venue staff and you

J.Paul

• Members

I've started distancing myself from servers and bartenders....

We lost a venue (huge club stopped using live bands) and I won't see the staff again....

or you go back to a place and someone has rotated out, or whatever.

Does anyone else do this?

I'm not talking about legitimate friends I've made along the way~ just staff, the people that are your partners for the night.

• Members

I've been playing one particular club with various projects for about four years now. I have seen quite a few bartenders and waitresses come and go. Some of them were really cool and always treated whatever band I was in very well. It's always sad to realize they aren't there anymore.

I look at it a different way. I celebrate our time together and appreciate each moment for what it is. That way, I can look back on those memories with fondness rather than regret.

• Members

I always try to stay on the good side of the entire staff if I can. You never know when that one waitress/bartender/manager will move to another club and convince the person that books the place to get your band in there. HOWEVER, I will not take undeserved bull{censored} from them either.

I had a manager of one club that hated my guts refer me to a band that was stuck without a soundguy for the night. Even though he hated me he knows that I'm good at sound and I keep in mind the bartenders & waitstaff being able to at least hear enough to take orders, and that I have the nuts to keep a band in check soundwise so he doesn't have to.

• Members

I always try to stay on the good side of the entire staff if I can. You never know when that one waitress/bartender/manager will move to another club and convince the person that books the place to get your band in there.

Indeed! My wife-to-be and I treated one waitress at the bar I mentioned pretty well. She moved to a competing bar that also has live entertainment and we again treated her well there. She is now the manager there and is responsible for booking bands. I am fairly certain our good vibes with her over the years is why she decided to give my new band a chance with two new gigs, especially since they are only booking every other weekend now. :thu:

• Members

I look at it a different way. I celebrate our time together and appreciate each moment for what it is. That way, I can look back on those memories with fondness rather than regret.

That's probably the best thing I've read in this forum in a year! Nicely stated and agreed 150%! We actually tip the bartender $20 soon as we walk in the door, and we always find out their name(s) and give them several shout outs throughout the night. MANY have been instrumental in getting us re-booked or booked at future bars they work at. This is all about positive networking.

• Members

That's probably the best thing I've read in this forum in a year! Nicely stated and agreed 150%! We actually tip the bartender $20 soon as we walk in the door, and we always find out their name(s) and give them several shout outs throughout the night. MANY have been instrumental in getting us re-booked or booked at future bars they work at. This is all about positive networking.

Given our typical bar tabs, a $20 tip would probably be an insult. ;)

• Members

Should you tip a waitress or bar tender when not drinking booze? (I hope I haven't been doing this wrong all this time. Just assumed that pop or coffee was different.)

I tip very well when I'm part of the audience.

• Members

Should you tip a waitress or bar tender when not drinking booze? (I hope I haven't been doing this wrong all this time. Just assumed that pop or coffee was different.)

You should be tipping me for having to see you refer to soda as "pop".

• Members

Why not. They are still having to get you a drink.

• Members

We had a venue we'd been doing for in the neighborhood of 20 years. A couple of the staff became real good friends. Not hang out type friends, but like good work friends who you see all the time and get to know real well. Management changed and cleaned house on the staff. Next time we went in there, all new bartenders, we were WTF. I called one of the guys up and he told me what happened.

I always find out who the manager and bartenders names are and make a point to talk with them. I think it fosters a good working relationship when you can do some general chit chat before or after the gig.

• Members

Most places now a days go through more managers and waitstaff that it's pointless to learn their names. I know the owners names and some of the waitstaff that has been there a while, but beyond that, I just introduce myself to the manager (if he/she is new) and confirm the night. And then I talk to them again to make sure sound isn't too loud etc, then at the end of the night to collect pay. 3 times all night :)

One place that no longer has live music, had a new manager or manager in training every time we played there. We always did well there, but not many of the other bands on schedule would.

As far as tipping. I haven't met a bartender yet that I felt deserved a tip where we play. We get a tab at exactly 1 venue that we play. So I tip them well. The others, my usual... if there's change you get that, if not then a buck (even when I buy a round for the band). When I have to pay $6 for a Sam Adams in Providence, tips aren't going to be plentiful. :-p

• Members

Why not. They are still having to get you a drink.

I like to start out every night with a 5 dollar to to the waitress or bartender since I'm drinking soda all night. That makes them want to wait on me when I go to the bar on break, and builds good will.

• Members

I have yet to meet a bartender/waitress in a club who is making their job a career. The wine bar/restaurant I play I've been doing since 1994. I've seen that staff turn over at least a dozen times since then. The current manager has been there for almost 11 years, but that's the exception. They've all been pretty good people.

• Members

You should only tip if you want to, but...personally, I don't drink alcohol and I pretty much always tip something, even if they are comping me water/soda all night long.

At the very least, I usually expect to pay for single drinks off-stage (before show start, during breaks) when I'm playing because honestly, some bar staff are totally clueless, and I'm not going to waste eneergy with the "I'm in the band" stuff when I just loaded in gear, set up, played soundcheck and am one of only 5 people in the venue the minute after doors open and I'm asking for a water, or I've just come off the stage...

So I always grab $ while they're getting my drink. Then if they comp me, it's that much easier to toss a couple bucks on the bar. They see that, then maybe it registers that they should take care of me later in the evening.

Of course, right ahead of a set/show start, I always ask for a pitcher of water or 'waters for the band', and grab as much/many as they give me and assume those will be comped.

Archived