Dad bands

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cant say as i like either one of those songs.. the first one sounded like she mixed up her valium and her vitamains. And the second one just didnt do anything for me. to be honest I pulled the plug on both before i got past the minute point. But if we had to ,, we would cover them for a wedding gig.

We won't do either of 'em. Not what my band does. But I'd much rather listen to stuff that pushes me in a new direction when I'm just sitting around listening to music rather than listen to the 750th coming of Janis Joplin.

• Members

We won't do either of 'em. Not what my band does. But I'd much rather listen to stuff that pushes me in a new direction when I'm just sitting around listening to music rather than listen to the 750th coming of Janis Joplin.

We are pretty lucky ,,we an do pretty much anything we want ,, as long as we play margarittavile every night, and the original stuff when its requested,, which is pretty well every night. I go on stage tonight at 8pm and have no freekin idea of what we will play tonight. its always an adventure lol.

• Members

My bosses daughter is going to see the Decemberists in Missoula Mt this Friday. Colin Meloy the Singer/songwriter grew up in Helena Mt.

• Members

Good stuff. I think Mr. Gaskin has listened to a few George Jones records in his day?

Yup, although it's more of a carbon copy of Travis Tritt. The other traditional country guy on the charts I forgot to mention earlier is Easton Corbin, who sounds exactly like 90's era George Strait:

[video=youtube;-0DgNSogiYU]

• Members
Or write your own damn songs, then your band can play them!

Some of us liked to gig regularly and liked to get paid to do so. A cover gig is most likely where that action is. ;) That said, I've been in original bands, I've written tunes, I've played them live, I've even gotten paid for a few things like that too. The thing that always surprised me was how much so-called "original" musicians really sneered at the guys playing cover gigs night after night in my town...the BEST palyers were the ones doing 15 gigs a month with three different bands- cover bands, country bands, jazz bands, original stuff- they were the real musicians out there. It usually only took a few years for some of those sneering guys got tired of playing 4th slot on some puke-a -palooza bill and going on at 1:30am, playing to 14 people through a bad sound system and started to see the value in maybe learning a few tunes and getting PAID once in awhile. Also many of them realized that they weren't that good to begin with and that their chances of "making it" were slim to none- so it started to look a little more like "fun" to rock some local bar and have everyone dancing and buying you free beer and going home with $100 in your pocket. And of course, that $100 can fund recording your original stuff as well....

• Moderators

Yup, although it's more of a carbon copy of Travis Tritt. The other traditional country guy on the charts I forgot to mention earlier is Easton Corbin, who sounds exactly like 90's era George Strait:

Ha, to me that sounds really modern.

• Members
Some of us liked to gig regularly and liked to get paid to do so. A cover gig is most likely where that action is.
;)
That said, I've been in original bands, I've written tunes, I've played them live, I've even gotten paid for a few things like that too. The thing that always surprised me was how much so-called "original" musicians really sneered at the guys playing cover gigs night after night in my town...the BEST palyers were the ones doing 15 gigs a month with three different bands- cover bands, country bands, jazz bands, original stuff- they were the real musicians out there. It usually only took a few years for some of those sneering guys got tired of playing 4th slot on some puke-a -palooza bill and going on at 1:30am, playing to 14 people through a bad sound system and started to see the value in maybe learning a few tunes and getting PAID once in awhile. Also many of them realized that they weren't that good to begin with and that their chances of "making it" were slim to none- so it started to look a little more like "fun" to rock some local bar and have everyone dancing and buying you free beer and going home with $100 in your pocket. And of course, that $100 can fund recording your original stuff as well....

actuallty I think where the action is ,, is to do both. Do covers and slide original songs into the show as well. You do have to write main stream stuff though to do that.

• Members

Some of us liked to gig regularly and liked to get paid to do so. A cover gig is most likely where that action is.
;)
That said, I've been in original bands, I've written tunes, I've played them live, I've even gotten paid for a few things like that too. The thing that always surprised me was how much so-called "original" musicians really sneered at the guys playing cover gigs night after night in my town...the BEST palyers were the ones doing 15 gigs a month with three different bands- cover bands, country bands, jazz bands, original stuff- they were the real musicians out there. It usually only took a few years for some of those sneering guys got tired of playing 4th slot on some puke-a -palooza bill and going on at 1:30am, playing to 14 people through a bad sound system and started to see the value in maybe learning a few tunes and getting PAID once in awhile. Also many of them realized that they weren't that good to begin with and that their chances of "making it" were slim to none- so it started to look a little more like "fun" to rock some local bar and have everyone dancing and buying you free beer and going home with $100 in your pocket. And of course, that $100 can fund recording your original stuff as well....

Someone was complaining about modern pop stuff being harder to cover for some guys with guitars, I was merely suggesting an alternative. Though I might put up a new thread with a discussion like this.

• Members
The wrong question is being asked here.

Bands get together and decide what they want to play. In some cases they decide based on what will make them the maximum amount of money. In some cases it's because they want to play music they love, and make a few extra bucks. In some cases it's a little bit of both. There's no better or worse motivation IMHO. You decide what you want to do and you do it. It's not right to assume lack of ambition, or laziness, or lack of integrity, or whatever, unless you personally know the person.

Once that has been determined, the object is to match the band to the crowd. If you play classic rock from the 70's, you're going to be a good fit for a bar with people between 40 and 60. If you play Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, etc, then you're a better fit for the 20 something crowd. Because believe me, the 50 year old dudes don't want to hear that stuff. It also depends why the people are there. If it's a bar where the 40 and 50 year old motorcycle dudes go to get loaded, then they want classic rock. If it's a wine bar, they want Elton John. I'm being Captain Obvious here but apparently it needed to be said.

