Shot and edited this with no budget

botkiller

• Members

Can I buy you a beer?
:)

I'll be PMing you probably tomorrow about this.

Sure! My band has constantly gotten flack in our "scene" because we "work too hard" and "promote too much", which I find hilarious. Most bands just want you to be another jackoff who thinks it all just gets handed to you. I, however, think that musicians who work hard get good treatment. I did a vlog series for awhile called "being a successful musician", where I talk shop, tricks, things like that, for the working musician.

Let's talk, I'm happy to help.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's all good. I can be a dick sometimes. Anyone here can tell you that.

I just read some of your blog entries, and I agree about the internet and paying for music ones. Good stuff!

I'm VERY much the same way, so no worries. Again, I'm sorry for being a dick, too. Thanks for reading the vlogs. I really do believe that musicians deserve good treatment. A pet project of mine is a "union" (without the teamsters :p ) that'll push for better treatment of musicians.

Anyway, thanks; let's keep in touch. Thank you for the olive branch :)

• Members

What struck me most forcefully watching your video is this: your guitarists and bassists are incongruous. They don't fit in with the rest of the band. It was like, "Huh? Why do they have those metal guys in there?"

As far as incongruity goes, they said the same thing about Cheap Trick.

• Members

As far as incongruity goes, they said the same thing about Cheap Trick.

Bit of a difference though. "they" said it about Cheap Trick because Cheap Trick went out of their way to create and play up the incongruity.

Smart move if you have a couple of people whose look just simply isn't going to fit in otherwise.

• Members

What struck me most forcefully watching your video is this: your guitarists and bassists are incongruous. They don't fit in with the rest of the band. It was like, "Huh? Why do they have those metal guys in there?"

Well, here's the thing. The goal of the band is to have a fairly unified look, but not to stifle the independence of the members. We've all been punkers for most of our lives, but our styles are quite different. Kenny (bass) has always been a much more high-fashion type, and Chris (guitars, the brother of Jeff, the lead singer) has always been a Metal guy of sorts.

If we were to tell the other members to be more in line with how the rest of us look insofar as "wear this specifically", I don't think that we'd get the right performance out of them. As is is, I personally feel that their look is perfect with the rest of us. If we were to all wear suits a la The Hives, we'd have a too uniform look, IMHO.

Thanks for watching!

• Members

Man, this looks good. I love the cords everywhere. The music is not my cup of tea, but you guys look like you'd probably put on a pretty rocking live show.

Sarah

We do! Thank you for the comment. Here's some video from last night:

[video=youtube;OKMxePRJcIU]

We pride ourselves on our live show, and making sure people remember it. We're playing SxSW in March, I know you're in Houston, but if you make it out let me know!

• Members

Bit of a difference though. "they" said it about Cheap Trick because Cheap Trick went out of their way to create and play up the incongruity.

Smart move if you have a couple of people whose look just simply isn't going to fit in otherwise.

You got it sir ;)

Archived