Social Distortion: Can someone tell me about them?

New Trail

• Members

I've got a couple of their CDs (two because I bought the wrong one the first time!). I think the main guy is Mike Ness and the band originated in southern california, perhaps orange county. Real roots rock. They were perhaps part of a "revival" movement back in the late 80's or early 90's. I'd almost compare them to Stray Cats minus the guitar virtuosity and jazz infused chops of Brian Setzer. Perhaps louder, more intense and less commercial. One of their songs called "Born To Lose" was a radio hit in this area a number of years ago.

[video=youtube;P25xNLbNGWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P25xNLbNGWY

http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-guitar-hero-mike-ness

• Members

One of the foundations of the American punk music. The Ramones got all of the attention while bands like Social D and Bad Religon paved the way for Green Day and the mainstreaming of punk music. Their self titled 1990 album is seminal. It should be in every music lovers collection.

• Members

What do want to know?

That they've been around since the late 70's, that they were nobody and never-heard of until their first album 5 years later, that they straddle the line between punk and rockabilly and blues) often veering off to one side or the other, that they disbanded in the mid-80's because Ness was a junk addict, that their biggest songs (Ball & Chain, Story of My Life and their cover of Ring of Fire) came off of an album that's now more than 20 years old, or that they're currently still touring off their latest album which was released in January?

• Members

Yes, they originated in OC, first incarnations were sorta hardcore punkish. Mike Ness is frontman; longtime rhythm guitarist died a couple years back and was replaced, obviously. Have been doing a more rockabilly/roots oriented punk since the '90's.

Ness did some hard time in jail due to drug addiction.

Krash likee a lot. Ness is a poster boy for P-90 goldtops at this point, that's about all he ever plays.

• Members

The best term I've heard for their more accessible material: "cowpunk" :lol:

I have them on my potential set list, largely for the bass-baritone range, because there aren't many songs written for that range that also rock.

I like their version of "Ring of Fire", and have "Ball and Chain" and "Story of my Life" on there as well, with "Bad Luck" as another possibility.

Cool kids call the band "Social D".

That's about it.

• Members

Most importantly, you need to know that they're a great band, and every rock musician should own a copy of White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

Ness' solo album, Cheating at Solitaire, is also fantastic.

Consistently good albums - I'm a fan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

They used to be a punk act but they kinda stopped riding the dinosaur and started doing more heavy stuff that was a little more sludgy I guess. I'm not a huge fan because I kinda think their whole power chord, straight beat, guitar solo thing can get old after a while but I do listen to them sometimes.

I give then huge props for kinda keeping their head above water in mainstream, playing on conan, and still being recognized because rock and roll isn't really a popular genre in mainstream music right now.

Also don't quote this word for word because I'm not super educated on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just reserved one of their albums at the library, but it's not one named here. What's their hit-to-miss ratio?

I would say they have an AC/DC like consistency. When I say that understand that AC/DC was high on my list of favorite bands for many years.

Archived