As a solo performer I learned this lesson and went from $5 per hour to $50 per hour with the same set lists. I am a dad and I play Elton John, Billy Joel, CCR, James Taylor, Beatles, Gordon Lightfoot, and a whole bunch of other old stuff. So I can do a 3 hour gig and make $150, which is decent Dad Band money. And I only choose songs I really love. I'm having fun and getting paid more per hour than my day job. What's not to love?

BUT. With all of that said, I do agree that drawing a line in the sand at, say, 1979, is a little weird. I also play some Lyle Lovett songs released in the 2000's, I play some Ben Folds, I play Stevie Ray Vaughn, some Keane, Crowded House, REM, and other stuff that people in their 40's and 50's might like because I do. It's hardly today's Top 40 but it's not "Piano Man" either. Stevie Ray Vaughn goes over very big. Of course, he sort of sounded like the 70's anyway, but...

Anyway, that's my take.

:thu:

• Members

If those are the lyrics of a corporate sellout band, then Goldman Saks is a communist organization .

Considering the "pop" sound of later Doors material and the political bedfellows of the current crop of robber barons, both could be true.

• Members
actuallty I think where the action is ,, is to do both. Do covers and slide original songs into the show as well. You do have to write main stream stuff though to do that.

That was the so-called "conventional wisdom" I heard coming up as well, and in my experience it didn't work very well. Someone that has booked a top notch cover band (which I was in ;) ) to play a wedding for $3000 doesn't really want to hear your original stuff. Neither does the crowd at a pakced club on a Saturday night. The people that want to hear your original stuff are at the smaller clubs and are there to listen to the music and see what suits them. In my experience, it was okay to throw in an original or two if the crowd was on your side and it was a good night...and your material kind of fit with what else you were playing, but overall...we just got polite applause before moving into the next cover. :)

• Members
That was the so-called "conventional wisdom" I heard coming up as well, and in my experience it didn't work very well. Someone that has booked a top notch cover band (which I was in
;)
) to play a wedding for $3000 doesn't really want to hear your original stuff. Neither does the crowd at a pakced club on a Saturday night. The people that want to hear your original stuff are at the smaller clubs and are there to listen to the music and see what suits them. In my experience, it was okay to throw in an original or two if the crowd was on your side and it was a good night...and your material kind of fit with what else you were playing, but overall...we just got polite applause before moving into the next cover.
:)

I hear that ,,, i think the secret is to be able to write better songs. There is a difference between an amateur written song and one thats written by a gifted pro. Ya gotta figure ,, someone wrote those covers you are doing. Not sure if there is a magic bullet to it,,,, but I dont think a songwriter should lock himself into just an original music scene because thats doesnt get the music out there enough.

• Members

See, I disagree with this. Once your people have heard your originals a handful of times they will enjoy them just as much as the covers if they are decent songs.

"decent songs" is the key. If you toss out some crap and get a poor response.....

Also, you've got to be playing for the same people often enough that they can become familiar with the tunes.

• Members

"decent songs" is the key. If you toss out some crap and get a poor response.....

Also, you've got to be playing for the same people often enough that they can become familiar with the tunes.

this whole original thing is OT ,, and god knows we dont want it to go into the same old original vs cover spiral of death.

I think it takes a decent business plan. We play a good deal of oritinal music. Its no accident that our band leader planted himself in a beach resort town where tons of people from all over the country and world come and go every day,,, a good deal of them keep comming back. His model to get his music out there is to stay here and let the fans do the traveling to and from his home base. Its way cheaper than going on the road. Time will tell how it works out. the worst that it can do is he will have a really rip roaring bar to sell when he wants to retire and that aint so bad either. Ya gotta work smarter not harder

• Members

this whole original thing is OT ,, and god knows we dont want it to go into the same old original vs cover spiral of death.

I think it takes a decent business plan. We play a good deal of oritinal music. Its no accident that our band leader planted himself in a beach resort town where tons of people from all over the country and world come and go every day,,, a good deal of them keep comming back. His model to get his music out there is to stay here and let the fans do the traveling to and from his home base. Its way cheaper than going on the road. Time will tell how it works out. the worst that it can do is he will have a really rip roaring bar to sell when he wants to retire and that aint so bad either. Ya gotta work smarter not harder

I know a couple of guys who do a similar thing in Hawai'i. They'll just plant themselves on some remote island like Molokai'i but they build a rep among people who come back once a year or so, or they take the music back home with them and spread it around...they'll ocassionally go out to do a few bigger shows on Oahu...that sort of thing.

They'll probably never break into the big time but..it's a living and they are doing their music, so...ain't nothin' wrong with that!

• Members

I know a couple of guys who do a similar thing in Hawai'i. They'll just plant themselves on some remote island like Molokai'i but they build a rep among people who come back once a year or so, or they take the music back home with them and spread it around...they'll ocassionally go out to do a few bigger shows on Oahu...that sort of thing.

They'll probably never break into the big time but..it's a living and they are doing their music, so...ain't nothin' wrong with that!

I dont see hawaii as a good place to run that model. I do see south padre as a decent place. Its near austin and some good studio and session guys a producers and most of all well known songwriters and artists. You get lots of traffic from houston , and dallas the valley , and colorado and all over the place. we get invaded by people from the upper midwest in the winter. It aint a bad place to live either. Is it the ticket to be a rock star, who knows , but its sure as hell better than a lot of places. For a songwriter ,, its not a bad home base. If you write about the beach, the sun and the sand , its alot better place than atlanta GA. Toes in the gutter ass on the curb I buy my pot from a guy named herb

Archived