Local Radio Jock doesn't know who Gavin DeGraw is?!?

New Trail

• Members

Two things: 1. You didn't imply that with what you wrote - and 2. When was this? I think you're about my age, so that was probably over a decade ago.

1) To be accurate, I didn't imply that. You inferred it. :poke:

2) Yes, it was more than a decade ago: mid-80's to early/mid 90's. With the rapidly accelerating conglomeration of the biz since, could it really have changed THAT much since?

• Members

Well, if it is a "morning zoo" thing, then they could care less about the music....their job is to provide spoken content.

DeGraw's one big hit was back in 2k4....I Don't Wanna Be....theme for a teen show I think...so if some douchy ha ha monkey on the morning drive doesn't know who he is, ya gotta cut him some slack.

I mean, he might be into Coltrane and Holdsworth.:lol:;)

• Members

...A college professor once said this to me and it's something I will always remember: A TV show is only on the air so people can see the commercials. Same is true with commercial radio. The songs are only on the air so people can hear the commercials.....

Sounds pretty cynical when you read it like that!

• Members
Sounds pretty cynical when you read it like that!

Without ad revenue there is no radio to listen to or TV to watch. This statement always stuck with me and there is truth to that statement from a management/ business owner point of view. Maybe not from an artist standpoint though...

I wear many hats in my day job, one is responsible for the content of an off beat travel show. The other is producing TV commercials. I see both sides and money is the bottom line. Without ad revenue I can't send my crew (and myself) to a brewery to sample craft beer or to a comic-con to hang out with B-list actors. :thu:

With radio it's the same. No money no music.

• Members

Without ad revenue there is no radio to listen to or TV to watch. This statement always stuck with me and there is truth to that statement from a management/ business owner point of view. Maybe not from an artist standpoint though...

I wear many hats in my day job, one is responsible for the content of an off beat travel show. The other is producing TV commercials. I see both sides and money is the bottom line. Without ad revenue I can't send my crew (and myself) to a brewery to sample craft beer or to a comic-con to hang out with B-list actors.
:thu:

Well, it certainly makes sense economically, but can't we at least delude ourselves that we are 'artistes' and not just commercial or beer salesmen?

• Members

1) To be accurate, I didn't imply that. You inferred it. :poke:

Good point. And I appreciate that you know the difference between the two words. So many do not.

2) Yes, it was more than a decade ago: mid-80's to early/mid 90's. With the rapidly accelerating conglomeration of the biz since, could it really have changed THAT much since?

Conglomeration happened after you worked in radio, thanks to the Telecommunications Act of 1996. It's changed a TON since all the mergers, and not necessarily for the good, though some of it is really cool. Everything's digital now - all stations run on computer automation systems and are almost never run live, especially now in the age of streaming and iheartradio (at least in my company, Clear Channel). That's actually kind of cool, because you can focus more on content and putting together an interesting show instead of worrying about segging every song. I also don't miss tape machines and carts. I definitely don't miss cutting tape. That was tedious as hell. But playlists have become more and more standardized/homogenized, and radio has shed a lot of people who had lost their love for it. What's left now (mostly) are the people who want to be here, who truly love radio. Individual job duties usually are what two or more people would handle in the very recent past (example: I'm the sole production director for five radio stations here in market 37), and this makes it less fun than it used to be.

But I do love my job, and love my industry, even though it's not really what it once was, and I'm probably an idiot for posting all of this on a public forum, but I felt like sharing... :)

Brian V.

• Members

I wear many hats in my day job, one is responsible for the content of an off beat travel show. The other is producing TV commercials. I see both sides and money is the bottom line. Without ad revenue I can't send my crew (and myself) to a brewery to sample craft beer or to a comic-con to hang out with B-list actors.
:thu:

Very true, but no engaging programming content = no ratings = not enough money coming in = format change. So the two are very interconnected in radio.

Brian V.

• Members

God bless TIVO.
;)

True. Not to get too far away from the original post though but this is one of the reasons that tv shows are becoming increasingly filled with product placements. If consumers try to skip the commercials then advertisers place them smack dab in the middle of the program.

• Members

I never seem to know these people. My Wife and I have a running joke about me being the only person in the world who doesn't know who "insert name here" is. She on the other hand always seems to know who is who. I am so lost without her.

• Members

Booger.

YEAH! I wish they could release the fully-restored-to-original-music episodes of the show. It was a real letdown the last time they re-ran the show because it was all fake music they dubbed over (as in this clip).

That show made me really love radio when I was little.

Brian V.

• Members

YEAH! I wish they could release the fully-restored-to-original-music episodes of the show. It was a real letdown the last time they re-ran the show because it was all fake music they dubbed over (as in this clip).

Never happen; liscensing nightmare and nobody wants to play nice anymore.

• Members

Not to steer the thread away from the demise of radio---but I when I heard that Gavin Degraw was beaten up, I immediately thought "That doesn't surprise me."

I saw him opening for Collective Soul a couple of years ago at House of Blues. During his show he talked about how he had gotten into a bar fight the night before in my town and the guys from Collective Soul had his back.

There was a pretty decent crowd, and he obviously thought they were all there to see him. At the close of his set, he said, "Thank you all for coming. Collective Soul is coming up next. Please be respectful and hang around and have a listen."

As soon as he got off stage, a huge crowd rushed the stage and all of a sudden the place was wall to wall humanity. Collective Soul came out and blew the roof off the place, much to the delight of the 2,000 or so people who were asking each other, "who was that guy opening for Collective Soul?"

• Members

A lot of old TV shows are that way. They can't afford the licensing for all the songs used in the original episodes so they resort to putting them out on DVD or TV reruns with other crap that ruins the episode. I saw an old episode of Northern Exposure awhile back and was thinking WTF? with all the wrong music being used.

It's going to be a coming nightmare for fans of a lot of 90s/00s TV shows that rely so much on song-content to drive plotlines.

• Members

It's going to be a coming nightmare for fans of a lot of 90s/00s TV shows that rely so much on song-content to drive plotlines.

Actually, from what I've read it isn't going to be like that because the way they licensed the music for the shows changed once they realized people would buy boxed sets of their favorite shows (which actually started in the end of the VHS days). But the 70s and 80s shows that used a lot of music are screwed...you'll probably never see them released again.

Brian V.

• Members

Yep. The perception you must get across to your listeners is that it
IS
about music but in actuality it is not. it's about ad revenue.

A college professor once said this to me and it's something I will always remember: A TV show is only on the air so people can see the commercials. Same is true with commercial radio. The songs are only on the air so people can hear the commercials. .

I was told essentially the same in my Audio and Video production classes.

My instructor said the definition of a Television program was "the space that existed between the commercials" - it solely existed to take up the space between commercials from a marketing perspective.

Archived