It is the neglect of your liabilities that will hinder your success, and focusing on nothing but the positives won't make them go away. If anything, it will magnify them as you progress. I found this out the hard way more than once.

I really do wish you good luck. I'm happy when anyone does anything that gives them a leg up and makes some progress. Certainly, it's probably better that I could do, but I'm not the one putting video of my band up to be judged by my peers, you are. I'm not the one trying to be anything with my music anymore, you are. I don't care to go any farther than I am now, at this point in my life. I've already toured for years and made a living doing this (such as it was) and have no further interest in it. Forgive me for thinking there might be some things you could do better to benefit you and assuming you wanted to hear it. Clearly, you aren't interested in criticism, but maybe one day you will be. I didn't and don't want to argue with you, just explain myself and why I made the comments I did.

I will bow out of this thread and again, wish you the best.

honestly, I'm not in the mood to argue. I've taken criticism from all manner of producers, musicians, and everyone inbetween, I have no problem with it, nor do I want people to kiss my ass, so please, don't, and thanks for not. I'd prefer constructive criticism, but you know, that's up to the criticizer ;)

Thanks for watching.

Archived